A huge thanks and Merry Christmas/ Happy Chanukah

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
This year lots of you were kind enough to send me holiday messages and to say a thank you for this, and for all your support through 2005, I wanted to give a wee prezzie back.

So I’ve arranged for a well to be built on behalf of MoneySavers via the charity World Vision; it’s in a desolate part of Africa and will provide clean water for ten villages. The idea is that easy access to clean, fresh clear water will stop diseases and sickness; at any given time about half the people living in developing countries are suffering from water-related diseases.

To find out more about World Vision’s work to provide clean water and see how you can help read Water: A Ten Minute Guide

If you want to give a similar alternative prezzie to someone, check out World Visions’ gift catalogue. It has hundreds of gift ideas from a mosquito net to buy a bog (for someone with a sense of humour!).

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brilliant! What a great idea Martin. :j :rudolf: :xmassign:
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • megsykins
    Options
    Brilliant Idea!! *proud to be a Moneysaver*

I've bought my parents a toilet this year for Christmas! (from Oxfam Unwrapped though - £30 - is Moneysaving still good when it's going for the cheaper charity?!)
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    megsykins wrote:
    (from Oxfam Unwrapped though - £30 - is Moneysaving still good when it's going for the cheaper charity?!)
    I bought 3 x 100 school dinners from the same magazine for 3 people. I think I am going to be doing a bit of explaining though on Christmas Day. :)
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Options
    Thank you Martin for your generous present on our behalf.

If I may suggest, could we have a charity fund set up on the site?

I would be more than happy to donate some of my savings from your tips to the fund. Who knows we could sponsor a child through school or even build a school!!!!

What does everyone else think?

:xmassign: :xmastree: :rudolf: :xmassmile :snow_grin :santa2:
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi Cumbrian Male

We have a charity fund. There's more about it on the About Us page here

If you feel like donating please do donate to them directly, I'm sure they'd be really happy :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Options
    Thanks Andrea

It gives details of the fund but not how to donate. Also which charities will this years funds go to?

While I appreciate the reasons and idea behind a democratic vote. I prefer to know in advance where the money would go. Would it be possible to have a specific fund for "developing world economies" ( hate the term 3rd world ) to provide for schooling,health care etc.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi again

The charities' hyperlinks will take you to their sites where you'll find information on how to donate to them directly.

Having site users nominate and then vote on their favourite charities is how we do it at the moment as it's the fairest way for everyone to have their say on who should be considered for the charity fund. :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • peteraj
    peteraj Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks martin,
    Great idea, we did this at the school where I am a Governor last year, and it has prompted me to buy a goat instead of giving cards at work. Much more worthwhile and longer lasting.
    Have a great time everyone and save some money hey!

Peteraj
    Peteraj.

Trying hard to save money and trying to help friends do the same by finding the real "Moneysaving" bargains and avoiding companies that take my custom for granted.
  • madfrenchgirl
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone!

And Thx Martin for the well! It is the perfect pressy aside saving us lots of money all year round!
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's a great idea!

World vision are paying too much for their Vitamin A tablets - 100 for £14! You can get them cheaper at Boots :C
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure