Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 20th Dec 05, 4:12 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    A huge thanks and Merry Christmas/ Happy Chanukah
    • 20th Dec 05, 4:12 PM
    A huge thanks and Merry Christmas/ Happy Chanukah 20th Dec 05 at 4:12 PM
    This year lots of you were kind enough to send me holiday messages and to say a thank you for this, and for all your support through 2005, I wanted to give a wee prezzie back.

So Iíve arranged for a well to be built on behalf of MoneySavers via the charity World Vision; itís in a desolate part of Africa and will provide clean water for ten villages. The idea is that easy access to clean, fresh clear water will stop diseases and sickness; at any given time about half the people living in developing countries are suffering from water-related diseases.

To find out more about World Visionís work to provide clean water and see how you can help read Water: A Ten Minute Guide

If you want to give a similar alternative prezzie to someone, check out World Visionsí gift catalogue. It has hundreds of gift ideas from a mosquito net to buy a bog (for someone with a sense of humour!).

Last edited by MSE Martin; 20-12-2005 at 5:15 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Fran
    • By Fran 20th Dec 05, 6:30 PM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Fran
    • 20th Dec 05, 6:30 PM
    • 20th Dec 05, 6:30 PM
    Brilliant! What a great idea Martin.
    Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Energy, Small biz & Charities and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
    • megsykins
    • By megsykins 21st Dec 05, 2:33 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    megsykins
    • 21st Dec 05, 2:33 AM
    • 21st Dec 05, 2:33 AM
    Brilliant Idea!! *proud to be a Moneysaver*

I've bought my parents a toilet this year for Christmas! (from Oxfam Unwrapped though - £30 - is Moneysaving still good when it's going for the cheaper charity?!)
  • tigermatt
    • 21st Dec 05, 12:17 PM
    • 21st Dec 05, 12:17 PM
    (from Oxfam Unwrapped though - £30 - is Moneysaving still good when it's going for the cheaper charity?!)
    by megsykins
    I bought 3 x 100 school dinners from the same magazine for 3 people. I think I am going to be doing a bit of explaining though on Christmas Day.
    • Cumbrian Male
    • By Cumbrian Male 22nd Dec 05, 12:00 AM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Cumbrian Male
    • 22nd Dec 05, 12:00 AM
    Charity fund?
    • 22nd Dec 05, 12:00 AM
    Thank you Martin for your generous present on our behalf.

If I may suggest, could we have a charity fund set up on the site?

I would be more than happy to donate some of my savings from your tips to the fund. Who knows we could sponsor a child through school or even build a school!!!!

What does everyone else think?

• MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 22nd Dec 05, 12:09 AM
    • 9,262 Posts
    • 22,116 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 22nd Dec 05, 12:09 AM
    • 22nd Dec 05, 12:09 AM
    Hi Cumbrian Male

We have a charity fund. There's more about it on the About Us page here

If you feel like donating please do donate to them directly, I'm sure they'd be really happy
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cumbrian Male
    • By Cumbrian Male 22nd Dec 05, 2:48 AM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Cumbrian Male
    • 22nd Dec 05, 2:48 AM
    • 22nd Dec 05, 2:48 AM
    Thanks Andrea

It gives details of the fund but not how to donate. Also which charities will this years funds go to?

While I appreciate the reasons and idea behind a democratic vote. I prefer to know in advance where the money would go. Would it be possible to have a specific fund for "developing world economies" ( hate the term 3rd world ) to provide for schooling,health care etc.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 22nd Dec 05, 7:41 AM
    • 9,262 Posts
    • 22,116 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 22nd Dec 05, 7:41 AM
    • 22nd Dec 05, 7:41 AM
    Hi again

The charities' hyperlinks will take you to their sites where you'll find information on how to donate to them directly.

Having site users nominate and then vote on their favourite charities is how we do it at the moment as it's the fairest way for everyone to have their say on who should be considered for the charity fund.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • peteraj
    • By peteraj 22nd Dec 05, 12:28 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    peteraj
    • 22nd Dec 05, 12:28 PM
    Merry Christmas Martin and all Moneysavers
    • 22nd Dec 05, 12:28 PM
    Thanks martin,
    Great idea, we did this at the school where I am a Governor last year, and it has prompted me to buy a goat instead of giving cards at work. Much more worthwhile and longer lasting.
    Have a great time everyone and save some money hey!

Peteraj
  • madfrenchgirl
    Merry Christmas everyone!

And Thx Martin for the well! It is the perfect pressy aside saving us lots of money all year round!
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
    • mr_fishbulb
    • By mr_fishbulb 22nd Dec 05, 12:43 PM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 2,818 Thanks
    mr_fishbulb
    That's a great idea!

World vision are paying too much for their Vitamin A tablets - 100 for £14! You can get them cheaper at Boots :C
    • carly
    • By carly 22nd Dec 05, 2:25 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    carly
    Thanks for that , Martin. It's a marvellous idea. This is my favourite site on the internet because of all the generous helpful people I come across everyday.
    • don9999
    • By don9999 22nd Dec 05, 4:52 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    don9999
    Urgent - Be Aware!
    Upon receiving Martin's latest newsletter, I too went to the Worldvision web site to donate some money.

However......I have found a problem with their site!

As I tried to place an order, I was given access to other people's accounts! I was shown their name, address and E-mail address, and had access to the screen to changed their password.

I contacted them immediately to let them know.

Even as I placed my order/donation, I was being told that confirmation of my order would be sent to SOMEONE ELSE'S E-mail address! Indeed, I have not received any confirmation of my donation.

BUT......I have started to receive confirmation of OTHER PEOPLE'S donations - the latest one being for over £90.

I urge caution for the time being......

I have contacted the site again and they are still investigating - I'm awaiting a call back.

I don't want to stop people donating, but likewise I think people should be weary. In particular I am concerned that if they have a security problem on their site, whether someone could get access to my credit card details.

I'll update this site, when I've had my call back from them.

Cheers,
    Don
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
    • don9999
    • By don9999 22nd Dec 05, 5:47 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    don9999
    It seems like their site is completely messed up.

Apparently, when I tried to create an account, I didn't actually create a 'new' account, but changed someone elses! So when I made a donation, it was regsitered under THAT person's name, and they received an E-mail confirming the donation.

Then.....the next person who tried to make a donation, tried to set up an account, but ended up changing MY account details. He made a number of donations, and confirmation op 'those' donations were sent to me.

I suspect that the NEXT person to visit the site to make a donation, will 'think' they are setting up an account, but will end up changing the prior person's details. 'Their' confirmation E-mail will be sent to that prior person's E-mail.

And on, and on....

They are still investigating, as it looks a mess to me......

MY donation has been registered under someone else's name!

Cheers,
    Don
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Me Myself
    Thanks for a great site Martin.

The only downside is that I'm sure my family and friends get fed up of me saying "my friend Martin ....".

Merry Christmas all

Things can only get better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin