We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Holidays for 'family of 5'

Options

Comments

• mumto3princesses
    Options
    We have three daughters (8,6 and 3)and have struggled to find suitable hotel accommodation at a reasonable price.

Last year we found a hotel in Tunisia which could accommodate us in two rooms with inter-connecting doors. Although not the greatest quality it was very inexpensive - we paid about £1700 (including flights) for 11 days in May school holidays, all inclusive, and the staff were fantastic, especially with the children - a mini disco each night and mini-club if they wanted it.

We had such a great time we went back again this year! We have struggled to find anything comparable anywhere else for less than about £3500. We found it through travelrepublic.

Next year we are off to Florida, sharing a villa with friends, but the girls have already asked if we can go back to Tunisia after that!
  • smashandgrab
    smashandgrab Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    We have girls aged 7,3,2. We go abroad Feb and October using cheap flights and self catering accomodation in 2 bed apts. We ususally manage the whole thing for one week for way less than £1000 to Costa Del Sol. In summer we go away loads in our touring caravan. All mod cons for a reasonable investment, considering the price of summer hols.
    April we went to Belgium on North Sea ferries and used Tesco vouchers (offer now ended) and then paid only £10.60 a night for an excellent campsite.

Summer in August we go to France (North). Crossing £179 and site £10.60 a night using campingcheques.

I know that caravinning is not everybody's cup of tea and there is an initial investment but I also know for sure that we would not be able to afford half the breaks we get if it were not for the caravan.

I'd love to share our expreiences with others so feel free to ask
  • SugarSnap
    SugarSnap Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try...
    http://www.alpineelements.co.uk/activity-holidays/family-holiday-deals.html

Also Esprit Holidays, a summer and winter independent company cater for families and offer all-inc holidays. Their brochure prices are high but they are worth checking for late deals, though they have none for 5+ families now.

We never book more than 3 months in advance and haven't taken our girls (7,4) out of school yet. We try and remain flexible and not be too ridged on country. We go abroad twice a year as a rule; summer and winter. Summer is never hotel, we just feel too couped up for 2 weeks in a hotel room so get a villa from owners on one of the following; holiday-rentals, ownersdirect and holidaylettings - all co.uk.

Also just booked a short break to Ireland only last week to visit family, we're flying on the 28th July for £30 return - for me and the girls. Ryanair's 0.00p flights, only paying taxes.

I hope you get what you want.
  • JulieCP_2
    JulieCP_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    We have 3 kids, aged 9, 7 and 7 (got 2 for the price of 1!!) and have always found it a real challenge getting a well priced holiday. Last year we went to Disneyland Paris for a week (my twins got free due to the 15th anniversary) and then we went to a campsite in the Loire Valley. Campsite was booked through Leisure Direction.com. We paid £445 for the week and were put in a great Thomson caravan. Priced the caravan with Thomson when we came home for the same week and it would have been over £800!
    This August we are off to Spain as we had rubbish weather in France and felt a bit cheated. We booked our flights with Jet2 for £525 and have booked a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, all singing all dancing apartment in the Costa Del Sol for £1200 for 2 weeks. Bo0ked through platinum-gold.co.uk. Car hire is costing about £280, so whole hoiday is about £2050. I don't think that's too bad and hopefully we'll have a great time.
    :j
  • Droop
    Droop Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Smi1er let us know where you will be on holiday next, I'll make sure I avoid it when you're there if your idea of 'fun with the family' is soaking the camera/camcorder of others.

I'll refrain from commenting on your other inappropriate comments to a valid question raised in this topic.
  • shelby161
    shelby161 Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Juliecp-do you mind me asking which company you used for car hire please-we are thinking of doing something similar next year-thanks in advance!
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mammabint wrote: »
    Hi, we also have the same problem with finding a holiday for our family, my boys are 18, 14, 3 and 1! We also have been very happy with Thomson holidays but now have our latest addition to the family and cannot find a hotel to accomodate us all without paying almost as much as much as double.
    Camping with our baby would not work as he wakes up (and everyone else) as soon as it is light, self catering is an option but with a family as large as ours, it would certaintly not be a holiday for me!
    Anyone with helpful suggestions please help as it's now very late to be booking and I've been trying for months now with no joy.

I am surprised the 18 yr old wants to accompany mum & dad on holiday:eek: ! lol
  • sarahscraps
    Options
    if going to florida a villa for 5 worked out about £65 a night per villa, where as a hotel paid per person and an extra fee for 'roll out' bed for our 5th person, our villa was for 3 bedrooms and a pool what more can you ask for -altogether in one place but room to spread out and get some alone time if wish it
  • sarahscraps
    Options
    forgot to say we booked through Bon Voyage in Southampton, very helpful people
  • mussell02
    mussell02 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    If you book your apartments and flights seperate you will still make a huge saving rather than any package deal. try travel republic for apartments and monarch for flights . you can also book transfers to your apartments if needed
    don9999 wrote: »
    I'm sure I can't be the 'only' family of 5 on the forum.....
    We have three children, aged 9, 6 and 4.
    We have usually managed one holiday each year since the eldest was born.
    In the early days, things were relatively easy - but when the youngest turned 2, things got a LOT harder.......finding hotels that can accommodate 5 is VERY hard to do.....

Web searches will often ask for number and ages of children, and list numerous available holidays. But then when you select for more information, you find that the rooms can only accommodate 3 or 4, and you end up getting costed for 2 rooms! Which is 'usually' very expensive!

We've often been to a Thomson Family hotel and been pretty happy with them - especially the fact that there is daily entertainment especially targeted at the children eg. kid's discos, party games etc. A few years ago we went to the Corfu Plaza hotel, which could accommodate 5 in a 2-bed appartement, and was reasonably priced.

Last year we settled for a Keycamp holiday, staying in a mobile home for a couple of weeks in Vendee, France. Reasonable price, nice pool etc. (though kid's entertainment not as good as at Thomsons.) The only downside was the drive there and back - and the weather wasn't brilliant.

This year, we'd like to try a package holiday again. So it's back to the arduous trawl through brochures and web-sites etc... looking for something suitable, but not costing the earth!

I thought I'd start a thread where us 'family of 5's could discuss our options etc...

Please feel free to add your experiences, and most importantly, what you are considering (or have booked) for this year...

Cheers,
    Don

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business