PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• skintscotslass
    skintscotslass Posts: 2,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    Good Morning all, I have a Asda delivery coming tonight which is £26 something but as I have said before I am not paying for this - my Mum is. Would people count this in there challenge if someone else has bought your shopping?

Personally, I dont. My BF doesnt live with me, but I feed him when he's here and if he buys groceries, then I dont count it ;)
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I too cooked spag bol today and lasagne and a batch of hobnobs;)
    Dose this mean that I don't have to cook anymore hobnobs for you sis:j
    GC July £250/
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    kbl wrote: »
    I usually find that if I use 500g mince, 2 tins chopped tom (Lidl, 21c), large onion, mixed peppers, mixed herbs and tom puree, can get two decent dinners out of that for my gang of 4 fussy hoovers.

You can make it stretch to another meal if you add a couple of grated carrots and a handful or two of oats. ;)

Whenever I do spag bol or chilli or meatballs I always make sure it stretches to 3 meals (for 3) from 500g mince. (If I added peppers/mushrooms to the spag bol/chilli it would probably make another meal too)
    wiseowl1 wrote: »
    Havent signed up for this before. Does it include all spending or just food/supermarket stuff? ... Help!

You can include anything that you want in your GC budget. Most people include groceries, toiletries, cleaning/household products and pet food. Basically whatever they buy with their grocery shopping. Others just include food shopping only. It's up to you how you want to do it. HTH

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    I'm in again for £370 for June.

May was a lot better, £331 out of a budget of £380 :) But that had to make up for the disaster of April (£452 spent from a £370 budget :eek:)
    So aiming to make up that £35 this month but it could be tricky...we'll see
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    yello and how is everybody this evening all well i hope... quiet chuffed with myself today :D i bought a freezer on ebay for £18 coz mine it rubbish for space so now theres plenty... got dropped off about lunch which i have to say was very nicer of the ebayer since i had no car to pick it up... got home for my daughters hearing test and started to fill it up :D it now has 3 tubs of grated cheese, tubs of sliced peppers, 2 tubs of chopped red onion and 4 tubs of carrots whichs been through my juicer which is out of 2 bags of carrot i got 1 1/2 juice and i wasnt going to waste the carrot so its ready to bulk out..well anything :rotfl: plus now i had have to grate carrots for cake :rotfl: gonna fill it some more tomorrow yay! im so happy... is that sad? :rotfl:.. also got a letter today saying they givin me £270 for redecorating the flat after the council have finished fixin up my flat but since ive already set the money out for it it'll pay off my rent arrears... one less debt!!!!!!! sorry over the top but it gets them off my back xxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • kbl
    kbl Posts: 340 Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    You can make it stretch to another meal if you add a couple of grated carrots and a handful or two of oats. ;)

Whenever I do spag bol or chilli or meatballs I always make sure it stretches to 3 meals (for 3) from 500g mince. (If I added peppers/mushrooms to the spag bol/chilli it would probably make another meal too)

Nikki
    x
    Will try the carrots next time, don't think I could get three meals out of it, my 3 eat like horses and hubby is worse! Do you mind me asking, what way do you do the chilli and meatballs? I make chilli but haven't been able to make it streeeeetch to more than one meal (till now, of course:p )
    Credit card €7892.36/€ 0
    Catalogues €767.52/€ 0
    hospital costs €550
    wtshtf fund 0/ €2000
    #13 1% challenge - 0
  • Judellie
    Judellie Posts: 114 Forumite
    Hi

Please could someone tell me how to do the signatures at the bottom of the posts. Can't figure it out. Thanks in advance.
    Went to mrS last night,normally pick up heinz ketchup, until I looked at the price per 100g,compared with mrS own brand speechless-smiley-040.gif. Heinz was about 28p per100g, whilst own brand was only 9p per 100g!! Guess which one my kids are getting from now on biggrin.gif

Jude xx
    GC June: £350/405.56
    GC July: £350 spent
    [STRIKE]£22[/STRIKE]99.51
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Hi Guys,

Well so much for a no spend day, considering how well I did yesterday I went to mr t's today and bought loads of whoopsies, couldnt believe how cheap all the meat was. It came to £30.26 and I asked if they took morrisons £5 sun voucher as (sorry can't remember whoput it on but a big thank you) I read on here that they do and low and behold they did so it only cost me £25.26!!!!!!!!
    Think I went a little mad and my 3/4 full freezer is now bursting again!
    A M A Z I N G!!!!:beer:

will have to re-arrange the monthly meals but who cares.
    :T
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi there Judellie .

If you put your budget in red MrsM will add it to her list that goes on the first page of the month's challenge.

You can set up a signature to keep track of your spends on. Go onto where it says Quick Links (near the Log Out Button) and in the User Control Panel it says Edit Signature
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2009 at 7:12PM
    kbl wrote: »
    Will try the carrots next time, don't think I could get three meals out of it, my 3 eat like horses and hubby is worse! Do you mind me asking, what way do you do the chilli and meatballs? I make chilli but haven't been able to make it streeeeetch to more than one meal (till now, of course:p )

Chilli makes 3 meals for 3

500g beef steak mince
    beef oxo cube
    1 large diced onion
    2 grated carrots
    squirt of tomato puree
    1 or 2 tins chopped tomatoes (or 1 carton passata)
    1 or 2 tins of baked beans (my mum always used to add these)
    1 tin of kidney beans (drained)
    [optional] 2 handfuls of oats - add 1/2 tin of water if you add oats
    squirt of ketchup
    chilli powder to taste
    [optional] extra chopped veg: courgette, mushrooms, peppers, squash, sweet potato, etc

Brown the mince with the chopped onion, grated carrot and oxo. Add the tomato puree, cook for 1 min, then add the other ingredients and simmer :cool:

You could also add a couple of handfuls of red split lentils to spag bol/chilli to s-t-r-e-e-t-c-h it further. I never do because they take 30-40 mins to cook and I like to have dinner done in 20mins as I cant stand for too long.

Meatballs makes 3 meals for 3 - usually 45 small meatballs

500g mince (can use pork, turkey, lamb or beef mince)
    3 or 4 slices of bread ripped up into little pieces and soaked in milk
    [optional] finely diced onion
    herbs/spices of your choice (I normally use oregano or thyme with turkey/pork meatballs; and I use curry powder with lamb to make kofta meatballs)
    squirt of ketchup to help bind

Mix up the mixture really well with your hands. Then wet your hands with cold water when forming the meatballs as this stops them sticking. I use a tin of chopped tomatoes with some tomato puree,a squirt of ketchup and some herbs for the sauce.

I freeze the meatballs on a baking tray and then put in a freezer bag once frozen and make the tomato sauce fresh for each meal as it only takes a couple of mins to heat.

You could add a grated apple to pork meatballs/ chopped dried apricots if using lamb mince to add a bit more flavour and to stretch further ;)

Nikki x
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family