Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 14
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 29th May 08, 7:35 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Will try the carrots next time, don't think I could get three meals out of it, my 3 eat like horses and hubby is worse! Do you mind me asking, what way do you do the chilli and meatballs? I make chilli but haven't been able to make it streeeeetch to more than one meal (till now, of course )
    Originally posted by kbl
    Chilli makes 3 meals for 3

500g beef steak mince
    beef oxo cube
    1 large diced onion
    2 grated carrots
    squirt of tomato puree
    1 or 2 tins chopped tomatoes (or 1 carton passata)
    1 or 2 tins of baked beans (my mum always used to add these)
    1 tin of kidney beans (drained)
    [optional] 2 handfuls of oats - add 1/2 tin of water if you add oats
    squirt of ketchup
    chilli powder to taste
    [optional] extra chopped veg: courgette, mushrooms, peppers, squash, sweet potato, etc

Brown the mince with the chopped onion, grated carrot and oxo. Add the tomato puree, cook for 1 min, then add the other ingredients and simmer

You could also add a couple of handfuls of red split lentils to spag bol/chilli to s-t-r-e-e-t-c-h it further. I never do because they take 30-40 mins to cook and I like to have dinner done in 20mins as I cant stand for too long.

Meatballs makes 3 meals for 3 - usually 45 small meatballs

500g mince (can use pork, turkey, lamb or beef mince)
    3 or 4 slices of bread ripped up into little pieces and soaked in milk
    [optional] finely diced onion
    herbs/spices of your choice (I normally use oregano or thyme with turkey/pork meatballs; and I use curry powder with lamb to make kofta meatballs)
    squirt of ketchup to help bind

Mix up the mixture really well with your hands. Then wet your hands with cold water when forming the meatballs as this stops them sticking. I use a tin of chopped tomatoes with some tomato puree,a squirt of ketchup and some herbs for the sauce.

I freeze the meatballs on a baking tray and then put in a freezer bag once frozen and make the tomato sauce fresh for each meal as it only takes a couple of mins to heat.

You could add a grated apple to pork meatballs/ chopped dried apricots if using lamb mince to add a bit more flavour and to stretch further

Nikki x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 29-05-2009 at 6:12 PM. Reason: adding method
  • Girl least likely to
    OMG - page 7 already! Will catch up later with all the posts.........

For now I'd like to set my June target at 170. Think this will be a challenge as last month I had a few good whoopsie hauls and you never know when the next one is due.

I'll be walking around Tesco's with a calculator tomorrow. I have a 9 off 60 spend clubcard voucher to use up, tomorrow being it's last day. There's no way I would spend this normally (not since starting the GC ) but 9 off is too good to miss out on. I'm gonna stock up on lots of my fave value items, hopefully get some whoopsies, see if there's any offers in toys for pressies, and generally have a good nosey round until I reach 60 . I also have a few MOC's worth nearly 5 so hope I'll be able to use those.

Good luck to everyone this month
  • Judellie
    Thanks Carolt2
    I think I'm already included. Have tried the signature - hope it works

Jude xx
    GC June: 350/405.56
    GC July: 350 spent
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening all

Have been sat making a list of all the bits i need tomorrow... gonna be doing a sweep of all the supermarket i think ..why can't they put all the offers n bargains under one roof for me :confused:

So i will be doing Aldi and plus in the morning and then hubby will drive me to LIDL when he gets home from work..too far to walk especially with 48 x 1.5litre bottle of water ... As much as i begrudge buying water ... i do get through loads of sparkling and at only 15c a bottle i supose i will cope...
    We had the roast chicken with salad (leaves out of my potio again -think i can stop buying lettuce all together now ) and steamed potatoes ..hubby has the same packed for lunch tomorrow...
    Im stripping off some more of the meat to make a pasta salad and then hubby has requested i turn the rest in to his fave...chicken n sweetcorn soup...THIS WEATHER
    I did extra potatoes to for potato salad mmmm and have picked out the potatoes that are going to get planted... i am getting an obsession for growing potatoes.. I now actually find myself looking for bags with a couple spruting in it

On the potio front... if all the flowers on my broad beans turn into a pod im going to have shed loads ..they are awash with them and they smel like honeysuckle or orange blossom..so next year im putting the pots by the patio doors
    Have potted on my pak choi seedlings.. have about 50 and my melons are getting flowers
    Hoping to spend the weekend potting a few bits on and setting more seeds... determined to grow as much as i can...

Hubby has decided he would like a new driver for his golf for his birthday ... should be 200 but with the tax off its about 150...and I have to decide what i want most for birthday/xmas... another chest freezer or a lovely jubbly electric ice cream maker..the one i have been hanging my nose over for ages in lakeland -the one that doesn't have a bowl to freeze first ..think that might win as if i can find one out here i can get the tax taken off and i can always get another chest freezer when we move back to the uk..the small ones are only a bit over 100 ..unless i can think of something else that would be more usefull :rolleyes: -hubby won't usually get me anything he considers to be for the house..but im winning him round

right sorry for the ramble..will get off
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • frankerooney
    • By frankerooney 29th May 08, 8:35 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 3,429 Thanks
    frankerooney
    MrsM I'm here again with a budget of £180 for June - could you add me to the list please. Thank you!

I worked out that in May I spent 75% of my £180 groceries budget on non-food items (toiletries, cleaning stuff & household items such as clingfilm, batteries, drinking glasses). Has anyone else done this calculation? Is this typical?
  • tiptoes
    well we've been out with my sis, BIL and nephew today and have spent 14 on junk food as itwas an unplanned trip out. I was ony going to pick DS up as he stayed last night. Normally I would either take a packed lunch or go out after luch and take drinks and snacks with me.
    GC: 400/ 0
    • happytails
    • By happytails 29th May 08, 8:51 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 9,233 Thanks
    happytails
    doing our ASDA shop tomorrow at around 6am. Going to stock up on the SP stuff and miss out the alcohol, chocolate and crisps aisles. Hoping it will be quiet at that time!
    Then going to Lidl at some point to pick up the toilet cleaner someone recommended on the save the pennies thread Going to stock up on white vinegar and bi carb whilst im out
    MFW Total 183,637.21 to clear by 2035
    DFW Total 35,420 to clear by 2024

2019 in 2019 0.00/2019
  • Emmsie21
    Hi all

I would love to join in this month (1st time!) and have set a budget of 40 per week.

I have no idea how much I have spent previously :confused: and tended to start out with good intentions but then I end up buying rubbish and getting carried away

40 per week may or may not be enough but we shall see.........:rolleyes:
    • galadriel
    • By galadriel 29th May 08, 9:07 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    galadriel
    Had a no spend day today. As I am off work, I took the dog for a long walk then came back and did some baking. A lot of the stuff I used was on its use by date, flour, marg, eggs, sultanas and golden syrup so I feel quite virtuous. I made a Victoria sponge, sandwiched with my mum's home made blackberry jam, rock buns and Twink's hobnob biscuits. My son and his mate have declared these 'awesome' - praise indeed from two 18 year olds. Then made a sausage casserole using an out of date casserole mix and some veg that was heading for the compost bin. We will probably have food poisoning next eating all this old stuff. At least if the boys are ill I can blame it on the beer as they have gone out on the town now

• savingfortravel
    Hi everyone!!

OB didn't get the job so the CA adventure is off!!
    Feel upset but I know its not that important in the grand scheme of things. Have to take the R.B Toucan off the fridge.

Went on (another) whoopsie hunt to cheer me up... didn't work but I did get some bargains. Will update my sig accordingly. Not sure how to change my name..

SF.....?????????
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 29th May 08, 9:20 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Sorry to hear that SFT ((((Hugs))))

I've got my fingers crossed for you that he finds something else. Dont give up on your dream. You'll get there - just gonna take a bit longer than you had planned.

Nikki
    xx
  • savingfortravel
    Thanks Angelnikki.. I feel that we could save up for it but would it be right to spend so much money on a trip if we're just on my income...
    I had anticipated that if we'd continued as we were..by the end of the year the GC savings could have paid for 1 of us.
    I don't know whether to think with my head or heart about this...
    What would you do?

Sorry guys about this being off topic

SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
  • mumzyof2
    Im so sorry to hear that Savingfortravel (((HUGS)))
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 29th May 08, 9:32 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    Meanwhile I'm on an organic kick, I'm getting a standard bag of mixed fruit and veg and 6 eggs for 11.50. Has anybody any idea how many bits of fruit and veg there would be? I'll not be amused if it is one potato, one apple and one onion for that price!
    Originally posted by Scenic Route
    I was wondering the same thing .There is a veggie box scheme restarting in our area(Mid-Wales and sparsley(sp) populated),but I have become so penny conscious(pinching) I think it will go against the grain to spend money:confused:

I have just finished a sack of onions that were bought about 5 weeks ago for 3,so a 10 box with 1 onion -OMG

J
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
    • cookinmummy
    • By cookinmummy 29th May 08, 9:33 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 73,730 Thanks
    cookinmummy
    doing our ASDA shop tomorrow at around 6am. Going to stock up on the SP stuff and miss out the alcohol, chocolate and crisps aisles. Hoping it will be quiet at that time!
    Then going to Lidl at some point to pick up the toilet cleaner someone recommended on the save the pennies thread Going to stock up on white vinegar and bi carb whilst im out
    Originally posted by happytails
    What loo cleaner? Lidl own brand?:confused:
    • Lula-Hula
    • By Lula-Hula 29th May 08, 9:34 PM
    • 7,850 Posts
    • 25,711 Thanks
    Lula-Hula
    MrsM I'm here again with a budget of 180 for June - could you add me to the list please. Thank you!

I worked out that in May I spent 75% of my 180 groceries budget on non-food items (toiletries, cleaning stuff & household items such as clingfilm, batteries, drinking glasses). Has anyone else done this calculation? Is this typical?
    Originally posted by frankerooney

Hello,

how about getting a battery charger & rechargeable batteries ? They're more expensive to start with but soon pay for themselves as can be charged hundreds of times. I have some that we've been using for a couple of years.

Also, how about buying the small jars of nutella with the bendy lid ? We use these as cheap everyday glasses 2 items in one

Lula
  • annelouise
    Hola,

Am gnashing at the bit to start on my June budget but don't need anything just yet.....

Having completed my Spanish grocery price check I will be doing the most of my shopping at Lidl and Aldi,Mercadona is cheap for Pork steaks but otherwise I can get almost absolutely everything else at Lidl and Aldi.

With a 4c (milk & rice) here and a 50c (CHICKEN FILLETS / 3KG POTATOES) there it will soon add up.

Have taken carrot and apple muffins out of freezer for packed lunches tomorrow,then we are having left overs for tea.Spag bol for DD8 ,Pork and potatoes for DS4.DD9 is at a sleepover.

Saturday we are driving to Los Alcazares to visit friends over from the Uk so they'll be feeding us - yippee.

So maybe Monday I can have a shop - although I do have burgers ,fish n chips,jackets various,pasta with pesto on next Mon - Thu menus.

I also have 4 flour,2 sugar,4 carton's of juice,8 litres of milk,cereal bars,biscuits,breakfast cereals,bread,eggs,beer,sangria and cakes in the cupboards so maybe I'll have even better budget month than May which is still looking to come in at 20 euro's under budget.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 29th May 08, 9:35 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Thanks Angelnikki.. I feel that we could save up for it but would it be right to spend so much money on a trip if we're just on my income...
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    Of course it would be. (not if it put you in a bad financial position though) Your life is for living and enjoying not just for getting by. I would delay the trip as obviously you shouldnt do it when you dont have the money, but once you've saved up enough then go for it. Go with your heart - this isnt a rehersal after all.

Nikki
    x
  • miecherox
    Strawberries everywhere!
    Seriously pleased with DH - sent him to ASDA for milk and told him to look out for any whoopsies.

And back he trotted with 10 punnets of strawberries for 1.80!! He's now in the kitchen making strawberry jam (suits him actually ). Have made a strawberry trifle using whoopsied pancakes instead of sponge fingers, have also made a strawberry sauce/puree for ice cream/yogurt etc and there's still enough left over for breakfast tomorrow!! Yum Yum! Really pleased as feeding six for the next few days...

I love a bargain!

M x
    #118 DFW Debt freely Christmas 2012 Challenge
  • savingfortravel
    Just read your message angelnikki
    You're right.. not a rehearsal... so I'll keep my dream going....OB just told me that we musn't give up and we'll def get there....
    Still going to give him big hugs now though

Thanks guys, you're all great

SFT (in the future)
    Last edited by savingfortravel; 29-05-2008 at 9:41 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

925Posts Today

7,119Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Morning. I'm on way to @thismorning to talk a subject I've been planning a while - financial abuse (a form of domes? https://t.co/HVIOhjZOf2

• RT @steve_ej: @MartinSLewis I like all of the comments about privacy, and I bet most people concerned about privacy also have a smartphone.?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Do you have a Smart speaker, and if so what brand?

• Follow Martin