O2 ruined my credit

I have just tried to order a contract phone from 3 out of one of our many high street mobile phone shops, only to be turned down for credit reasons. I called the credit control people on a number given to me by 3 and they have told me that 5years ago I ordered a contract phone from O2 (which i never recieved and therefore cancelled the order) and they charged me £20 for it, because I never payed the bill (that i also never recieved) they have then put it down as a non payment so now I have bad credit.

I called O2 and they have now taken it off their books but it'll now be a few years before my credit is classed as good again and i can get another contract phone.

I wonder now what else this is going to screw up for me credit wise.

I really hate O2 now as they have not just screwed me out of good credit but out of a new phone, a cheap contract and an ipod shuffle that was part of the shops deal.

*many expleatives deleted*

Rant over but I am so out for O2's blood now, they will pay, oh yes they will pay.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Hello Floor Make Me A Sandwich!

Comments

• Have you considered writing a strongly worded letter to O2's Customer Services? Also, try to find out their Customer Services Director's name (should maybe get it from website, if not O2 should provide you with it) and include his name on or somewhere in the letter.

You might get some type of compensation out of them - worth a try fro the price of a stamp!!!!
    A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
  • worth a try, i'm going to call the credit control people first to get all the dates and reference numbers then i'll give it a go, thanks.
  • I think you can probably corner them using the Data Protection Act on this one. If you dont have any luck getting it corrected with O2, you can probably resolve it doing this data protection act route, towards the company which actually holds the data (the credit reference agency in this case).

You should point out to them that you believe they are in breach of the Data Protection Act, principles 3 and 4 (basically says data must be relevant and data must also be accurate). If the data they hold is not accurate then they are in breach, and must correct it.

You should ask them to correct it (if its wrong i think i'd want it totally removed), and say that unless they do by a specified date you will ask the information comissioner to make a ruling on this. Any letters about data protection should be addressed to the data protection manager, and sending them by recorded delivery would be a good idea.

You also have a right to compensation under the DPA, if you have lost out as a result of this. For example, lets say by the time you resolve this the deal you wanted on 3 is no longer available and you end up paying more because you missed the offer of this mistake on your file... or you are stuck paying more on your current contract than what this new 3 contract would have you paying, but you cant switch becuase of this credit mistake. Compensation like this is covered for under the DPA.
  • dude, totally, thanks. That really helps. really thanks.
  • asharon
    asharon Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In cases like this if you can't have it removed from your creidt file whch should be possible you can ask them to inlcude a note about the mix up on the file.
    Nice to save.
  • cool, i hope that helps too.
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    In case anyone needs it:

O2 Customer Services
    Suite G
    Arlington Business Centre
    Millshaw Park Lane
    Leeds
    West Yorkshire
    LS11 ONE

Hope it helps.....
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • i will so be using that thanks.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A note on your file is nowhere near as good as total removal of the erroneous data. I would definitely insist O2 get the false data removed.

The reason for this is that many lenders use automated scoring systems which don't take account of explanatory notes - they just see that you have a default and you lose points. Unless the case gets manually reviewed, the apparent default damages your reputation without the mitigation being taken into account.
  • I have now called O2 back twice and they have said that it had all been corrected previously and there should be nothing left on it. but there is still coming up that my credit is bad. One very strong letter coming up to O2. I can't believe my credit is screwed up by them that i can't get a contract phone now, i've had my pay-as-you-go one now for 3 years and its a bit out of date and not really working and i don't want to have to shell out for a full price phone on PAYG. i want to get a decent contract and now i can't. Grrrrrrrrrr.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport