FREE BT Broadband I-Plate (£1.20 P&P)

Dunx69
Dunx69 Posts: 183 Forumite
edited 30 June 2009 at 9:15PM in Freebies (low spend)
BT is offering all its BT Broadband customers a free I-plate as long as you pay the £1.20 P&P

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25075&s_cid=btb_FURL_accelerator

Info:

The new name for the I-plate which can improve speeds of your BB by up to 1.5mb - its not 100% but now its free its well worth a try and can easily be removed if it makes it worse. Its supposed to cut down on the noise and interference on the line.

Just ordered and the £1.20 charge goes on your BB bill so theres no getting around it for non BT customers unless you get a friend to order one.

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert

For a full run down of the i-plate, what it does and how it works see the Forum Note: BT i-Plate

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
All hail the Jack Daniels Swozzler!:beer:

Comments

• Dunx69
    By the way the I-plate was retailing and still is for non bt customers at £11.99 (approx) so your getting a good bargain.
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Worked for me and I just have a BT phone line but a different DSL provider...so above should read all BT customers.
  • farci
    farci Posts: 20 Forumite
    zcaprd7 wrote: »
    Worked for me and I just have a BT phone line but a different DSL provider...so above should read all BT customers.
    Confirm that - just enter your BT phone line details and it's on its way!:T
  • billinge
    billinge Posts: 75 Forumite
    My phone line is actually with Tiscali, but the order went through ok.
    We shall see what happens.
  • keeleycoop
    keeleycoop Posts: 78 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm with talktalk and it went through too. Hope it arrives!
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can do this for free anyway, using this guide, dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html. Sounds like it's doing pretty much the same thing.

You just need to pull out one or two wires, it's not as scary as it sounds, and you don't need to be an engineer. The wires are held in a grip, you can just slide them out with a pair of tweezers, and if something did go wrong, you could put them back in just as easily.

I done this awhile ago, and noticed a significant speed boost, can't remember the exact details, but definitely worth the 2 minutes it took to go round my house and slide out a couple of wires.

Remember to test your speed before and after to see what the speed improvement is, there is a good speed test here thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html.

hmm, apparently I'm not allowed to use links...
  • Dunx69
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can do this for free anyway, using this guide, dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html. Sounds like it's doing pretty much the same thing.

You just need to pull out one or two wires, it's not as scary as it sounds, and you don't need to be an engineer. The wires are held in a grip, you can just slide them out with a pair of tweezers, and if something did go wrong, you could put them back in just as easily.

I done this awhile ago, and noticed a significant speed boost, can't remember the exact details, but definitely worth the 2 minutes it took to go round my house and slide out a couple of wires.

Remember to test your speed before and after to see what the speed improvement is, there is a good speed test here thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html.

hmm, apparently I'm not allowed to use links...

never tried this but remember if you get it wrong an engineer visit charge is £115 plus how long it it takes for him to fix, for £1.20 P&P your better off with the i-plate me thinks rather than risking the above...
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why don't you just get Virgin, which speeds the line up by about minimum 2 fold ;)
  • davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Why don't you just get Virgin, which speeds the line up by about minimum 2 fold ;)

Until you actually use it and then it grinds back down to a comparative crawl ;););)
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The I-Plate is a complete waste of money.
    As pointed out above its quite easy to remove the faceplate off your master socket and carefully remove the bell wire connection to pin 3.
    Read the dslzone article to find out how.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

Of course you need to have a master socket like this one:

nte5-idc-terminals-group-large.jpg

This is an I-Plate BTW

iplate_1.jpg
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure