Great 'What to Buy in Pound Shops' Hunt. What should and shouldn't you grab?

Options
MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 23 November 2009 at 4:05PM in Shop but don't drop
Don’t ask the price ... it’s £1! Though I used to have a Saturday job in Poundland, and couldn't get over how many people asked me that. :)

Pound shops have a powerful premise: they draw you in with goods that usually cost over a quid, and hope you’ll buy some less valuable items too.

Therefore we want to tap MoneySavers’ knowledge to find the best value deals in pound shops. What should and shouldn’t you grab?

Please include the normal price and the pound shop price.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Gunna
    Gunna Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Well in my town we have about 4 poundshops now and they are huge(just shows how popular they have become). When i go in i usually spend over a tenner as i stock up on bargains on a recent trip i got:

Ambi pur refills normally i pay about £2.50 each for these

dog toys and cat toys...great value compared to the pet shop , but watch out for cheap made stuff that rips apart easily.

body sprays.....i got impulse or charlie you don't save a fortune on these but if buying 3 or 4 it does save nearly £2

christmas decorations.....there is a super variety and it is just as good as the stuff twice, 3 times the price in the likes of BHS and such.

some food stuffs, such as crisps and coffee buying a few of these does save me a few ££££'s lol

Gifts for kids.....there is lots of silly kids toys which for a quid make ideal stocking fillers for friends kids and bulk up what i am giving them for a few £££'s more.

car stuff......can get some good gadgets for the car and cleaning stuff saves me a good fiver sometimes.

Hmmm will have to think what else i get...... :)
  • nothavingfun..
    Options
    i find that the dog toys are good - they always seem to have those rope ragger things, which are £2.99 in morrisons!!

kitchen stuff like sieves etc. stationary, candles christmas deccies, microfibre cloths.
    I can't think of anything interesting to write here.........
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Travel adaptor plugs £1

Identical item in Argos £6
  • carriew
    carriew Posts: 995 Forumite
    Options
    glue is really cheap there!

guess how much?
    :money: <<<< MY HERO!
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    almay moisturerizing lotion spf15 in our poundland.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I pop in to Poundland once or twice a week to check out the books. They seem to have random deliveries that are never the same so do check regularly if interested. I bought a Torey Hayden hardback last week rrp 12.99. Total bargain and a fabulous gift. My motto is no-one knows what you paid for it. :D
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Don't bother with the lightweight travel rucksack!! After the first use (and honestly there wasn't much weight in it!) it had all frayed away from the seams!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    where i live we have a 99p shop. what a place. it has the usual rubbish plastic toys of course, but a lot of the stuff is really good. again they never know whats going to be delivered so i pop in every couple of days. amazing books, jars and tinned food, cakes and biscuits, really nice photo frames, cook ware. just about the lot.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I want to go in a Poundland now. Never been in one/seen one. Just looked it up online and there's one about 15 miles away so I should go and look!

They've got a tub of 30 lollies for £1 - probably a good investment if you are unlucky enough to live in an area where you get trick or treaters.

http://www.poundland.co.uk/pages/offers/food__drink_2.aspx
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought two pairs of Foster Grant reading glasses (well over £10 each in Boots) in Poundland on Saturday.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport