PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning UPVC window frames: Flash Mark and Stain Eraser

Options
I have used a range of cleaning products (including £5 a throw UPVC cleaner from John Lewis) to try and get the dirt out of our white plastic UPVC window frames. I recently tried the Flash Mark and Stain Eraser and they are fab! Gets all the ingrained stains out, including rust marks. I was very impressed.

The Erasers are currently on sale in Asda at 98p for two as they are being discontinued in our branch (Chatham). Worth stocking up on as they also get wax crayon off most surfaces that my 2 yo has applied it to (which is the reason I had them in the house). They were also reduced in Wilkinson recently - possibly to the same price. I hope they're not being discontinued everywhere?

Comments

• lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I have to ask. Are Wilkinson's a regional store? Never heard of them. Any in the South?
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    u r too posh in the south to have wilko's! I have also seen the stain erasers in poundland.
    I hope vinegar comes into this somewhere!;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was a glasscutter for over 20 years. We've always used Cif (Jif) to clean UPVC, both at work and at home. Most of the fitters I know carry it in their vans.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    Whereabouts in the South are you, lipidicman? I live in Bournemouth (house 300 yards from the sea so difficult to get further south really) and there are two or three Wilkinson's within a 10-mile radius, if that's any help. Or you can go to their store locator on their website, https://www.wilko.co.uk/stores. The little dots indicating their stores do look a bit thinner on the ground in the South, admittedly, but they're jolly good for all sorts of cheapo things if you can find one!
  • telly-addict
    Options
    lipidicman wrote:
    Sorry, I have to ask. Are Wilkinson's a regional store? Never heard of them. Any in the South?

Definitely in the south east - Chatham, Rainham, Maidstone...
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've even got one in Ipswich! Coo! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • CLIVELESTER
    Options
    Jif is fine for cleaning UPVC for normal grime but if you are stuck with more serious marks & stains try a pot of Supreme Power Cleaner cheap & very effective. Have no connection with company, just bought a tub in loal store & am delighted with result. Also cleans garden furniture you would think is beyond redemption. http://www.instorevideo.co.uk/homecare1.html
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone suggest anything to get rid of the black marks I found on the window frames please? I tried Dettol spray and then wiping with warm water but didn't do anything at all.

Any thoughts?
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • janiepopps
    Options
    Any chance you know what caused the marks mo2?
    Jan '12 GC; £74.66/£100
    £2 saver club member #107
    :grin:
  • vgstar44
    vgstar44 Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i had a few marks on mines and nail varnish remover done the trick....try testing it on a small unnoticable bit tho incase it does more damage than good :-)
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

Debt free on 1st Sept 2011...what a journey!
    :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport