PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS way to brighter whites?

My favourite, all white 100% cotton duvet cover is starting to look decidedly grey & dingy. What can I use to get it back to it's original brilliant white?

I was sorely tempted to put some bleach in the dispenser drawer of the washing machine over the weekend, but wanted to check with you lovely people first. What do you do to keep whites white?

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Lucie

Have you been washing the duvet cover in Persil? Do you follow the washing temp instructions on the duvet label?

I use only Persil automatic powder for whites and don't use fabric softener. In my opinion, it really is the best product for keeping whites white.

I used to evaluate the performance of washing detergents and fabric softeners in a research & technology laboratory.........Persil was the best for whites.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Nile

Yes I do use Persil & no fabric softener. I haven't always used Persil in the past though. I wash bedding at 50 degrees. Couldn't tell you what it says on the label though, it's all faded!
    Is bleach a bit harsh to put in the washer or will the water dilute it sufficiently?
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I occasionally use a product by Dylon called Whites reviver or something like that. It works very well at reviving old grey whites. I shove all my vests and white shirts in to soak about once every six months. However it does contain phosphates etc so is probably very bad for the environment or something. A soak in bleach solution works ok but I think this weakens the fibres over time.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I use Napisan in my whites wash. Its far cheaper than Oxyclean and does a better job. I use about a flat desertspoon in with my powder and it always does the trick. A box of Napisan costs about £1.80 and because i only use it in my whites wash, lasts 2 or 3 weeks.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    I've been using soda crystals in the wash with the soap powder recently and they come out bright and shiney, just like in the old Daz adverts. They really are unbelievable.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Judi wrote:
    I use Napisan in my whites wash. Its far cheaper than Oxyclean and does a better job. I use about a flat desertspoon in with my powder and it always does the trick. A box of Napisan costs about £1.80 and because i only use it in my whites wash, lasts 2 or 3 weeks.

Where do I find Napisan? Is it in the baby products aisle in the supermarket or the washing powder aisle?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Lucie wrote:
    Where do I find Napisan? Is it in the baby products aisle in the supermarket or the washing powder aisle?
    Its in the washing powder aisle at my local Asda and Tesco.
  • tightgit_2
    tightgit_2 Posts: 571 Forumite
    Can someone tell me what's the best thing to wash white net curtains in? I tried some net whitening stuff, but it didn't seem very good.
  • sunflower_2
    sunflower_2 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Nile wrote:
    I use only Persil automatic powder for whites and don't use fabric softener. In my opinion, it really is the best product for keeping whites white.

why no fabric softener?

i dont think i could stand not to use softener on my under garments ?

:o
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Oxyclean works for me - but I'm going to try Nappysan now. Thanks for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure