Buying Shares

Options

Comments

• stphnstevey
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/investing/events/
    Tomorrow 16th is the next day 12:15pm til 2:15pm shares and, I think, ETFs buy/sell live but not funds.
    They did in the past send out a monthly email reminder but they do not do that anymore.

Thank you for this

Is this a restricted list or are all the shares available through normal trading available through regular investment and cheap dealing days?

Specifically, are you able to confirm CSP1 and CNX1 are available?
  • BrockStoker
    Options
    No harm in having a go, but just one stock/£500 is leaving a lot to chance, especially if buying small/micro-cap.

I've also gone for the risky portfolio of individual stocks option, but will not put any more than 2% of my total net worth into it - the rest is in cash/funds/property. Only just started at the end of last month, but already got £13.8k invested (out of 20k) in 14 stocks, mostly small-mid cap US biotech.

It seems I got in at the right time as the sector has been consistently strong since I started (more luck than anything), and the portfolio is already showing a profit.

I'm not sure if I've made a mistake by splitting my cash between so many stocks - perhaps it might make more sense with biotech to have more shots at getting one good share?

Share prices in biotech, can go up (or down) by huge amounts, especially at the small cap end of the spectrum, so I only need a couple of winners, or even one will do, if it's a big winner.

Anyway, with biotech being so volatile, I've been buying in small chunks (to £/cost average), sometimes as low as £250 a trade, but with most things on their way up solidly right now it may have been better in hindsight to plonk the whole lot down in one go. Still some holdings have ended up only at the £400-600, although most are in the 800-1200, and the max initial investment has been £1600 - that was my first buy (virgin galactic) which was a bit of a punt (and my only non-healthcare related stock), and I got a bit carried away with it!

The plan was originally to have some holdings at the ~£3000 mark, but it hasn't worked out that way, partly because of the rising marked, and partly because I have found more interesting stocks which I suspect are undervalued by the market currently.

I have been studying/observing the sector (and various stocks) for some years now, so well aware of the risks, and as well as the more risky stocks I also have invested in much less risky stocks (more healthcare oriented, which is a defensive sector) to balance out the portfolio a little. It's the only sector I understand reasonably well, so for me, investing outside of the sector is more of a punt.

If the OP does not know the company/sector it's a risky long shot - better to keep the money till there is enough saved up to make it more worth while, and in the mean time invest virtual money in portfolio + read up on the companies/sectors of interest as much as possible. That would be a better way to dip in a toe IMO.

At the end of the day I'm prepared to loose close to 100% of the value of my stock portfolio, but I'll do my best not to loose anything. All the risks I take are calculated - though sometimes poorly so!

Disclosure/disclaimer: I'm only an amateur who loves biotech/healthcare, especially right now it's suddenly starting to show signs of life (after being down trodden for a few years), but even so it's a risky prospect, and especially in the form of individual stocks, so please do not hold me responsible if you loose money by investing in biotech after reading this. IMHO it's not a bad sector to to buy/hold right now, but stick to funds (on a long term horizon) if you are not sure what you are doing!
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    X-O charge a flat fee of £5.95p.

£500 is a very small amount to invest in a share. You be better off buying a fund of some kind and not actively trading. Simply holding it for the long term.

To be fair to the OP, if they're willing to lose the whole £500 and acknowledges this the primary goal for this investment is to have 'fun' and not to achieve long-term returns then I think the OP is better off buying a single line of stock!
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    george4064 wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP, if they're willing to lose the whole £500 and acknowledges this the primary goal for this investment is to have 'fun' and not to achieve long-term returns then I think the OP is better off buying a single line of stock!

Might as well have a day out the races instead then. Holding a single stock is likely to result in a huge amount of frustration. With the fun novelty soon wearing off.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not going to be much fun, but why not a tracker where the company spreads your funds over multiple companies. This would alleviate the small amounts and risk of just one company
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    coyrls wrote: »
    There are better ways to have fun.
    ..like changing the oil on your car?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Not going to be much fun, but why not a tracker where the company spreads your funds over multiple companies. This would alleviate the small amounts and risk of just one company

The OP had already said that they are looking to buy a particular penny stock for the fun of seeing if they can pick a winner, and don't mind holding it for the long term, or losing money if it doesn't do well. They have other 'serious' pension/other investments and were only on here enquiring what cheap broker would be a good place to do the transaction. Sounds fair enough to me. People are free to pick their own hobbies.

They haven't been back to the thread for six weeks. Meanwhile people are still 'helpfully' chiming in to say that they don't personally recommend buying small amounts of a single company's shares, and suggesting that it might not turn out to be much fun after all, and asking why don't they just track the market up and down with an index fund :huh:

While my own posts do often go off on a tangent and try to give a broader education than is being sought, there's clearly quite a bit of difference between putting a few hundred pounds into a penny share that you tried to research, and investing a few hundred pounds in a broad based investment fund to track the market. It's not like he is seeking advice on whether the particular company is any good, or whether other investment options are available - he already told us he has other investments and was simply seeking a practical pointer to accomplishing a specific task.
  • username901
    Options
    For small amounts like that you'll find far less risk and far more reward in matched betting. It's not the money maker it was 10+ years ago where £1000+ profit a month was easily achievable but you should be able to double that £500 in a couple of months with an hour or so each weekend.
  • sebo0607
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, as pointed out by bowlhead99, I was just looking for specific practical advice on costs. I have now purchased the shares.

Thanks again to all that have contributed.
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    The OP had already said that they are looking to buy a particular penny stock for the fun of seeing if they can pick a winner, and don't mind holding it for the long term, or losing money if it doesn't do well. They have other 'serious' pension/other investments and were only on here enquiring what cheap broker would be a good place to do the transaction. Sounds fair enough to me. People are free to pick their own hobbies.

They haven't been back to the thread for six weeks. Meanwhile people are still 'helpfully' chiming in to say that they don't personally recommend buying small amounts of a single company's shares, and suggesting that it might not turn out to be much fun after all, and asking why don't they just track the market up and down with an index fund :huh:

While my own posts do often go off on a tangent and try to give a broader education than is being sought, there's clearly quite a bit of difference between putting a few hundred pounds into a penny share that you tried to research, and investing a few hundred pounds in a broad based investment fund to track the market. It's not like he is seeking advice on whether the particular company is any good, or whether other investment options are available - he already told us he has other investments and was simply seeking a practical pointer to accomplishing a specific task.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    klew356 wrote: »
    so whats the best thing to do with 500 quid – if you are wanting to make a bit of money off it?

https://investornews.vanguard/our-new-vanguard-global-credit-bond-fund-puts-our-experts-to-work-for-you/

Long term bet and be ready for volatility? The actual best thing to do would be to put the 500 into a well researched diversified portfolio followed by another 500 the next month, and the month after etc. etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure