Options
12346»

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 21 November 2019 at 1:17AM
    Options
    https://investornews.vanguard/our-new-vanguard-global-credit-bond-fund-puts-our-experts-to-work-for-you/

Long term bet and be ready for volatility? The actual best thing to do would be to put the 500 into a well researched diversified portfolio followed by another 500 the next month, and the month after etc. etc.

I guess you didn't really get my point about helping out fellow forum users by giving them practical advice along the lines of what they had come here asking about.

Instead, wait until they have already got their answer and gone ahead with their plan, then first link them to a US-based investment product that doesn't answer their question at all, and then offer up the unwanted suggestion that as an alternative they should invest it into a portfolio and then every month magically make the same amount of money available and invest that into a portfolio too.

Dude !!!!!!.
  • cisamcgu
    cisamcgu Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 November 2019 at 10:37AM
    Options
    I completely understand the OPs desire. I have less than 1% of my portfolio in individual stocks that I picked because -
    I liked the name Oxford Biomedica - sounds really sexy :)
    I know the product - Micro Focus International - COBOL never goes out of fashion
    I have seen the machines they make - Oxford Instruments - high tech thingies
    I have seen the lorries - Biffa - nice red colour
    A real stab in the dark - UK Oil & Gas - there's oil in them there hills

They are purely for fun, total amount is around £1000 - and they give me significantly more interest than Vanguard LS 40 and 60 that I also hold.

Currently up about £300, but that is luck not skill
  • on_the_blink
    Options
    cisamcgu wrote: »
    COBOL never goes out of fashion
    ... because it's never been in fashion :)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They are purely for fun, total amount is around £1000 - and they give me significantly more interest than Vanguard LS 40 and 60 that I also hold.
    'Interest' is an unhelpfully ambiguous term here, so you presumably mean that you find shares more interesting (stimulating) than funds, given that neither actually pays interest in the financial sense of the word....
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Currently up about £300, but that is luck not skill

I hold shares in Interserve, or at least I did :mad:

My other shares are +7.4% -20.5% -13% +7.4% -64.8% -3.7% -5.8% -6.4%

All very interesting. I did cash-in a share last week when it was 50% in profit.
  • cisamcgu
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    'Interest' is an unhelpfully ambiguous term here, so you presumably mean that you find shares more interesting (stimulating) than funds, given that neither actually pays interest in the financial sense of the word....

Indeed, more interesting, rather than more interest :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport