Buying phone from China

Options
2»

Comments

• Lynmar
    Lynmar Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2018 at 9:30AM
    Options
    Some time ago I had ZTE Axon 7 https://productz.com/en/zte-axon-7 and it was quite ok. I think ZTE is like almost premium Chinese brand.

Now I'm using Oneplus because I like the idea behind the phone. It's like in the premium middle. You have to pay a lot more to have only a bit better phones.
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The news from xda-developers.

xda-developers focuses upon the Opensource Andoid OS developers community, however, you are able to get independent, alternative news on Android products as well, they also cover far less Euro-centric global developments on Android devices. (I personally think you really need to follow what is going on India to understand smartphone market.

You don't have to spend a silly money to get a decent smartphone now (outside the West). Xiaomi is the excellent example. Some smart MSE members already enjoy Xiaomi smartphones.

I personally would be interested in Android One Devices, Xiaomi A2 and A2 lite. (You should be able to get 5-6 years software support at very lest via Free and Opensource Android OS community - custom Rom)

Don't check price and hardware only! You need a long term software support to enjoy your mobilephone (yes, it is a money saving tip as well :))

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-london-store-november/

Job listing hints at Xiaomi opening its first UK store in London in November

It didn’t take long for Xiaomi to bootstrap into the competitive market and be mentioned alongside the big guys. The Chinese company managed to earn a solid reputation among Android users all around the world. While they have achieved great success in countries such as India, the company is trying to expand into Europe. A job listing on Indeed suggests that Xiaomi may be launching a physical store in London in just 2 months. We knew Xiaomi has big plans for Europe as the company expanded into Spain already, has plans for France and Italy, and has partnered with Three in the United Kingdom.
    The listings are from a company called “My Tech Retail,” which is Xiaomi’s official partner for the network of Mi Stores in Spain. The job listings are for a Store Manager and Sales Assistant position in Westfield London, Shepherds Bush. The Sales Assistant listing includes the month when the store may be launched—November. We don’t know the exact date yet, but we’re not too far off from November so we should learn more information soon. Keep in mind that this store will be the first physical location for buying Xiaomi products in the United Kingdom.
  • ABARKIE
    ABARKIE Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Big fan of Xiaomi phones. Bought a Redmi Note 4 last year from AliExpress. I'm going to wait for the Poco F1 to drop in price and get that as my next phone.

Same here for me

Got the 64GB Note 4 last june for £137 via Aliexpress, still going very strong

Looking at the Poco F1 likewise
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-3gb-32gb-dual-sim-black.html
    Use code chkout5 to get it for £117.99. Great phone for the money.
  • Lynmar
    Options
    or just wait like 2-3 weeks for new pixel and then everything else (older) should get cheaper :-)

older android versions, older premium phones, etc
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Options
    Lynmar wrote: »
    or just wait like 2-3 weeks for new pixel and then everything else (older) should get cheaper :-)

older android versions, older premium phones, etc
    I don't think anyone looking to buy a cheap phone from China will be too excited by the Pixel 3 at £700, it won't make any difference to the price for a £100 or £200 phone.
  • Lynmar
    Options
    But it might drop something $10? $20?
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Options
    Lynmar wrote: »
    But it might drop something $10? $20?

The retailers sites (Gearbest, Ali ect) are always moving prices around, it has nothing to do with the price of anything else and certainly not the Pixel at it's price point.
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 November 2018 at 6:26PM
    Options
    As mentioned if going for a xiaomi make sure it has BAND 20 OR B20 if described as the global version it will have it but check the specs anyway. Risks are no warranty,possible customs charges which can make it leSs of a bargain. Xiaomi will be opening a store in London on the 8th so you could wait until then to seen there UK prices as these will come with a warranty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure