PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2012 at 9:45PM
    Options
    Glad I could help! I love giving food hampers as gifts, they're always really appreciated. I'll give say two different jams, two different chutneys, something else like chilli oil or marmalade, some HM tablet and some bought oatcakes to finish it off as a nice hamper. You'll really save on costs if using foraged fruit - I need to start doing that!! I tried to grow strawbs this year but bought the root things from Wilko and they didn't grow :mad:

photo2.jpg

Think I have worked out how to post images, so this is my lovely salmon dinner from last night (tonight's mac & cheese just didn't look exciting enough to post!). SO good, I am definitely making it again :D

I am salivating!! Honestly.

Salmon is my favourite fish which I only ever have if its YS or I get the trimmings. That looks so flavoursome! Yummy scrummy!!

Loving the food pics today :)

Ickle87, hope you get better soon :(

Penny grabber, enjoy your jam!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • TheThriftyScrumpers
    Options
    Glad I could help! I love giving food hampers as gifts, they're always really appreciated. I'll give say two different jams, two different chutneys, something else like chilli oil or marmalade, some HM tablet and some bought oatcakes to finish it off as a nice hamper. You'll really save on costs if using foraged fruit - I need to start doing that!! I tried to grow strawbs this year but bought the root things from Wilko and they didn't grow :mad:

photo2.jpg

Think I have worked out how to post images, so this is my lovely salmon dinner from last night (tonight's mac & cheese just didn't look exciting enough to post!). SO good, I am definitely making it again :D

That meal looks sooooooo good :)
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    JJ, I forgot to say earlier, I have bought the same book as you for foraging. I can't wait to get out on my bike, and collect stuff in my basket! Feels very 'the good life'!!

Lunches prepped for tomorrow, just need to do the bins in the morning - I always do them on the day, as otherwise the foxes pull the bags apart.

Hmm... who is today's frugalfairy?!!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • PennyGrabber
    Options

Where do you get your hampers from? I'm wanting to do this this year, and have started making a few chutneys that keep long-term, but don't really know about the actual hampers themselves!! TIA
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
  • In_it_not_to_giveitaway
    Options
    Managed an NSD, but a trip to MrM last Thursday has given the GC budget a fair old jab in the mid-section. Need to recover by using cupboard fridge and freezer until Friday.

Since some habits have been instilled for such a long time, such as top up at the corner shop, they are proving very difficult to break.

This is why I am thinking about what I would normally buy as a top up and see if I can either make it (eg bread machine) or buy it and freeze it (milk) or work out some other way to avoid going to the corner shop altogether. The hardest is fresh fruit and vegetables and, unless I grow my own, I can't see any way round it. I guess I am going to have to start growing some veg in pots.

I have read good reports on here about growing lettuce in pots - even that they grow better.

I suppose it is going to get much harder before it gets easier - developing a different habit and mind set, that is.

All the best everyone,

179/200
    Can I join please?

Can you put me down for £200 for the month.

2 Adults and 2 kids :)
  • nicky_s_2
    nicky_s_2 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to Dipndo for help with font colours! :T

Anyway, today has been my first spend day of the month- £19.97 for storecupcoard items and £20 for kids school dinners. Lots of baking/batch cooking in the days to come.:)

Nicky
    Target July Grocery Challenge: £350
    Target so far:£83.56
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where do you get your hampers from? I'm wanting to do this this year, and have started making a few chutneys that keep long-term, but don't really know about the actual hampers themselves!! TIA

The hampers themselves are a problem! I just don't use those lovely lidded hampers as they're way too expensive, so I just wrap whatever I do use up with cellophane I got off eBay and nice ribbon instead.

Last year I managed to get some round wicker baskets on offer at Oil & Vinegar. Think they were half price but still around £2 each and they weren't amazing looking but honestly the cheapest I could find! This year I plan on keeping an eye on eBay and keep my fingers crossed for a bargain :)

Oh and I shredded up free newspapers from the bus in the work shredder and used that to pad out the bottom instead of tissue paper, they actually looked nice and 'rustic' that way.

jumblejack I love salmon too and don't have it often but I will admit it wasn't a frugal meal as it wasn't RTC or anything - got it in the Mr M 3 for £10 meat and fish offer so about £1.66 a portion just for the salmon :eek: It was amazing though, a recipe I got off BBC Good Food (don't know if I can post links but I tweaked it a bit anyway).

It was wasted on OH as he doesn't like fish, he ate it all because he was hungry but he wasn't impressed at all. I've resolved to give up on making him eat fish and let him have something else when I have it as it effectively 'stretches' my salmon to last twice as long :rotfl:
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2012 at 11:01PM
    Options
    JJ, I forgot to say earlier, I have bought the same book as you for foraging. I can't wait to get out on my bike, and collect stuff in my basket! Feels very 'the good life'!!

Lunches prepped for tomorrow, just need to do the bins in the morning - I always do them on the day, as otherwise the foxes pull the bags apart.

Hmm... who is today's frugalfairy?!!

Yay:j

You can be my 'virtual' foraging buddy:T

I got excited a wee while ago. I was watching Hugh on YouTube. He was cooking up sea beets and alexanders. I have forgotten to look for the alexanders although they are the first thing in the book mentioned that can be found on the coast.

Guess what I'm looking for tomorrow!!!

Tomorrow will probably be an omelette made with yet more sea beets ;) ...unless I find some alexanders. Apparently they eat like asparagus :)

I like to explore new ingredients thoroughly!

Bluegreen, it doesn't matter if it wasn't MSE! A treat is worth it.
    (It's cheaper than going to a restaurant and you get a true sense of accomplishment.)

My favourite salmon is a pine nut crust. I last made it a couple of years ago for dinner guests. It was basically coriander and pine nuts made into a paste in a mortar and pestle which coats the salmon which is grilled. Yum :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • PennyGrabber
    Options
    I'd love to be your foraging buddy, but I'm a complete novice, except for blackberries! Hence the book, to give me some ideas! I'd love to get some sloes for gin, don't even know what they look like!! A friend told me about wild garlic, again, no idea!! Help! The book will give me an insight, I'm hoping, and a reason for going off for a bikeride thereby getting fitter too. I feel a plan is coming together...!

Must try really hard for a nsd today, as I'm so far behind in my year compared to budget. Got less than £600 for six months, having spent around £1080 for the first six months!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport