PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2012 at 5:14PM
    My elderflower and rose petal cordial results are in......

Melt a kilo of sugar in around 1.7 pints of water. Add juice of 2 lemons (and zest if preferred)
    Allow to cool.

Plunge in your fruit/flowers etc and leave for 24 hours covered.

Sieve through a folded clean tea towel and bottle.

Refrigerate. Will last for several weeks.

Dilute with wine or sparkling water for guests (or just filtered tap water for yourself ;))

photo-132.jpg?t=1340828647

photo-133.jpg

Edit:

Sorry about the weird sizing of the pics. I don't know what photobucket is playing at!

If they are too big, I will happily remove them :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have never seen reduced items in Aldi.

I have in my local, and also in L1dl, they just put a sticker on them with 30% off or 50% off. Its not really a time thing with them its more about when the staff get a chance to do the reductions. If they are busy on the checkouts then they dont get chance to do the reductions.

In L1dl I have often picked up free range chicken at 30% off and its 3 days before its sell by date.
  • June wasn't the best month for me so I'm increasing my budget back to £250. I'm starting to buy nappies that are on offer to prepare for the new arrival and I may have to buy a few beers for DH weekly to keep him away from sms. Hopefully I'll come under budget and will be able to decrease for a little bit next month :)
    :jBaby girl born 3rd October 2012:j
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    KatyReed+5 wrote: »
    but also includes a £24.00 spend on 2 bottle of nit stuff for the kids, i do wish some parents would check their kids hair and stop giving them to mine, grrrrr.

Katy, X

I dont know if you can still buy it but I used tea tree oil conditioner on my childrens hair. (original source or holland and Barrett) Put the conditioner on and leave for a while, then use the nit comb to get the eggs and dead beasties out of the hair. Like you I got fed up of buying the nit lotions and i looked for a natural alternative and it seemed to work.
    The teachers at the school used it as well.
  • Oh my, can't believe we're into July's thread already - where is this year disappearing to!:eek:

Thanks to Zippy, Helen & Rosieben as always & good luck everyone!

July is a stocking up month for me, so a slightly larger budget of £160 - toiletries still looking OK but running low on loo rolls, kitchen rolls etc.

I've a bit left out of June's budget :j (so far!) so think I'm going to treat myself to some lovely, but rather expensive, cream - eczema is playing up a bit so hopefully that'll help!

I'm trying a new type of milk (not Lactofree but extra filtered) so fingers crossed that works OK as it should cut the bill from around £45 / month :eek: (a lot when it's just me!) to around £20:j
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Midgetgem82
    Midgetgem82 Posts: 71 Forumite
    I'm in again this month.Sticking with the same budget £360 even though i went over by quite a bit last month. I have fully stocked up so am hoping i can easily come in on budget :cool:
    DEBT FREE WANNABE
    [STRIKE]H+M £72.89[/STRIKE] NEXT £319.56 22.9%APR BARCLAY CARD £352.90 26.43%APR ARGOS CARD£38.26/ £698.02 29.9%APR VERY £221.19/ £1825.21 47.9%APR :eek:
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Put me down for 600 please helenjelly though uni uses rbs so fingers crossed salaries go in :eek:
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • dizzyditzy
    dizzyditzy Posts: 711 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2012 at 8:51PM
    Hi
    Can I be put down for £140 for July please. This is 3 weeks at £30 and 1st week of school holidays at £40 and £10 for cleaning and toiletries. My July runs from 28th June until 26th July. I am trying not to buy any meat as having checked my freezers this is what they are full of. I need to save money for 2 full sets of new secondary uniform :eek:. I am enjoying reading and learning from the tips posted. I aim to try out more recipes this month as well.
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Mmm .... I suspected as much because Aldi wasn't on the reduction time slot matrix in another thread I looked at which asked supermarket staff or ex staff about reduction policy.

In that case I may go 5 mins walk down the road to MrM and get the reductions, then I don't have to spend as much as £35 or incur £2.90 on the train (does mean I have spent 45p on the Mirror though when I wouldn't otherwise have done - going to ask round work to see if anyone shops at Aldi - no point in wasting it!).

Best wishes to all,

I go to Aldi quite often on a Saturday morning and sometimes there are 30% stickers on meat, fruit and veg- there doesnt tend to be a section they just leave them in with the regular stuff and stickers them- stickers are RED

I find Aldi very cheap for fruit, veg and general household bits. Their washing up liquid has a Which Best Buy award and is fantastic- far better than fa&ry!! Make sure you get the small sized bottle with the Which award on the front

Very small £2.00 spend today on chocs :(
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,901 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Had a spend of £9.05. Won't spend for next 4 days as off to stay with YDD. May spend out of some other money but not GC. Mr F is staying home to work and look after the dog. I have curtains to alter for DD.
    We had HM wedges, pizza, asparagus, cauliflower & baby sweetcorn for dinner.

7462812350_5ba1c086ca.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 219/120
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £39.49/£100 NSD - 71
    2024 Craft Makes - 191 Craft Spends 2024 £243.05/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts