PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Purpleivy - thanks for the tips and weights regarding the cooking pulses etc. I'm going to start freezing a few types up as I love them added to mince dishes and in salads. Its the remembering to soak them overnight that stops me using them more. Can feel the pennies being saved! :j
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, Weezl I didn't see your houmous recipe on the GC, would you mind posting it here please? OH eats it by the bucketload! Thanks very much.
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    bails wrote: »
    Hi all, Weezl I didn't see your houmous recipe on the GC, would you mind posting it here please? OH eats it by the bucketload! Thanks very much.

Hi Bails, It's on post number 46 of this thread, so you've just got to scroll backwards! ;)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • weezl74
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Back with some more thoughts… [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Another thing that sometimes concerns people when I tell them about my challenge, is, if you have meat or meat products, will they be cheap and nasty? On closer inspection, this turns out to be a concern that cheaper meat products might contain more ‘nasties’ like saturated fat, fat in general, calories, and salt.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    So I turned again to my friend google… (mysupermarket.co.uk to be precise)

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    My sausages of choice are asda smart price ones. They are 85p for 20 sausages, which is 4.25p per sausage, or 13.5p for a 3 sausage serving, which is a meal for us.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    I decided to compare them with asda’s ‘extra special’ sausages, and also their own brand ones. The extra special ones are 25p each:eek:, so 5 times the cost (although I think they are bigger) per sausage. The own brand ones are 6.4p each.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    Saturated fat-wise, I was pleased and surprised to note that my cheap and nasty sausages were 4.3% saturated fat, the extra special range weighed in at a hefty 6.6% saturated fat, and the own brand ones had 4.5% saturated fat. The cheapest contained the least saturates!:confused:

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    Hmmmmn. Calories then, how do they square up? 1 smart price sausage is 83 calories, the own brand is 93 calories, the extra special ones are bigger, but if you ate the amount of one sausage to make it the same size, you’d have 123 calories, or 172 if you ate a whole one.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    Again, cheap is not so nasty!:cool:

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    Salt then, surely I am poisoning Mr. Weezl with too much salt? Another surprise, all the sausages contained exactly the same percentage of salt, 1.6%. 3 sausages does contain 2.4g of salt, which is just over a third of our recommended daily amount, but pretty ok when you consider our diet as a whole.
    :j

[/FONT]
    So I feel ok then in raving about another couple of really cheap meals, sausage, mash and onion gravy, with peas, (mushy or otherwise), and toad in the hole.

[FONT=&quot]
    These are definitely doable within this meagre budget!
    :T

[/FONT] Cheerfulness, you asked if I make up and then freeze the pate sarnies, I certainly do, and am living to tell the tale! As long as it hasn't been frozen before in it's cooked state, it's fine apparently.(got that info from squeaky the board guide) although I'd not foist it on any pregnant friends (think they have to avoid liver...?)!;)

Yes, Bails, it is £1.29 a day (depending on the length of the month (oh the luxury of February!) and includes cleaning stuff, loo roll, painkillers, women's monthly paraphanalia....:D

t'was pasta pesto tonight for tea, and will be HM tropical fruit ice cream during the apprentice. (a little tradition in weezl-land, which used to be scarily expensive before I met MSE old style and thought nothing of a weekly £3.50 on Ben and Jerry's!):eek:

Bye for now,
    Your rambling OS miserly Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I reduced my 'grocery purse' pro rata for fewer days in February! Started in Jan with £200, so decided to divide by 31 and multiply by the number of days in each month. Seems like a fairer way of doing it somehow. I overspent in March and am trying hard not to overspend this month. Less than half left, only 9th today, I don't need to buy anything before Sunday, will also try and do minimum spends for next week as well.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • weezl74
    Options
    75g flour - 2p
    75 ml milk - 5p
    1 large egg - 10p
    salt and pepper - 2p
    6 smart price sausages- 27p
    gravy - 6p
    peas - 11p
    mash - 7p

whole meal for the two of us tonight, 70p :T

I used delia's toad in the hole recipe.

Just thought an example of one of our cheap dinners would be helpful. When we have vegetarian nights dinner costs around half that.

Weezl x

• bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »

Yes, Bails, it is £1.29 a day (depending on the length of the month (oh the luxury of February!) and includes cleaning stuff, loo roll, painkillers, women's monthly paraphanalia....:D

Now I really am completely in awe!!! As veggies we must be able to eat much more cheaply than we do...How long did it take you to hone your skills Weezl? :D
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • scrimperjan
    Options
    Weezl, can you explain what this bit means, I don't get it:
    April to june grocery challenge: £40 per mnth for 2 adults: £38.36 left of £120
    It sounds like you've already spent more than two thirds of your three months budget, but that can't be right 'cos it's been the same amount since the beginning of this thread...or is it that you stocked up and now you're living from your storecupboard?
  • weezl74
    Options
    It sounds like you've already spent more than two thirds of your three months budget, but that can't be right 'cos it's been the same amount since the beginning of this thread...or is it that you stocked up and now you're living from your storecupboard?

Hi scrimperjan,:hello:

I have spent all the money between march 15th and now, and I have been filling and then using my freezer and store cupboard since then. I don't let myself 'overspend' in any month and then write it off at the end of the month, (although I know some of my fellow old-style grocery challenge friends do this and it works for them as a plan), I just carry the debt over to the next month.:eek:

So, yes, to clarify, yes, I really am saying that I'm going to try to live off the amount left in my signature until the end of June. It's an extreme challenge isn't it?! Looking at what I've stockpiled from what I've bought since then tho, I still reckon it's do-able.:T

Just a thought, scrimperjan, do you know that when we look at each other's old posts, we see our signature as it is now? So you'll see something I wrote when I'd not spent much, but if you read it 3 weeks later, you'll see all that I've spent til now (if I've remembered to update my sig!) That might be really obvious to you and if so sorry, but it might help explain your confusion! :D

Back in a bit with some thoughts on calcium and the super-thrifty diet...;)

Weezl x

• addictedtosoreen
    Options
    morning all!
    i love this thread, thanks weezl74:beer:
    someone above wanted a nice smoothie recipe, well heres mine
    pint of milk
    2-3 bananas depending on size
    honey to taste
    teaspoon vanila essence/extract

bung in your blender and wizz til smooth, soooo easy and a really sneaky way to get lots of fruit into the kids:D

have also made them with the frozen fruits you can get at tesco, yummy
    Dear Lord,so far today i am doing alright. i have not lost my temper, been selfish or rude.i have not cursed,whined or eaten any chocolate. HOWEVER, i will be getting out of bed in a minute and i will need a lot more help after that...amen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure