Preparedness for when

edited 8 November 2012 at 8:54AM in Old Style MoneySaving
41.4K replies 4M views

Replies

• Apologies if this has already been posted.

Helmans Mayo 600g in my local 99P shop. Grabbed two for the pantry. Dated Mar 16, not that they'll last that long. I would have got more but they weigh too much when bussing it.

On a different note, I've just put Chrome on my PC, (instructions from my 'fixer' as MS is clogging it up too much) and now MSE is on THAT OTHER screen, I can't bear it !! can someone please oblige with the distructions to get back to the older and better format.

Many Thanks
  • daz278daz278 Forumite
    103 Posts
    I think TPTB dont differentiate that much between immigrants/ benefit claimants , lower working class, the great unwashed being a necessary evil at the moment but less as technology increases, society is veering from ....Neo Liberalism markets decide with a bit of government help ... to Neo Con let them fall in the street (useless factors of production) . This is evident in the way the media as reacted to a left wing labour leader as being naive cos he wants to build more houses to make renting cheaper and increase welfare ......i dont agree withhim on many issues, trident /nato .... the irony is he will be rejected by blocks of working class , when his policies will help them the most.......off to tech section now as my mates computer is so full off malware , that the browser wont let him download adware cleaner or surf the web at all......you all take care
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    13K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) Quick word for anyone who has/ or may have British banknotes or coins which are OM (outmoded).

All of these, even the pre-decimal stuff, can be paid in at the bank, they are not useless. But, if you have old banknotes in perfect condition, they are worth considerably more than face value as collectables eg old white fivers = £40 or so. I've even seen tenners in mint condition from several changes ago change hands for double face value. English currency is always redeemable - no exceptions. Some pre-euro currencies are redeemable at the banks of that nation, possibly only the central bank, but not all. And some were redeemable for a while after the euro introduction but aren't any more, and some are only redeemable for a few more months/ years, therefore having an expiry date. Pal of mine had the up-to-date book of what's what, so if you have currency and want to know if it's any good, ask via PM, I'll get pal to look it up later in the week and let you know.

Amusingly, only English bank notes are legal tender in the UK. Scottish and Ulster banknotes, all checques, debit card and credit card transactions and direct debits/ standing orders aren't legal tender. They are financial instruments which can be used in payment if it's acceptable to both parties, but they aren't classified as legal tender. This applies to Scottish and Ulster bank notes, even in those regions.

:D Grins and ducks, waiting for the howls of indignation from the other parts of the UK. Cos yer using funny money, ner ner ner ner ner. Very pretty, but not proper legal tender.

So, although you can do it, it would be as well to avoid taking in a few grand of outmoded notes, in case Questions Were to Be Asked about where there'd been and what you'd been doing with them since they were withdrawn from circulation.

The guy who installed my parents first CH system joked about an all-cash job he'd done for some pensioners when he put a CH system in for them. Funnily enough, all the notes were very flat and ever so slightly foisty, with a hessian-type imprint.............. a suspicious person might think they'd been hidden under their carpet.:cool:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    So, although you can do it, it would be as well to avoid taking in a few grand of outmoded notes, in case Questions Were to Be Asked about where there'd been and what you'd been doing with them since they were withdrawn from circulation.
    I was on holiday for 25 years. They only let me out last week, the place was like Hotel California tough to get out and the food rather samey. Yes the notes are a family legacy, anyway can you give me it in £500 bundles, as I owe a couple of friends some money and need to settle accounts.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    13K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frugalsod wrote: »
    I was on holiday for 25 years. They only let me out last week, the place was like Hotel California tough to get out and the food rather samey. Yes the notes are a family legacy, anyway can you give me it in £500 bundles, as I owe a couple of friends some money and need to settle accounts.
    :T I like it!

Oh, and pre-1947 (i.e. 1920-1946) silver coins are 50% sterling silver and currently worth 10 x face as scrap silver. Pre-1920 silver coins are 92.5% pure silver, a standard originally defined in 1158 as 'sterling silver'. They're not commonly turned up these days, but worth looking out for if you inherit any scrappy old coins.

Interesting that a hundred years ago, this nation's coins were precious metals, and a £ was a sovreign, 8g of 22 ct gold. What we used to call spending money is now only used for jewellery. How far we have fallen.:(

:cool: On a happier note, it's worth spending a couple of mins online making sure you know what a gold sovreign (and half-sovreign) looks like, because it doesn't say what it is on the coin, and there are plenty of people out there who don't know what they are. In Provincial City they have turned up in busker's guitar cases, charity coin collections and yard sale boxes of misc. Wish I was the lucky person who spent £7 on a box of carp at a garage sale which contained a full and a half sovriegn, then worth £300 + together. He bought them knowingly but the seller didn't realise what they had.

If you're tempted to buy what may be a gold sovreign which is lurking among rubbish, and it doesn't feel very heavy for its size (gold coins have this quality esp if you're not used to handling them) be aware you may be looking at golden brass gaming tokens. There were some made as a play on Victoria being the heir to Hanover in Germany. Only she couldn't inherit that crown because of being female, so the Duke of Cumberland * went for it. http://thanetcoastlife.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/victorian-gaming-tokens.html

It was done as a joke and you shouldn't ever pay more than 50p for one. I think I might get some and keep them in my fake jewellery box, in case I'm burgled. Wouldn't want the villians to trash the joint looking for the good stuff like the corned beef...........!

* He wasn't a popular man and the tokens were a p-take when they were made.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • 1Tonsil1Tonsil Forumite
    262 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Breaking news... Greek customs personnel and police have captured 14 containers full of weapons and ammunition, disguised as plastic furniture items destined to refugee camps in Europe.

Is this a case of the comeback of the Trojan horse ???
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    37.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a full debate - with all facts known - if any information is withheld.
    1T you're our reporter on the ground, I'd trust your reports of the situation to be accurate over the media ones any day! Keep letting us know what's going on if you can, it's likely that your news will be more up to date too. It's a fact that it's not a problem in isolation for anyone of the European countries, we'll all be affected and we'll all have to be part of the solution when one is found. Thanks for all you have been posting and looking forward to many more of your posts in the future.
    greenbee wrote: »
    I think when discussing this and the potential impact on us (which as individuals is likely to be negligible) we need to remember that for these people the worst has already happened. What would we do in the same situation? Perhaps we can learn from it.

Good points from all of you, thank you for posting this. 1Tonsil, I appreciate your posting here - I don't take anything as verbatim from any side or any area, but a voice such as yours, from a country that's in the thick of it, is very valuable to us.

No matter the causes of the current situation, greenbee's right, we can think about what we'd do in a similar situation. Of course, this goes back a long way - I met a Syrian refugee two years ago now, who opened up a computer shop on the south coast ... people have been getting out of Syria for a good few years now. Another parallel with the 1930s.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021..........
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
    37.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GQ - I like your currency posts :):):)
    Retired August 2016
    Not counting this! 2020
    37.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1Tonsil wrote: »
    Breaking news... Greek customs personnel and police have captured 14 containers full of weapons and ammunition, disguised as plastic furniture items destined to refugee camps in Europe.

1Tonsil, I don't know if its the same shipment, but The Independent reported something similar a week ago: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/greek-coastguards-seize-huge-shipment-of-arms-and-ammo-bound-for-libya-10488719.html
    Retired August 2016
    Not counting this! 2020
  • edited 14 September 2015 at 7:10PM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 September 2015 at 7:10PM
    1Tonsil wrote: »

Wunderbar! - NOT......:(

Have you got a link to that?

EDIT; ...and now wondering just who made the flippin' weapons in the first place (wouldn't be surprised if British arms manufacturers are included in that....). Way back - there were people doing Peace Studies near me and I seem to recall one of the very first points was "Search for the weapon manufacturers and sellers - they are at root of this". Sort of cherchez la femme - but in a very different context...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides