Preparedness for when

edited 8 November 2012 at 8:54AM in Old Style MoneySaving
41.4K replies 4M views

Replies

• Good to see some people still remember that refugees are only people in trouble:

COir3C5UAAA00Nr.jpg

source: taken from a Danish newspaper on the 9th September, whilst the police were dealing with refugees wanting to go to Sweden.
  • 1Tonsil wrote: »
    I am having serious doubts about going to London and Glasgow this year for Christmas and New year. I would be safer staying at home on this island, which may well get cut off this winter.
    Actually the risks of any terrorist incident are pretty minimal. The real risks are of over reaching enforcement just in case. The risk to you individually are so small it is not worth worrying about, unless you are going to be in a big crowd somewhere. I do not feel in any way worried about the supposed 4000 terrorists coming to Europe. If you allow a population of 300 million to cower in fear from 4000 then the terrorists have won without a single attack.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • edited 15 September 2015 at 3:01PM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 September 2015 at 3:01PM
    Frugalsod wrote: »
    Actually the risks of any terrorist incident are pretty minimal. The real risks are of over reaching enforcement just in case. The risk to you individually are so small it is not worth worrying about, unless you are going to be in a big crowd somewhere. I do not feel in any way worried about the supposed 4000 terrorists coming to Europe. If you allow a population of 300 million to cower in fear from 4000 then the terrorists have won without a single attack.

Difficult...difficult...difficult....

There is an element of seeing things from "where you are" living personally. Where I was = I was at risk and there was no doubt about that:mad::(:mad:. Where I am now = I would be very surprised if I came on the "receiving end" of all of this personally...and ...yep...its part of why I am here now...

We do all tend to see things from where we are personally (including geographically). Though I do agree - in theory - that 4,000 *******s shouldn't be allowed to dictate how 300 million of us live our lives.

No-one ever said dealing with this situation would be easy....:cool::( and I know many of us (including me) will "stand up straight" and tell the *******s and Everyday Try-on Merchants words to effect of "There's the nearest pier - now jump off it...." or words to that effect.
  • fuddlefuddle Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember growing up in the 80's not able to go Christmas shopping because my mam feared terrorism steming from NI. Even then I remember thinking that she shouldn't be scared about what might happen. It might, it might not but whatever the reality was/is, surely the worrying about it is pretty bad and almost as destructive to a person's well being as having to deal with come what may.
  • Right now - and I think it would be useful to see any links anyone has as to how to handle attempted intimidation and still carry on living a normal life. That applies whatever level the attempted intimidation is being carried on at.

One of the most useful phrases my father said to me at one point years back was to admit that there were situations in which he got frightened...but words to effect of "You cant be frightened-off though. Its human to be frightened..but if you are right you are right...and you keep going. We all get frightened at times (ie normal people in normal situations or the particular situations he was referring to).
  • armyknife wrote: »
    Good to see some people still remember that refugees are only people in trouble:
    Which is why I am not critical of them. As I mentioned before it is like millions of them have finally decided to bug out as they could not stay where they lived. I would do the exact same thing, but being a prepper might be better prepared for such an eventuality.

As for the odd terrorist being among them that has always been the case. 4000 out of 20 million on the move is not that many. What I am appalled at is the xenophobia everywhere, in Eastern Europe, Denmark etc. Greece has the bulk right now but if you were going to make a new start as a refugee Greece or Spain would not be the prime candidates for a new life with the really high unemployment there.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • cbrown372cbrown372 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly feel proud to live in Scotland having seen the considerable offers of help, monetary donations along with food and clothing over the past couple of weeks for the refugees. Websites have sprung up across the country, several helped by Syrians already here and all religions pulling together with any differences put aside in an effort to help the refugees no matter where they are trapped at the moment, as indeed trapped they are.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • Frugalsod wrote: »
    Which is why I am not critical of them. As I mentioned before it is like millions of them have finally decided to bug out as they could not stay where they lived. I would do the exact same thing, but being a prepper might be better prepared for such an eventuality.

As for the odd terrorist being among them that has always been the case. 4000 out of 20 million on the move is not that many. What I am appalled at is the xenophobia everywhere, in Eastern Europe, Denmark etc. Greece has the bulk right now but if you were going to make a new start as a refugee Greece or Spain would not be the prime candidates for a new life with the really high unemployment there.

Well said.
  • ivyleafivyleaf Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    1Tonsil I really don't think you should be afraid of coming to London or Glasgow.
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had a look on A**z*n and the one I bought a year ago is not there but several ones called thermal insulation cooking pots are.

I am also think of sewing a Wonderbag to enclose a casserole dish. Once the casserole is browned and started to cook for about 20 minutes it is then put in the wonderbag to continue. One of the posters on old style called Mooloo takes orders to sew them and it should be cheaper than online stores.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion