Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

April 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 16

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

April 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 24 March 2013 at 12:36PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 82K views

Replies

• edited 28 March 2013 at 8:35PM
    ImDoingItForMeImDoingItForMe Forumite
    880 posts
    edited 28 March 2013 at 8:35PM
    Hi, ive just updated my signature, I spent £4.57 today (well a bit more but im not including a bottle of alcohol i bought on offer, as thats come out of my social life spends for the month :D) Managed to get back to buying a Ys loaf of bread, and some other things also used coupons too. Now ive got a coupon for £5 off a £40 shop for next week, not sure i will use it as i dont spend that much, Im thinking of maybe getting a few bits for my home, ie kitchen bits or bedding or some more cheap alcohol for xmas :rotfl:.
  • pinkypigpinkypig Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Used my final Aldi voucher to stock up on meat for the freezer plus the usual weekly fresh stuff. Got a leg of lamb, a large joint of beef and 2 gammon joints (got the 1.3 kg ones as the were down to 3.99 which worked out cheaper than the special offer on large gammon joints). Spent £40.23 after vouchers but it will be really nice to have some lovely roast dinners:)

Have a good Easter weekend everyone.

PP xx
    MFW 2018 #157 Target £15,000:eek:

£23,095.71/£15,000:j :j :j
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did a list for my weekend shop and TBH I don't really need much more than the basic bread, milk and fruit for next week and some cream to make a cake for Sunday's desert. I have given myself a talking to as I had planned to go to mr t and use some vouchers but I would be spending a fortune on stuff just to hit the minimum spend.

Instead I will buy my short list in mr s using £23 ish of n3ctar points and buy 6 bottles of wine from M&S as they have 25% off until Saturday and stock some of our favourites.

I did a big shop in mr t last week and I have all the meat still not used and some other bits too.

£15 spent in M&S tonight on wine, lemonade, pizza and some sweeties. Managed to stop myself buying a gorgeous plain chocolate egg as it was a tenner:eek:
    PAYDBX 2020 £3578.25/£10,000 35.8% Emergency Fund - 100% Savings Target by 30th June - 45%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 156 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • BeckyC2beBeckyC2be Forumite
    175 posts
    Florenceem wrote: »
    How are fridge and freezer?

Freezer's pretty good. Few portions of spag bol and chili. Also got a fair few processed chicken bits, what we've been putting off eating! Fridge is a bit bare but I use coffee whitener instead of milk so that will help!

I'm actually really looking forward to really trying to budget and cut down :)
    Rubbish at the grocery challenge!
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Spend of £1 on milk today.
    For dinner we had pizza with HM wedges and roasted veggies - red onions, white onion, mushrooms, red pepper & orange peppers.

Thursdaysdinner-1_zps505fc76e.jpg
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • BeckyC2beBeckyC2be Forumite
    175 posts
    £8.82 in B&M yesterday - but includes a litre of olive oil and 4 tins of tuna (Princes) for £3.69 which is the best I've seen anywhere atm. Had to do a shop in Tesco today but kept it to £20.22 which is a miracle for me as I can easily drop £60 in there without trying. Going to a bring and share meal at church tonight - bringing two "different" salads for 20 - sweet potato, fig and goats cheese (Ottolenghi - Jerusalem book and not too bad as it's mostly roasted sweet potato) and a cucumber, dill and yoghurt salad. Invited to friends tomorrow night but they've only asked for HM bread - so that's easily achieved from the storecupboard. Oh yes and £4.40 on duck eggs to dye for the weekend as it's impossible to find white shelled eggs round here - but some of those will be gifts as well.

Don't know if you have a poundstretchers near you, but they have John West tuna - 4 tins for £3 at the minute. Hope that helps somebody.
    Rubbish at the grocery challenge!
  • nannygladysnannygladys Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, did a freezer inventory (sounds grand!!) and I have 8 HM ready meals and 8 portions of fish, and bags of veggie sos, mince, pieces and burgers, so really I have enough in to manage all main meals in April - not:) I always have quite a bit left as although I meal plan and make/freeze meals I dont always fancy them and end up having something on toast or pizza or something, anyway my cupboards also look quite healthy so by rights I shouldnt have too much to buy, just fresh veg, fruit and milk, I even have enough stuff to make bread with as well, trouble is it doesnt work out like that so hoping this challange will make me think more about meals and hopefully have some money leftover at the end of the month
    nannyg
    Frugal challenge 2020
    Sealed pot 13 no.31
    Emergency fund 230.76/1000
  • NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Nick, they are on F/book if you are on there- full name Cloud 9 Bargains. They do catering size packs of cleaning stuff in 5l containers. They deliver to your door depending on where you live. If you're still interested and can't find them I'll pm you a link later (as on my phone at the mo).

Ah thanks! I'll have a look at them :) I didn't know if it was a code for something (as we say Mr T, Sainsbugs etc). :o
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • edited 28 March 2013 at 11:34PM
    Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 28 March 2013 at 11:34PM
    Small spends today - £1.29 on a bag of spinach and 89p on two pints of milk at Mr M.

OH was meeting a friend after work and ended up getting a chippy (paid for it himself) so instead of getting the planned mushroom stroganoff out of the freezer, I invented a gorgeous mackerel and pea pasta dish:

1 tin mackerel in oil (think this was 69p from A*di)
    75g pasta (value penne, 5p)
    80g frozen peas (value, 8p)
    1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped (12p or so)
    1 clove garlic, crushed (3p)

Roughly 97p for the meal, not including the parmesan.

Cook the pasta in salted water, adding the peas a couple of minutes before the end. Drain when cooked and return the empty pan to a low heat, tipping a little of the mackerel oil in. Add the garlic, cook for 20 seconds and tip in the mackerel and capers, breaking up the fish a bit for another 20 seconds.

Toss through the pasta, season with lots of black pepper, and serve with grated parmesan if desired. So tasty!

5BD43260-3101-457D-83F3-CC5587ED45F2-164-0000017509B9D8BF_zpsfbbf046e.jpg

Will add to the index.
    :heart: Married 1 March 2014 :heart::D DS born 06 Dec 2014 :D DD born 14 Dec 2018
  • Tales17Tales17 Forumite
    257 posts
    Can you put me down for £550

Already know there will be £100 ish wine order at the beginning of the month so will try to keep the rest of the monthly spending down! :)
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)