Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

March 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 83

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

March 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 February 2013 at 9:57AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 72.6K views

Replies

• Totally lost the budget - last two weeks - no real grocery shops and not tracked my budget - I know I'm within it - just been using stuff up though, so that I can defrost the freezer and start a fresh in Aprils challenge with fresh store cupboard stuff and freezer stuff

This weeks target £50

Will keep track this week

For arguments sake I will say £100/£200 spent budget so far
    Seal pot challenge no 7- :) # 331 Saved £140 SPC - Target £30
    Grocery challenge - £100 a week
    Weekly Spend Challenge - £40 :)
  • Tales17Tales17 Forumite
    257 posts
    Checking in again as I forgot to say last week my partner bought a large pork and beef joint half price from Mr T, chopped it up to give us 2 roasting joints and then did 3 big bags of mixed mince! Quite impressed with how much came out of them, he went back and bought the same and did it again the next day!! Our new freezer is filling up nicely!! :)

Came back from our family visiting today, and bread maker is out, plugged in and set up to give us a lovely fresh loaf in the morning!! Off to bed now and looking forward to the smell in the morning!!!! :)
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • edited 19 March 2013 at 2:24AM
    Downsizing__for_sanityDownsizing__for_sanity Forumite
    390 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 19 March 2013 at 2:24AM
    Re: nappies: it is a toss up I suppose which kind saves you money or time, depends on what is best for your family. I have used reusables with my 2nd baby, and oh how much you save. I have fairly basic fleece/PUL nappies I bought from a friend, with some also free from the local Real Nappy Project. The benefits of these are that they are practically dry as soon as you take them out of the machine, as they are partly microfiber. We also have some really stylish ones ( bought 2nd or 3rd or maybe 4th hand!) which apparently cost up to £40 brand new. (Seriously - for a nappy?) Gorgeous if say they were at a wedding or something in a dress that it showed the nappy. Needless to say I did NOT spend that much on them. My youngest is now nearly potty trained at 2yrs 5mths, and I think partly that is because she is used to how it feels when she is wet. We use the reusables at night now with just one booster. I still have pull ups in the house and have used them when for example we have all been ill with D&V - not nice to have yucky nappies hanging around. You can often get the reusables from the Real Nappy Project locally for free, and I would recommend them as even if you don't fancy using them during the day, it doesn't take much to stick them in the wash each day and only use them overnight or when you're at home anyway. Anyone who is interested, feel free to PM me for a chat or more info. Free is great! Ellie (DFS)
  • SmooshSmoosh Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Apple and blueberry porridge for breakfast, value tomato soup with cheese and value bread for lunch, free pizza from OH's work for dinner and chocolate (present for Easter from OH's family) and YS yoghurt as snacks :)

Did a little bit of shopping today as there were a couple of bits we needed, spent about £5. Got drinks (4 2 litre bottles), coconut milk, bread, energy drinks (3 cans) and eggs (6), so not bad. But also had to spend about £7 on razors for OH and I also found some really nice boots reduced to £5 from £22 so I got them too! Of course, not adding those to this budget though.

Will probably have more of the leftover pizza for breakfast/lunch tomorrow, not sure what I'll do for dinner.

Just over £20 left to last the month, determined to do this!
  • KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spent £29.35 yesterday at Mr M in our main shop for the week. Hopefully nothing else needed now until the end of the week to last us through the weekend.

KB xx

• NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello all!

I've been AWOL for a while, because I've had a few days off as holiday - well time spent at home with day trips and either a nice lunch out and snacks, but saved a bit of money by eating dinner at home.

I allocated the amount of 'spending money' I usually have on holiday, but deducted a bit to take into account I've cooked at home. Due to this I've now got more money in my 'holiday allowance' :D

Also gained from money not spent on a hotel. This is new for me, because a holiday used to always mean going somewhere, but as long as I do different things than a usual week it still feels like a break...

Anyway...onto spends (and it's getting tight this month, because food is still scarce!)

Mr S on 13th March - £3.29 (on BOGOF mouthwash)
    M+S on 14th March - £1.55
    Mr T on 14th March - £3.20
    M+S on 16th March - £5
    M+S on 18th March - £8.81

= £21.85 in total

Hope everyone is well.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • becsxxxbecsxxx Forumite
    802 posts
    Any chance you can share the recipes for the belly pork and key lime pie pretty please???

Yes of course!

Slow cooked belly pork

I usually brine mine first, but the recipe doesn't require that.

1-1.2kg of belly pork - rub all over with salt, pepper and oil. Score the fat on the top and rub with more salt and oil.

Roughly smash a couple of garlic gloves (still in their skins) and put in the bottom of a roasting tin. Put the pork on top and add some sprigs of fresh thyme (I always freeze this and this works really well in this recipe). Add a splash of white wine to the bottom of the pan (could use a little stock if you don't want to use wine). Cover with foil.

Put in a preheated oven at 150 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, basting once or twice in that time. Then take the foil off and cook for another 1 1/2 hours - again, baste a couple of times.

Now you can either (a) shove the meat under the grill for 5-10 mins on as high as it will go to make the crackling crispy, rest and serve OR (b) (what I do as I love making this the day before so I can spend time with my guests) leave the meat to go cold then refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve heat the oven as high as it will possibly go, add a little more oil and salt to the meat fat and put pork in the oven for 20 mins (so crackling crisps again and it's piping hot - if crackling doesn't turn, you may wish to pop under grill). Rest, carve and serve!

The meat juices contribute to a delicious gravy (pour off the excess fat).

Succulent and just delicious. I served mine with potato dauphinoise, spicy red cabbage, peas, gravy and apple sauce - for a meal that felt very luxurious but in fact was pretty cheap.

No-bake key lime pie

Super easy and doesn't matter if your quantities are not exactly the same as mine below - it will be fine!

Crush approx 150g ginger nuts with 100g digestives. Mix with 100g melted butter and then press down in your dish (around 20cm) to form a cheesecake-type base (I like quite a thick base so adjust accordingly!). Chill in the fridge to set for at least 30 mins.

Mix together a large tin (just over 300g I think) of sweetened condensed milk and half a pint of double cream. Whisk a bit (do not worry, it won't particularly thicken up yet!).

Squeeze the juice from 5 limes and also grate the rind. Mix into your cream/milk mix, reserving a little bit of the rind. Whisk a bit and it should now thicken up quite well.

Cover the biscuit base with the mixture and allow to set in the fridge for at least a couple of hours (I like to leave it overnight). Add the lime rind you reserved to the top to decorate and serve.

Enjoy! :)
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    flo that sheps pie looks lovely...quite fancy making that myself and the key lime pie sounds very pleasant...thankyou for posting the recipe

i have made some scones with milk that was on the turn shall we say and i have made some rock buns to use in packups

tonight we are having quiche and ds 1 and 2 are having fishfingers for tea....roast chicken tomorrow and stew the day after so quite organised for a change

have a nice day tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Spends today
    £2.18 Mr T
    50p Aldi

snowing again here!
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • VickyhVickyh Forumite
    96 posts
    well i have almost spent my budget!!

I have been cheeky though- i removed the birthday beer and wine from the budget as we don't actually drink that often- so it seemed silly to have £30 spent on booze- when it not an honest reflection of what we eat / buy. Food for the party however stayed, as we usually do have a someone round for dinner in the money (either parents or friends)

Casualties- some liver went in the bin- as i wasn't quick enough in cooking it- and as it was for the baby i wasn't going to risk it - rough cost £1.00

Carrots- again i forgot to take them out the plastic bag- they sweated and went all soft (it was disgusting) I was able to salvage some- carrot cupcakes and cottage pie so far- vegi burgers tomorrow.

I also have included nappies and wet wipes as it is part of my shop- but next month i think i will buy them for the whole month in one transaction. I also want to reduced the wet wipe usage and start using a flannel to wipe LO hands and face after food.

Also next month i will be trying a veg box- and planning my meals around that- i am fed up of having to buy cheap veg which goes off far too quickly and having little variety. I am also going to try eat less meat but buy better quality meat from our butchers- again fed up of cheap meat! Butchers i use to buy from offered a tray of meat for £10 and this would last us for a good 10 meals over a month! (though once OH bought a tray only consisting only of Chinese flavoured meat so i had to buy another to give us some variety!)

So hopefully a better out come next month!