Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

September 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 73

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 22 August 2012 at 1:00PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 105.7K views

Replies

• Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Went out for dinner on Saturday - thankfully a different budget. Great views of Tower Bridge with the paralympic symbol - once in a lifetime opportunity :) Took my extended family out for a pub lunch yesterday. Again a different budget. All these meals out as it's my birthday today :D:D:D

Some spends to report: second purse, MrT and MrC. Totals updated and not looking too shabby!
    Cross-stitch WIP1: Christmas Pots - Historical Sampler Company

Cross-stitch WIP2: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
  • Happy birthday coxy!
    GC July 345/325Aug GC 297.50/300:money: GC Sept £251/300
    GC Oct 235/275 Nov GC £72/250
    NSD 5/30:D
    My month runs 22nd -22nd:cool:
  • Save_DoshSave_Dosh Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday coxy!
    yes, happy birthday - hope your having a nice day
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73 -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    :bdaycake:Happy Birthday coxy
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • mossymossy Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Coxy!! :bdaycake:

To tired to make dinner (and so it begins!!) :o So nipped in to Wa!trose and bought a french stick to turn into pizza bread. Was going to make pizza dough, but was too hungry and tired. Also picked up a huge block of my fav cheese which was reduced.

Wa!trose £5.09
    Sweet shop for DD 30p
    A jeans button thingy for DH's jeans as they've broken 40p

I'm really sure I daren't work out the total!!
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • Another small (£1.73) spend after work to get a few bits I forgot/didn't know I needed at the weekend - some custard to have with a crumble I made yesterday to use up some old apples, some ham for the rest of my lunches this week and some YS veggies.

Will need milk later in the week but hoping thats it till the weekend!

Hope one of you might be able to help me - I'm having dinner guests on Saturday and I have a gammon joint to use up, any ideas for what to make? Not a roast dinner, ideally something that can be pre-prepared and cooked later (like lasagne) athough not essential and also no cheese as one guest is allergic. I've checked out the recipe index and found the gammon and leek crumble but OH doesn't want that, grrrrrrr. Any bright ideas anyone??
    TIA

• edited 11 September 2012 at 8:33AM
    jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 September 2012 at 8:33AM
    Robinsons classic mincemeat is currently 20p at Tesco:

photo-100.jpg

I used half a jar with some YS Bramleys for a lovely after supper pud...

Make up a batch of shortcrust pastry (8oz plain flour, 4oz fat, enough water to turn into a workable dough).

Line an old plate with a layer of pastry.
    Put a layer of mincemeat onto it and top with sliced apple:
    photo-106.jpg

Liberally sprinkle sugar onto the apples (I like to use golden sugar as it makes the apples toffee like but white is fine)

photo-116.jpg

Top with pastry. Put an eggy wash over it and again sprinkle liberally with sugar:

photo-104.jpg

Bake until cooked and golden:

photo-118.jpg

Smother with custard or cream and enjoy :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • PossessionPossession Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another small (£1.73) spend after work to get a few bits I forgot/didn't know I needed at the weekend - some custard to have with a crumble I made yesterday to use up some old apples, some ham for the rest of my lunches this week and some YS veggies.

Will need milk later in the week but hoping thats it till the weekend!

Hope one of you might be able to help me - I'm having dinner guests on Saturday and I have a gammon joint to use up, any ideas for what to make? Not a roast dinner, ideally something that can be pre-prepared and cooked later (like lasagne) athough not essential and also no cheese as one guest is allergic. I've checked out the recipe index and found the gammon and leek crumble but OH doesn't want that, grrrrrrr. Any bright ideas anyone??
    TIA

You could have the gammon cold and do a Nigella with her sweetcorn pudding and some dauphinoise potatoes -
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/sweet-corn-pudding-recipe/index.html

• rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    jumblejack, I've added your Apple and Mincemeat Pie to the index, it looks delish :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • I find the coupon thread more up my strasse, I can browse the latest offers and print them if I use that product. That is here if you don't already know.

HTH
    SL

Thanks for that - had a look on the coupon thread and printed a few off for 50p off Oatso Simple. This is currently on offer at Mr T reduced from £2.29 to £1 so that means I'll get it for 50p!!:T

NSD today - my total currently stands at £116.40/£200 with 2 more big shops to do before the end of the month.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and ideas on here, they really make a difference. x