PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• liz-paul wrote: »
    OH got a load of apples from his mums garden and e even peeled, cored, chopped and stewed them :eek: Had a lovely apple crumble last night and will freeze the rest as 2 or 3 portions.

Also had a roast chicken last night and I'm going to make stock from the carcass. This is only my second time making stock and I'm wondering if it is good value? I made a lamb stock 2 weeks ago and it needed ages on the hob - just wondered if I used a lot of electric...?

i crockpot mine and put all the limp veg in it
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Great tips regarding the courgettes!

I will store that one away in my noggin for future reference:T

Thanks for the B&M heads up Craig too! I might nip down today just in case ours are doing it too.

I'm making cordials again today. My kitchen looked like there had been a murder last night when I was vigorously destemming my elderberries. This wasn't helped by my hysterical screaming when I discovered that the tickling sensation on my chest, then my neck, then my chin was in actual fact, not stray hairs from my ponytail but was A BIG SPIDER!:eek:

The berries are now being strained ready for making a syrup later today:

[IMG][/img]photo-91.jpg

OMG I would have died on the spot.
    Slimming World at target
  • liz-paul
    Options
    I made the stock and it is delicious!! Much better than the lamb one.
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • tessie_bear
    Options
    hi...spend in the coop today and farmfoods and aldi...going to make a chicken pie for tea and roast some beef for tomorrow ....might make fried rice with the leftovers the next day and possibly sarnies as it is quite a large piece

might do a plum crumble for pudding served with ice cream...yum yum

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Lulabelle06
    Options
    Went to Asda this morning and spent £50.32. Got all food for week though including a few extra treats for my puppy who is having the snip today. Bless him! I'm on pins until 2pm when I can call and check he's ok. Ridiculous isnt it!! I also have probably enough meat for next week but will need to buy some extra fish. Co-op seem to have some reasonable offers this week and as my mum works there I will send her in with her discount card and my money hehe. Meanwhile we have had a good idea re sweets for xmas (sorry I know its september but we are christmas crazy!) My mum bought 4 tins of sweets (2 celebrations 1 roses and 1 quality street) we seperated all tins and sorted into flavours. We said what we do and dont like. Split them between the 3 tins and then put the ones no one in my family likes (Twixs!!) into the 4th and mum will use them at Halloween for the little darlings trick or treating. Just hope they like hard toffees and coconuts haha! Just a quick note-Roses seemed to have the most even spread of flavours. In Quality street we had 4 soft caramel cups and over 10 coconuts!

Re meal planning, I do the meal plan and on a friday night we have 'treat dinner' and OH chooses that one. This week is gammon.
  • pajama
    pajama Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Signature updated with my spends done at the end of last week and this morning.

Aldi £47.18
    Tesco £45.26
    Sainsbury's £10.39

My money doesn't go as far nowadays. No food is ever wasted in my house and everything I buy always gets eaten. So I know I'm not wasting money on unnecessary purchases but still struggle to reduce my shopping bill. Maybe one day I'll get the hang of this malarky. Hate to think what my grocery bill would be if I wasn't trying!

Hope your all doing better than me x
    Grocery Challenge - Sept £205.56/£350.00

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Cordial finished now :)
    One carrier bag made well over 2 litres:

photo-99.jpg

We had a lovely dinner too at 12. It was whoopsied beef fro. Ages ago that I had cooked in bulk and sliced for the freezer along with other bits that needed using up:

photo-97.jpg

We will have a light tea now but have a big pud at 7pm as I have more Bramleys to use up ;)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Finally managed to clear one shelf in the outside freezer just three more to go then I can defrost it properly. :)

Have been given a price list from a wholesale butchers that a local restaurant uses and am looking forwards to re-stocking the freezer from there in the not to distant future. However will have to have a think how am going to justify this with the grocery budget. Have been thinking that every time I use some of the meat I pay £2 or £3 from the grocery budget but put it up ready for the second order of meat and not add the full cost to the budget in one go IYKWIM. Anyone got any thought on this and if it would work?

No spends to add at the moment although DH kept saying we wanted bread, he doesn’t class homemade bread as bread for sandwiches!!! It’s nothing to do with the taste of the bread as he likes it its just that I usually make a round shape loaf and he doesn’t think it’s the ‘right’ shape for sandwiches!!!!:wall:
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Billie-jo wrote: »
    Have been thinking that every time I use some of the meat I pay £2 or £3 from the grocery budget but put it up ready for the second order of meat and not add the full cost to the budget in one go IYKWIM. Anyone got any thought on this and if it would work?!:wall:

I do something similar, its a variation of the second purse - i call it "buy back" and use it when i do not need a particular item at that moment, but think its a good price to justify stocking. I put a price sticker on it and when i use it, i count the amount on the sticker into my grocery budget. I also add a bit on top, e.g., i bought some 5lt bottles of washing up liquid, that were 99p, but put a price of £3.75 on it, not sure why i do that, but it helps to further bring down spends.
  • sneakyspender
    Options
    Hello all, great ms tips as always. Spent £6.50 yesterday on stock cube.and pre-dinner nibbles (dhs birthday).Other than that haven't bought anything since wednesday and plan to shop again on thursday so realy pleased. MIL came down this W/E and has bought loads of beans and salad, any bright ideas for using them (I have no space in my freezer).Still got loads of apples so will go blackberry picking with dcs after school tommorow
    GC July 345/325Aug GC 297.50/300:money: GC Sept £251/300
    GC Oct 235/275 Nov GC £72/250
    NSD 5/30:D
    My month runs 22nd -22nd:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business