Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

December 2011 - Grocery Challenge - Page 53

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

December 2011 - Grocery Challenge

edited 17 November 2011 at 11:18AM in Old Style MoneySaving
964 replies 77.3K views

Replies

• Fiasco55Fiasco55 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I had planned NSD for yesterday and today but that hasn't gone to plan. I caught the cold on Saturday and have been feeling rotten since. Even worse I had a surprise when I went to get some cold & flu tablets in the medicine drawer to find an empty box!! Cue flashback to my friend last month asking for something to help his cold when he was staying over. ARRGGGHHH! So had to stump up £5.99 for replacements. Managed a NSD today.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • Well it's up to you ultimately and depends if you have a separate budget for eating out. Myself I coun these in my grocery spends as its takeaways and cafes, snacks on the go-that really add up in your weekly spend when you look in your purse and wonder wehre the money went! My philosophy is that if I eat it, I count it! Just makes things simple because, as you say, it gets complicated otherwise.
    so I would count the cafe, the girlie night and the takeaway. If you later decide not to add these in, at least you have a record of your spending and know what it is costing you on average.

Thanks. I've added on everything that me and OH have eaten and drunk out of the house this month, including alcohol (well, estimated it as best I could). Total looks scarier now, and I have my work Xmas meal to add on! :S
    Future hopes, dreams & emergencies fund: £4,000
    No. Internet. Shopping.
  • mum26mum26 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, dp popped into tesco this morning for apples for lunchboxes and he got 2 danishes as well (total I would guess was £2.50), such a feeder!

Three youngest have school christmas parties tommorow so i've made and iced gingerbread hearts and stars for them to take in, first time of using a new recipe and it was lovely, especially because I had converted it from american "cups" to oz,lol!

Nice to be on the home straight now (dp gets paid on the 16th but I can do a little top up shop on wednesday when I get my tax credits) just determined to stick on the grocery challenge and not fritter money away.
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been a bit naughty tody and spent £2.92 in the work canteen and coffee shop on tea and cereal(planned) and a not very nice latte and mince pie (not planned).

I have a feeling I may need a bit of full fat milk for DS before Monday, when my GC ends and I get my next bit of money, but should be ok for nappies I hope.

Had a chat with 2 of my colleagues today about how much more we are all having to spend on food this year compared with previous years. It is comforting to know it is not just me who is struggling to spend anywhere near what I did on this challenge 12 months ago, but it is depressing to know there isn't a huge amount you can do about it when food just keeps going up in price:(
    PAYDBX 2020 £3338.68/£10,000 33.4% Emergency Fund - 100% Savings Target by 30th June - 40%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 150 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • added abother £16.5 to my spends last night in Sains! Only went in for milk and tuna. Did get some good bargains though. £1.04 for an indian meal with curry, rice, onion baji and naan. Fed the 2 of us for dinner tonight topped off with a blueberry muffin (34p for 4). Also managed to pick up a 10 pack of Quaker oats for 99p as the box was bashed. A few other goodies too so quite happy.

Wanted to buy a ham hough to make soup but i was too late to boil it. Picked up a massive pack of cooking bacon and chopped that up and fried a bit before adding the veg ect. Wasnt as tasty as ham but didthe job. and at 99p rather than £2.19, and theres enough left for another pot.

I really am struggling with the price of food too (says me who wasted money on muffins and 'lazy' porridge) but i feel we have cut back massively in the last few years but dont seem to be spending much less, if at all!

Now at almost £100 of £150 for the month of December.Not even half way through and still to get wine for Christmas. I think i might callange myself to a NSW (no spend week) this week???
    June GC £130.93/£150
    Wedding Date Set 13th October 2012 :T
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a little spend today. DC3 hasn't been well and was off school today but I had to take him out with me to take the other two to school and to pop into town to pick up some milk, seems the more I get in in my home delivery the more DH drinks it :mad: Our consumption is just sky rocketing at the moment. Anyway on the way down to town DC3 was flagging and wanted a drink and something to eat and was cold and wanted the toilet etc. etc. so I popped into our lovely hotel we have in town, where the ladies wot lunch go and got a squash, packet of crisps, coffee and 2 crumpets for me :o:o After all I said the other day :o Though DC3 was most impressed when they presented his crisps to him in a bowl :D That was £5.50.

I got the milk from Iceland and got 8pints for £2 (2x4pints for £1). I think that might be the cheapest milk there is so I might have to get DH to pop in there on a Weekend and stock up.

Comfort food for dinner tonight. Cheesy Pasta, Brocolli and Bacon Bake.

I put a panful of pasta on to cook (we get ours on prescription as 2 DC are GI but you can pick up value for around 25p) and 500g of brocolli that was a YS at 40p a while back and bunged in the freezer. When cooked I slung the brocolli in a big oval pyrex dish and put the pasta on top. A quick wash of the pans and fried off the bacon (MrT value cooking bacon 500g 75p. I used about half of it) in one pan and started the roux for the cheese sauce in the other. Bacon flung into the pasta/brocolli mix.

To make the cheese sauce I melted 2 tblsp marg/spread in a saucepan and then added 2 tblsp plain flour (GF in our case.) when it came together I started adding milk slowly untill it was a thick white sauce. Added 2tsp english mustard and a grinding of salt and pepper and then put in 200g ish of mature chedder (MrT british mature white 1kg £5.59) Poured it on top of the pasta/broc/bacon. Scatter some extra cheese on top.

Put under the grill for around 10 mins until bubbling. Wolfed down in no time flat and a very cheap, cold weather comfort food, rather than mega healthy.

I have some left which I am going to use as the side bit for tomorrows dinner for the kids, I will do baked spuds for DH and I as the side bit. If all goes according to plan I am going to do a SC sausage and bacon thing.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    £2.40 today in Te$co on bread flour, milk and single cream. DD2 wanted to go to the chippie for her tea and reluctantly I agreed as her friends were going so that cost me £4.40 s0 £6.80 total spend.

I got a 25% off code for Ocado today and so went online and ordered some stuff to be delivered next Tuesday - ordered things like on offer Andrex and Always, plus stewing steak, chicken breasts, chicken thigh fillets, popping corn and lentils and loads and loads of the no-drain tuna which was on offer for £2.65 for 3 tins - in all I got £51 of shopping for £38 and I also had free delivery so felt like I had got a bargain.

I have worked out that I need to spend £40 odd in Aldi and about the same in Tesco for all of my provisions to last from now until after Christmas so if that works out I should come in under budget.

Decided to paint one wall of DD2's room with Blackboard paint when I was sorting it out today so that will be £7 for the tin of paint and as I don't have a budget for it I will take it out of the grocery budget.

Thanks for the tip on the muffin cases in B&M Quintwins - I have never bought them there before but that is a great price!

Dinner tonight was spaghetti and meatballs and there is loads left over as DD2 went to the chippie so I will have it tomorrow. We also ate the bread and butter pudding I made yesterday. I don't know if it is because I didn't eat anything for 48 hours at the weekend when I had that bug but I can't seem to fill myself up today!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • another £63 for me for big shop on weekend x
    £228/£400 dec groc challenge...
  • debbiedeejaydebbiedeejay Forumite
    504 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    £13.54 spend to declare in Mr M's - this is still due to me still not well and can't face cooking properly yet.
    But it does include a very nice toffee and pecan pie reduced from £3.99 to 89p now in freezer for Xmas and the whole vac pac chestnuts dad wanted but could not find the other day.

Plus £4.18 is on snacks & drinks for DD2 who goes on a three day college trip tommorrow -cheaper than motorway services.
    The rest was on carp for teen DD's teas plus two pasties that can be frozen(oh and parcetamol and a bandage for DD3 who fell three times on school astro - after third time school realised kids weren't lying when they said it was icy:mad: during sport lesson)

Off to update sig now. Realise that I will be over GC budget this month but at least it will give me a base line figure for next Dec:o
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160
  • danniedannie Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I had an errand yesterday so also spent another £1.80 to top up some storecupboard items. Not expecting to do much shopping this month so it will be interesting to see my total expenditure. Have been reading about how much debt people will have after Xmas and of course, the rising grocery prices. :eek: