Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 February 2011 at 1:01AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.5K replies 168K views

Replies

• tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spiggle, unfortunatly ours don't deliver. They used to, but it is one of the things they had to stop doing when the crunch hit as people were ordering 2 pork chops and half a pound of bacon. Though I may suggest to them that they look at doing it if an order is over a certain amount.

Have just been looking at the local free paper and Riverford are advertising their veg boxes with free delivery and they reckon they are on average 20% cheaper than supermarkets. Has anyone had any experiance of Riverford?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Missus_AkaMissus_Aka Forumite
    285 Posts
    technically you dont need a clubcard i dont think you just wont gain the points but just use a different email add. then just make sure you pay cash i guess then use the vouchers on shops where you pay cash
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    that seems like too much effort tbh, if i even manage £100 i'll eb ahppy never mind more :) xxx
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
    285 Posts
    yeah i guess it depends on everyones circumstances (people have just been buying anything that will give them more in vouchers just to get that extra couple of pounds) but i just bought things that i will need anyway or are a slight luxury like oxiaction powder, i wont go up to £100 anyway. i dont spend that much at mrt to justify it, but it just helps buy treats/stock up
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i would be too worried it wouldn't work to waste money on stuff i wouldn't use, ok most of ours is treats, but tbh we tend to buy treats and fizzy drinks over the weekend anyway and i do need shampoo :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • nat21luvnat21luv Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spiggle, unfortunatly ours don't deliver. They used to, but it is one of the things they had to stop doing when the crunch hit as people were ordering 2 pork chops and half a pound of bacon. Though I may suggest to them that they look at doing it if an order is over a certain amount.

Have just been looking at the local free paper and Riverford are advertising their veg boxes with free delivery and they reckon they are on average 20% cheaper than supermarkets. Has anyone had any experiance of Riverford?

I'd like to know too, I know they deliver my way but have no idea how good they are of if its value for money?
    £12k in 2020 #=
    1% challenge #61 £142= 81% £10 a day = £460/£500

**MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DH has just phoned and he is going to be late tonight so after some discussion I have done the boys jacket spuds with beans and cheese and we are going to have a treat. For treat, read Subway :o

Have just done the most scrummy gluten free Banana and Walnut loaf. It's used up some bananas that have started to go over. Boys will have it for there pud.

Grease and line a bread tin (I use a silicone one so I just grease it.)
    Heat oven to 180 deg C.

90g of butter/marg
    185g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    500g banana, mashed (this is about 3 bananas)
    220g Gluten Free flour
    1/4 tsp bicarb of soda
    125g nuts (I used walnut but the recipe says mixed nuts, so just use what you have.)

Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition.

Add bananas and beat again

Stir in flour, bicarb and nuts

Put in tin and bake for about 1 1/4 hours until well risen and firm.

Turn out on a wire rack and cool.

Tastes great in a bowl with custard :D
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon, everyone! Hope everyone is having a good day. It's the weekend! Apart from feeling a bit down today (events in Japan and other reasons) but otherwise I'm feeling OK. It's a No Spend Day for me - whee! I did buy a couple of things, but they came from a different budget than the grocery challenge one, so I'm not fussed.

Way to go, Mrs M! That's some inspirational weight loss. Well done. :)

Tea tonight will be whatever DH decides he wants. There's some mince out, some part baked baguettes, lots of eggs (so omelettes would be a possibility), soup in the cupboard, or takeaway (highly unlikely). I'll leave the choice to him, but there's no real need for me to go to the supermarket over the weekend. Hopefully that's another couple of NSDs.

Take care, everyone. Have a good evening.

KB xx

285 Posts
    well fanta is £1.66 at mrt and £1 at mra so you would get £1.32 back in a voucher and sprite is the same prices as well, if you want to make sure you get money back check online tesco price checker before you go out and stick to branded items its easier
  • edited 11 March 2011 at 6:27PM
    quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 March 2011 at 6:27PM
    i saw that i sprite tins are £2.89 aswell but £1.50 in a$da so i'm getting those i know it's not as good value but there for me and i don't drink much and oh diet pepsi cause it's £1.79 but £1 in a$da aswell, yeah i've made a list and will send oh to a diferent till if we pick up anything else and i'll just scan threw whats on my wee list lol
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
This discussion has been closed.