March 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 February 2011 at 1:01AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.5K replies 168K views

Replies

• sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    back from sainsbugs and t3sco

spent £14.57 in sainsbugs

wh!ska simply £3
    sains own cat food £2.65
    pl flour £0.52
    sr flour £0.52
    carrots £0.19
    oxo cubes £1.95 BOGOF
    double cream £0.95
    galaxy cake bar £1.45 BOGOF
    mu!!er yog x6 £3.29 BOGOF

and spent £7.53 in t3sco

basic froz sweetcorn £0.87
    basic froz peas £0.76
    romaine lettuce £1 BOGOF
    2 x mega naan £0.49 whoopsied
    wraps x8 £1.75 BOGOF
    golden syrup £0.77

with the shop from L!dl yesterday , should have eveything i need for the week . :D
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like grilling pork chops, and topping one side with apple sauce and then cheese on top. mmmmmm
    however, as we speak i have cider and honey mustard pork in the SC. it is the first time i have made it and i am following the ingredients from a normal recipe (except i increased the amount of liquid). (4 pork chops, 2 tbsp w.g mustard seed, 2 tbsp honey, 2 shallots/half onion, can of dry cider, tub of creme fraiche (which i will add when i get home, stir and then put on high for a bit to finish it off)).
    i am quite excited about what is going to be waiting for me when i get home from work...

Oooh! that sounds nice. Wonder if it will work just as well with apple juice.

Rosiben, I might of guessed there was a thread for it :D

martafdz, thanks for the link :)

Quinttwins, think I will have to do something like that.

Thinking about the monthly menu plan, think I am going to leave one day a week blank so I can add any new interesting recipes I pick up from here in there.

Shopping been delivered and put away. I need to go through my food cupboard I think and weed out some stuff and see what needs using quickly.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    i looked threw the recipes on here and added 2 diferent things we wouldn't normall have into the month
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Oooh! that sounds nice. Wonder if it will work just as well with apple juice.

i dont see why not!!
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • AldahbraAldahbra Forumite
    317 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Try puting those Lattes in the Demotivator :D
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/demotivator/

Hope you enjoy the cookies.

Thanks for the link, I am horrified!! I like Lattes but not that much.

The calculator doesn't quite work out correctly for me as I work term time only, but even so I did best fit and it is a lot.

I've now worked out how much they cost me per year. I also teach an evening class once a week also, and the yearly cost of the Latte is more than I earn for teaching that evening class for a whole term.:(

Good bye Latte:(:(:(
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about that Aldahbra :( My downfall is Subways and I had the shock of my life when I put it in there. So now they are a treat occasionaly.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • edited 11 March 2011 at 2:05PM
    Missus_AkaMissus_Aka Forumite
    285 Posts
    edited 11 March 2011 at 2:05PM
    Went to te$cos yesterday and spent in total £64.12 (deducting non grocery, things for my mum and dh total grocery comes to £50.96) i did this to take advantage of te$cos double the difference offer compared to @sda because i dnt think it will be valid too much longer because of the money you can claim back, i checked my receipts (i did it in 2 receipts to get back the max) and got back £43.74. Im going to take this off my spend as i will use this voucher instead of cash for next months gc leaving me with a total of £7.22 which i will add to my stocking up budget as i wont need to use them for quite a while. Loving the price war though te$cos actually gave me back more on some items then i spent on them and its all items i will use (some people are just buying anything to get the extra money back) if anyone wants i can put up my list so you buy yours and get the vouchers back
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • nat21luvnat21luv Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes please Missus, Ive put in loads of receipts and not a penny back! 'non comparable items' :(
    £12k in 2020 #=
    1% challenge #61 £142= 81% £10 a day = £460/£500

**MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • hi everyone,
    just logged in to update my sig , had a bargain find on my way home in mr w yesterday - big packs of fresh strawberries reduced to 29p each from £3.99:eek: I grabbed four packs and left four for other bargain "red label" shoppers :o
    I ate a few , and as OH doesn't like them and they don't freeze too well , I made 3 jars of jam with the rest :D
    Started my own business and loving being my own boss
    march gc 144/230
  • Missus_AkaMissus_Aka Forumite
    285 Posts
    No problem
    pg t!ps are £4.25 in mrT £3 in mrA so they gave me £2.50 voucher for this
    tre$emme shampoo and conditioner 900ml 2 each (did this on 2 diff receipts and mrT are 3 for £10 and i wanted the extra saving)mrT are £17.20 mrA are £8.00 so they gave me £18.40 voucher for this
    the pink 1.5kg ox! action is £10.88 in mrT and £6 im mrA so got a voucher for £9.76
    fa!ry non bio gel 667ml x 2 is £9.04 in mrT and £6 in mrA so got a voucher for £6.04
    ne$cafe alta rica coffee is £3.69 in mrT and £2 in mrA so got a voucher for £3.38
    pet!ts filous youghurts (4 pack each 100g) x 3 £4.20 in mrT and £3 in mrA so got a voucher for £2.40

and some other bits the best way to do it is to compare on the te$co price checker and it will tell you pretty well if they are comparable or not this is easier when buying branded items kelloggs, heinz etc, buy things that are cheaper at te$cos than a$da on one receipt and everything that is more expensive on another receipt otherwise buying on one receipt just evens the price out. Some of these items are kind off luxurys to me but im hardly paying anything for them (if anything at all) and the rest i buy on a regular basis. Hope that helped you.....
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides