edited 28 February 2011 at 1:01AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.5K replies 168K views

Replies

• never_too_oldnever_too_old Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    CherryPie wrote: »
    Popped on to report a spend of £11.57. I thought to myself that I was doing well. Then added it to my sig :eek:

Also had several lightbulb moments today.

1. I have not long finished watching "A Farmers Life For Me" I really love that show. It just goes to show what hard work the real Farmers put in and why we should try & buy locally instead of going to the SM. Something I will start doing as of now

2. I then switched over to watch the comic relief show about the slums in Kenya. To think I worry about when I can fill my cupboards, and my food cupboards are bigger than the "houses" they live in

3. If RogerRamjet can do it on £0.00, then my budget is a bloomin luxury!!

I've basically got enough food in to last a good few weeks, and although I'm not brave enough to go for zero, i'm going to buy only when absolutely necessary. For me, milk for my coffee just makes it taste nicer. But I'm super motivated tonight, so I'm going for under budget this month

:beer:

totally agree, i have been keeping house for 27 odd years ( started young) lost mum when i was 21 so think i didnt have anyone to get the tips from on how to do things properly, wasnt interested before that so never asked.wish my lightbulb had come on earlier, i now try to buy my meat from the butchers for the reason you said, tired of seeing the little shops clossing.
    £2020 in 2020 challenge no 100 £11.75/£2020
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£2077.52 / 2019
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    CherryPie wrote: »
    2. I then switched over to watch the comic relief show about the slums in Kenya. To think I worry about when I can fill my cupboards, and my food cupboards are bigger than the "houses" they live in

i watched it too, puts things into perspective doesnt it? they live in absolute poverty, puts things into perspective

going to t3sco and sainsbugs today i ust need a few things and i have checked it all on [EMAIL="mysuperm@rket"][email protected][/EMAIL] , so will just take enough cash to cover what i need
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Good morning all

Thoughts to those facing hard times again right now...

Well we nipped shopping yesterday afternoon, I was good and resisted ANY meat -the freezer is groaning with it so I put my head down and scuttled past the meat chillers ;) -so it was mainly milk, water, fruit veg and a bit of dairy,

Im up to €74 now but with 11NSDs out of 14 Im happy enough :D

Had a great day yesterday -I love those days where I have loads of odds n sods to use up -so I got busy and made:-
    • 6 individual frittatas
    using an opened pack of bacon pieces, a sad leek, some peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn and 6 eggs
    • cream of cauliflower cheese soup
    using 2 leeks, 3/4 sad cauli and stock - I add my 14g cheddar to the top of each serving once its warmed
    • made hubbies tomato base for his pizzas
    using some sad tomatoes and onion, olive oil n seasoning
    • made some bread dough and turned it into 3 pizzas -1 for his dinner last night, he has taken 1 to warm up for lunch today and 1 in the fridge
    Used up a large onion, some mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn, chorizo -mozzarella -that wanted using, parmesan and cheddar

So thats quite a few lunches sorted :j

I managed to break through my 8st barrier this week -so 8st 1lb gone -just the last 4st7lb left to shed :j -it is costing me quite a bit in new clothes though :o -although I do take advantage of the sales, and I figure once I get to target it will be much cheaper to buy quality items that will last (thats my reasoning and Im sticking to it :p)
    right I had better stop waffling and get my brekkie.. have a good day everyone and positive thoughts to those awaiting results...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    A spend of £18.18 for me this week. The freezers are now completely full again - so much for eating what I had first. That's it. Apart from fruit, bread and the stuff for the house elf's packed lunch I will not be buying anything else until we have made serious inroads into the food we have. I was contemplating doing a freezer inventory, but I think it would take all day. I have given myself a virtual smack :rotfl: and a good talking to.

Oh, and I bought some sausages from the butcher this week. They're driving the cat mad. When we cook them it paces up and down the kitchen yowling because it wants them. I've never known supermarket sausages to have that effect :D
  • martafdzmartafdz Forumite
    1K Posts
    MrsMcawer that is an amazing amount of weight lost! Congratulations!
    Try puting those Lattes in the Demotivator :D
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/demotivator/

Hope you enjoy the cookies.
    This is brilliant, I had not seen it before! Lol

scotsaver, your dish sounds lush! How do you make the HM chips? I used to fry them (and loved them!) but my DH does not like anything that has been fried pretty much. I mean, he would have it but then would say about how better and healthier they are in the oven... :( Do you make them in the oven? Anyone?
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Just checking with my little iphone app and discovered I'd had 5 nsd this month so pretty pleased about that. Running total is £89.89 so far. Need bread and milk this weekend and maybe a few veg. However I have been feeling a bit crummy this week with a sore throat and headache so have bought lunch at work a couple of times (£2 a time but yucky food) - need to restock the freezer with soup to avoid that happening again!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    martafdz wrote: »
    MrsMcawer that is an amazing amount of weight lost! Congratulations! I agree, well done Mrs McCawber. You must be really chuffed with yourself.

This is brilliant, I had not seen it before! Lol
    It's a fantastic tool, isn't it :DBrings it right home.

scotsaver, your dish sounds lush! How do you make the HM chips? I used to fry them (and loved them!) but my DH does not like anything that has been fried pretty much. I mean, he would have it but then would say about how better and healthier they are in the oven... :( Do you make them in the oven? Anyone?

I'd like to know how to do the chips as well please :D

Sainsbo's delivery will be here between 11 and 12. I will be having a NSD today as well.

Just been having a look through my freezer and have found a pork fillet and some pork chops lurking. So with the extra mince I have from todays dinner, that's 4 meals I have for next week already, just have to decide what to do with it :D

rachbc, what app do you have on your iPhone please?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Nice thread! I think I would save much money because I can have plans for the foods that I would buy.
  • rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    I'd like to know how to do the chips as well please :D

Sainsbo's delivery will be here between 11 and 12. I will be having a NSD today as well.

Just been having a look through my freezer and have found a pork fillet and some pork chops lurking. So with the extra mince I have from todays dinner, that's 4 meals I have for next week already, just have to decide what to do with it :D

rachbc, what app do you have on your iPhone please?

Its called 'spend' and its basically a way of logging spending! I have the free version (obviously lol) that allows you to track 5 budgets - I have one for groceries, petrol, personal spending and 'other'. Its not hugely sophisiticated but hten neither am I :o
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • tigerfeet, ideas:
    - with the mince meat: lasagne, shepherd's pie, bolognese, chili con carne, burritos, meatballs, burgers...
    - with the pork chops: chopped and in skewers, chopped and in batter for sweet and sour pork, chopped and in stew or pie, grilled with garlic and rosemary, with apple sauce...
    - I like my pork fillet with either a barbeque sauce or sticky honey/chinese sauce, then made into medallions before serving. Or with apple sauce if you like it.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs