January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 295.2K views

Replies

• minnie2minnie2 Forumite
    513 Posts
    Missus_Aka wrote: »
    minnie2 we usually use about 9 a month so x12 but i always get an extra pack just in case, dh the same so told him i would start buying tesco value if he didnt stop i buy 18 for £3.99 @ home [email protected] i was going to get 18 for £3.59 but the £3.99 was so much softer & i figured i could spend an extra 20p per month instead of using sandpaper

well i dont know what he does with them!! they always go missing!! other night he used two whole rolls to mop up a whole pint of juice he spilt all over the bedroom carpet! argh!! i had to get out of bed and get my cleaning stuff but hed used two by the time i got back upstairs
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • becky170becky170 Forumite
    792 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Another £8.41 spend today. That includes stocking up on nibbles for having people over on saturday. Just got to get some vodka to go with it now :)

Can I be put down for £135 for feb please? I'm planning on sticking to my budget next month, unlike this month :(.
    Mortgage overpayments 2022 £13
  • Just doing my freezer inventory, and have come across some UMOs (unidentified meat objects). I'm not entirely sure how old they are, maybe 1 to 2 years? They're wrapped well, not cooked, just bits of meat. Can I still use them, or are they too old? HELP!!!!

Thanks!
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Just doing my freezer inventory, and have come across some UMOs (unidentified meat objects). I'm not entirely sure how old they are, maybe 1 to 2 years? They're wrapped well, not cooked, just bits of meat. Can I still use them, or are they too old? HELP!!!!

Thanks!
    PG x

Thats just really made me laugh!! UMOs!!
    I can see myself saying to the kids that we have UMOs for tea tonight!! Wonder what response i would get??!! :rotfl:

Not that i think its the correct food police answer but personally i would defrost and cook. If they look wrong - bin em. If they look/smell ok - eat em.

Txx
    £365 in 365 days Dec10-Dec11 Member #36 £92/365.
    Member of the Thrifty Gifty - Money making and Organised for Christmas 2011 boards
    Grocery Challenge Jan £337.17/£400
    Feb £374.24/£250:o March £27.04/£300
  • edited 26 January 2011 at 10:04PM
    MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 Posts
    edited 26 January 2011 at 10:04PM
    Just doing my freezer inventory, and have come across some UMOs (unidentified meat objects). I'm not entirely sure how old they are, maybe 1 to 2 years? They're wrapped well, not cooked, just bits of meat. Can I still use them, or are they too old? HELP!!!!

Thanks!
    PG x

Thats what I'm doing right now, I've got two freezers, moving stuff around to make sure the older stuff gets eaten first. and to make space for a Donald Russell order thats due 25th Feb.
    I found a few UFO's as well. Not quite sure what to do with them either.

I started using those re-sealable freezer bags I date the item and write what's in the bag now. That makes a BIG difference. Especially since you can pack them flattish depending on what's in it.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • ROTFLMAO! Imeant to write UMO's as well, cant get the vision of bits of meat flying around inside your freezer lol. Kill em and eat em!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Just like to say thankyou to Mothership

M&S here I come :beer:
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • I have the bags too, it's just that whenever I buy new stuff, I think "It's ok, I'll remember what that is and when I froze it!" and clearly, not so much being remembered! Thanks for the advice, can now be added to the inventory!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
  • Hello :) Just a small spend today on whoopsies.......chicken slices £1.11 and trifle 54p. Got a couple of other bits which will come out of Februarys budget as I would not have bought them had they not been whoopsied but too good to miss iykwim x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • Ok, that's me done for the night. I've done the inside freezer and part of the pantry. Soooooooooo much food!!! 78 tins of food and counting, that's only 1 and a 1/2 shelves! Still have to do the rest of the pantry, the cupboard under the stairs and the outside freezer. I'll have a much better idea of what I have then, and will (in theory) be much better at meal planning.

I just have to say (reiterate others really) that this forum is so special. It really helps me to stay focused and tackle little things at a time, no pressure but just the right amount of support. Thanks to everyone for making this such a worthwhile place to visit every day.

PG x
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides