January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 295.3K views

Replies

• minnie2minnie2 Forumite
    513 Posts
    Missus_Aka wrote: »
    minnie2 we usually use about 9 a month so x12 but i always get an extra pack just in case, dh the same so told him i would start buying tesco value if he didnt stop i buy 18 for £3.99 @ home [email protected] i was going to get 18 for £3.59 but the £3.99 was so much softer & i figured i could spend an extra 20p per month instead of using sandpaper

well i dont know what he does with them!! they always go missing!! other night he used two whole rolls to mop up a whole pint of juice he spilt all over the bedroom carpet! argh!! i had to get out of bed and get my cleaning stuff but hed used two by the time i got back upstairs
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • becky170becky170 Forumite
    795 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Another £8.41 spend today. That includes stocking up on nibbles for having people over on saturday. Just got to get some vodka to go with it now :)

Can I be put down for £135 for feb please? I'm planning on sticking to my budget next month, unlike this month :(.
    Mortgage overpayments 2022 £29
  • Just doing my freezer inventory, and have come across some UMOs (unidentified meat objects). I'm not entirely sure how old they are, maybe 1 to 2 years? They're wrapped well, not cooked, just bits of meat. Can I still use them, or are they too old? HELP!!!!

Thanks!
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Just doing my freezer inventory, and have come across some UMOs (unidentified meat objects). I'm not entirely sure how old they are, maybe 1 to 2 years? They're wrapped well, not cooked, just bits of meat. Can I still use them, or are they too old? HELP!!!!

Thanks!
    PG x

Thats just really made me laugh!! UMOs!!
    I can see myself saying to the kids that we have UMOs for tea tonight!! Wonder what response i would get??!! :rotfl:

Not that i think its the correct food police answer but personally i would defrost and cook. If they look wrong - bin em. If they look/smell ok - eat em.

Txx
    £365 in 365 days Dec10-Dec11 Member #36 £92/365.
    Member of the Thrifty Gifty - Money making and Organised for Christmas 2011 boards
    Grocery Challenge Jan £337.17/£400
    Feb £374.24/£250:o March £27.04/£300
  • edited 26 January 2011 at 10:04PM
    MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 26 January 2011 at 10:04PM
    Just doing my freezer inventory, and have come across some UMOs (unidentified meat objects). I'm not entirely sure how old they are, maybe 1 to 2 years? They're wrapped well, not cooked, just bits of meat. Can I still use them, or are they too old? HELP!!!!

Thanks!
    PG x

Thats what I'm doing right now, I've got two freezers, moving stuff around to make sure the older stuff gets eaten first. and to make space for a Donald Russell order thats due 25th Feb.
    I found a few UFO's as well. Not quite sure what to do with them either.

I started using those re-sealable freezer bags I date the item and write what's in the bag now. That makes a BIG difference. Especially since you can pack them flattish depending on what's in it.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 Posts
    Forumite
    ROTFLMAO! Imeant to write UMO's as well, cant get the vision of bits of meat flying around inside your freezer lol. Kill em and eat em!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Just like to say thankyou to Mothership

M&S here I come :beer:
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • I have the bags too, it's just that whenever I buy new stuff, I think "It's ok, I'll remember what that is and when I froze it!" and clearly, not so much being remembered! Thanks for the advice, can now be added to the inventory!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
  • Hello :) Just a small spend today on whoopsies.......chicken slices £1.11 and trifle 54p. Got a couple of other bits which will come out of Februarys budget as I would not have bought them had they not been whoopsied but too good to miss iykwim x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • Ok, that's me done for the night. I've done the inside freezer and part of the pantry. Soooooooooo much food!!! 78 tins of food and counting, that's only 1 and a 1/2 shelves! Still have to do the rest of the pantry, the cupboard under the stairs and the outside freezer. I'll have a much better idea of what I have then, and will (in theory) be much better at meal planning.

I just have to say (reiterate others really) that this forum is so special. It really helps me to stay focused and tackle little things at a time, no pressure but just the right amount of support. Thanks to everyone for making this such a worthwhile place to visit every day.

PG x
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals