IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

parking ticket motorway services

135

Replies

  • sarahg1969sarahg1969 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    laurz121 wrote: »

    If a company puts up signs stating that they give permission for people to park for a certain length of time free of charge but anyone parking up for longer than that does not have permission to park on their private land and will be fined then I see nothing at all with that.

    You might not, but the law does. Your opinion is irrelevant. It is the law that matters.
  • cyclonebri1cyclonebri1 Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laurz121 wrote: »
    Public road that is nothing to do with you at all other than being near your house or a private service station? Not in any way shape or form are the two things alike at all.

    If a company puts up signs stating that they give permission for people to park for a certain length of time free of charge but anyone parking up for longer than that does not have permission to park on their private land and will be fined then I see nothing at all with that.
    Are you are saying, it is morally right to park on private land against the express wishes of the owner?


    It's not "right", but technically you cannot be "fined for it".

    A world of difference as you will will see. :T
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • HammymanHammyman
    9.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt the "offender" caused any hardship to anyone,

    Except the thousands of HGV drivers legally required to take rest breaks yet unable to find parking in MSAs due to none HGV vehicles taking up HGV parking spaces.
  • sarahg1969sarahg1969 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Except the thousands of HGV drivers legally required to take rest breaks yet unable to find parking in MSAs due to none HGV vehicles taking up HGV parking spaces.

    I doubt very much that one vehicle (which may have been an HGV for all we know) caused hardship to thousands of HGV drivers.
  • cyclonebri1cyclonebri1 Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Except the thousands of HGV drivers legally required to take rest breaks yet unable to find parking in MSAs due to none HGV vehicles taking up HGV parking spaces.


    No hammy, maybe the odd law abiding trucker that had to park in the desolate car areas late at night?????????
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Hi all I posted recently about CPplus. I was parked at exeter services off M5. had lots of letters and as per every ones advice, I am just ignoring the letters. I will post copies when I have had them all so you can all see what you get from CP Plus. I think they cover all the parking on the M5 as well as many of the supermarket car parks through out devon, as I have had a run in with them about a year ago when parking at a local somerfield. I wa sdumb then and paid up. Will not fall for that one again.
    Stand firm and stand up for your selves and we can beat these people, just like the ilegal clampers LOL
  • edited 22 August 2010 at 11:57PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 August 2010 at 11:57PM
    gazzebo69 wrote: »
    Not paying it, but just want anyones thoughts on this.
    We haven`t told the hire company yet, but I assume we have a couple of weeks before they send us a nice letter.
    Is it worth telling the hire company, will they be savvy enough to ignore it, or will they pay up and pass the cost onto us.


    If it was your vehicle I would smile and say just ignore the ticket as it's not a real fine. But because it's a leased car, you absolutely MUST check out your car hire t&cs asap! They will almost certainly not be savvy enough to ignore it and I think they could well just pay it, add an admin fee on top and pass the cost onto the hirer.

    Whatever the wording of the t&cs I believe you must write straight to the hire co and tell them NOT to pay a ticket from this company as it is an unenforceable private ticket and not a real parking fine.

    Print off this link in full to send to the Fleet Manager with your letter in case he is unaware of the scam that is the private parking industry:

    http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2009...s-urged/30698/

    Follow up your letter with a phone call, or do it the other way round - call first to alert them to a spurious ticket which you absolutely do not agree to pay (their reaction on the phone should tell you if they understand the scam or would just fall for it!).

    I think if you clearly DO NOT authorise them to make the payment then that clarifies your contract with the hire company from your point of view. Also reassure them that with private tickets, since any alleged contract can only be based on a contract with the driver or trespass by the driver, they are not responsible for the charge at all anyway (unlike with a Council ticket).

    You must be proactive, we have another thread on here where the OP is going to have to take the hire co and the parking co to Small Claims to get his money back as they just went ahead & paid the first spurious notice about the alleged 'offence' that landed on their desk:

    Read zebedee's posts from #1697 onwards

    HTH, do everything in your power now not to end up in zebedee's position.

    I believe that if the hirer writes NOW to the hire company then the contract t&cs are clarified from the hirer's point of view. This may prove useful in that the hirer could then insist on a card chargeback if the hire company subsequently deducted the fake fine plus admin fee (i.e. the CC company 'should' charge it back IMHO).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • anewmananewman Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Whatever the wording of the t&cs I believe you must write straight to the hire co and tell them NOT to pay a ticket from this company as it is an unenforceable private ticket and not a real parking fine.
    Then we're back to whether they would actually read and apply their brains, or do what they're told to do by their employers and the company "rules". As you will have seen in other posts, people often don't like to be told the truth (especially if their hand is in the pot with admin fees etc). Just like the journalists who maintain these charges are "fines" and are "legally enforceable" when challenged and told the truth. Fortunately we know they're entirely wrong, but they can't be convinced otherwise because they're stubborn and ignorant.
  • sandiepsandiep Forumite
    915 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    There are no morals with parking companies.
    There is no legal case to answer.

    Thing is, thousands of people will happily use the services for free. Take a pee, have a sleep, stop to eat their sandwiches/picnics etc that they brought with them. And no probs with that.

    However, as anyone that's ever stopped at a services will know, they take a lot of cleaning, and they're very busy places.

    It is not particularly fair that people that are stopping to use the paying facilities, the resturants, the shops etc, that generate the profits to enable the services to continue in business can't do so because they can't park because of all the people parking for 3 or 4 hours for a kip.

    So, they're not all bad. They don't ban people from bringing own food, they don't charge for the toilet, they don't charge an entrance fee, or charges for kids play facilities, they don't charge everyone on a P&D basis for every minute they're in the car park.

    They just say, if you're staying for more than 2 hours, please pay for parking.

    And thousands of lorry drivers do that every day of the week.

    Doesn't seem that unreasonable to expect car drivers to do the same.:think:
  • lucyluckylucylucky Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    sandiep wrote: »
    Thing is, thousands of people will happily use the services for free. Take a pee, have a sleep, stop to eat their sandwiches/picnics etc that they brought with them. And no probs with that.

    However, as anyone that's ever stopped at a services will know, they take a lot of cleaning, and they're very busy places.

    It is not particularly fair that people that are stopping to use the paying facilities, the resturants, the shops etc, that generate the profits to enable the services to continue in business can't do so because they can't park because of all the people parking for 3 or 4 hours for a kip.

    So, they're not all bad. They don't ban people from bringing own food, they don't charge for the toilet, they don't charge an entrance fee, or charges for kids play facilities, they don't charge everyone on a P&D basis for every minute they're in the car park.

    They just say, if you're staying for more than 2 hours, please pay for parking.

    And thousands of lorry drivers do that every day of the week.

    Doesn't seem that unreasonable to expect car drivers to do the same.:think:

    "They just say, if you're staying for more than 2 hours, please pay for parking."

    No they don't say that at all.

    They say if you stay over 2 hours we will try and steal your money
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides