ISA Confusion

Options
grn.w.nv wrote: »
Just been thinking about this. The idea for me was to use the ISA to save up a deposit for a house. However, if I can't ever withdraw money without losing the ISA's tax free benefits, what's the point in puting money in it?

I'm confused :(

Thought I would post this here in case anyone can help. I had to withdraw £400 from my ISA, which I realise I can't put back in - does this mean that my ISA allowance is now £3200? If so is this forever? (That was the impression I got from the other thread).

If this is case I'm unsure of what to do when I eventually have to withdraw money from an ISA for, say, a house deposit.
Clutter Free Life 2019
31 of 172 items decluttered :D

Comments

• romeshw
    romeshw Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    1) Your ISA allowance is per year, so when you withdraw money it means you've lost that amount from your allowance for that year, it won't affect how much you can put away in future years

2) Interest/capital gains you make on money in an ISA is tax free, so it is a great way to save up money for a house for example. Otherwise you'd probably be paying 20% of any interest you earn if it was just in a savings account.

3) You do lose tax-free benefits on any money you withdraw from an ISA but keep in mind that this is only in respect of interest you earn on it and it is not retrospective.

Hope this helps.
  • whu
    whu Posts: 23,461 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    good post romeshw
    grn - so to be clear you receive the £400 tax free but any interest you earn on it will be subject to 20% tax ie if you make £40 interest gross you will get £32 and if you are a higher rate tax payer you would pay 40% tax ie£16 and get back £24
    so in conclusion even if you have to take some out it is still beneficial to save in an ISA
    Keep the Faith:cool:
  • tiptoe_mouse
    tiptoe_mouse Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    grn.w.nv wrote: »
    Thought I would post this here in case anyone can help. I had to withdraw £400 from my ISA, which I realise I can't put back in - does this mean that my ISA allowance is now £3200? If so is this forever? (That was the impression I got from the other thread).

If this is case I'm unsure of what to do when I eventually have to withdraw money from an ISA for, say, a house deposit.

In the case above, your ISA allowance for this tax year would only fall to £3200 if you had already put £400 in during the present tax year. This would apply whether you withdraw it or not. The point is that withdrawals do not increase the amount you can deposit. It is possible to have used up all your allowance and have a zero balance.

In any case, in the following tax year you would again be allowed to deposit up to £3600.

HTH
    Tiptoe
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whu wrote: »
    good post romeshw
    grn - so to be clear you receive the £400 tax free but any interest you earn on it will be subject to 20% tax ie if you make £40 interest gross you will get £32 and if you are a higher rate tax payer you would pay 40% tax ie£16 and get back £24
    so in conclusion even if you have to take some out it is still beneficial to save in an ISA

It's worth bearing in mind that the 10% tax band still exists for savings interest.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Rose_Crow
    Rose_Crow Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone, brilliant answers, all is clear now :-)
    Clutter Free Life 2019
    31 of 172 items decluttered :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family