We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit report - Which one? £2 or £10?

Options
Is the statutory report (£2) from credit agencies sufficient to determine if there has been ID Fraud or do we need to buy the £10 one?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    £2 reports are enough - but it is better to get them from all 3 CRAs.
  • Cerbera_2
    Cerbera_2 Posts: 1,317 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with grumbler and would like to add this from Reaper:
    Reaper wrote:
    For £2 you get every scrap of information the CRAs hold on you including explanations of any codes used so that you can understand it. You will get no extra data by spending more money, instead what they offer are interpretations. They may point out things on your report that are likely to help or hinder your rating. They may also give you a credit score. However all interpretations and scores have to be taken with a pinch of salt because the lenders prefer to take the raw data and make their own minds up what score to give you (the exact formulas are kept very secret as they all think they have a better system than their competitors!).

Personally I have only ever gone for the £2 reports but it's a matter of personal preference.
    :beer:
    NCFC Member #00012 :cool:
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Couldn't have put it better myself ;)
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Go for the £2 reports. Experian and Equifax allow you to apply for them online, but for CallCredit you need to do it by post.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • paysa_2
    paysa_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice
    Just ordered my report from Experian.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income