We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is there a difference between Mastercard and Visa?

Options
Probably a dumb question, but curious.

Which one would you go for Mastercard or Visa?

Comments

• GlennTheBaker
    GlennTheBaker Posts: 2,974 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think there's really anything to choose between them. I haven't come across a retailer that will accept one and not the other.
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mastercard or Visa ? whats the difference thread with further links inside.
    Which one would you go for Mastercard or Visa?
    When I go for a card, there is no difference for me whether it is Visa or Mastercard. There are more important features to consider.
  • Chris357
    Chris357 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Visa is more widely accepted in Europe, while Mastercard is more widely accepted in America. Otherwise, the differences between them are insignificant.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I've got one of each and there is no difference.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there is any difference in them it will affect the retailer and not the card holder.

Visa only has a greater benefit for the cardholder when it is on a debit card as it is my understanding that they provide you with some sort of recourse if things go wrong.

I've always, except once, gone for Visa, but that's just me. It doesn't matter really.
  • JamesUK_3
    JamesUK_3 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Personally after working in a retail/accounts enviroment, I would always go for VISA over Mastercard.

Every so often we get a phone call from a customer who are annoyed, p*&^ed off and angry that we have taken TWO of the same transaction from their card. After I ring our card merchants (Barclycard Business), they ALWAYS tell me that we have taken only one transaction and the customer should contact their card company.

It is ALWAYS a matercard that this happens on. Obviously i cant say 100% that they always get solved 'internally' at mastercard, but i've never had a customer come back to me chasing a refund for their £3000+ transaction!

[blah blah blah..personal opinion... blah blah...]
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Chris357 wrote:
    Visa is more widely accepted in Europe, while Mastercard is more widely accepted in America. Otherwise, the differences between them are insignificant.

I disagree with regards to acceptence levels in the USA. Visa and Mastercard are equal. It is the same here as well as we have the highest number of credit cards outside of the USA. In continental Europe acceptence levels of credit cards are lower than both the UK and US.
  • Niteflyer
    Niteflyer Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    Chris357 wrote:

I lived in NY for a while anfd I honestly don't remember ever seeing a retailer that accepted Mastercard and NOT visa.

;)
    "I Assume I Need No Introduction"
  • JoseChungsDoomsday
    Options
    When I was on holiday in florida last month a LOT of places had signs saying 'mastercard prefered' (in the amusement parks you'd also got some freebies for using one), and in restruants when getting the bill a lot of the cases would state mastercard preferred on the front of them. But that said my nationwide visa worked fine. Next time i go I'll be bringing that and my lombard card with me just to make sure!
    :santa2:
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was on holiday in florida last month a LOT of places had signs saying 'mastercard prefered' (in the amusement parks you'd also got some freebies for using one), and in restruants when getting the bill a lot of the cases would state mastercard preferred on the front of them. But that said my nationwide visa worked fine. Next time i go I'll be bringing that and my lombard card with me just to make sure!

Yep,
    Although as stated in my post above America is the land of the credit card. Visa, Mastercard Amex and Discover cards are widely accepted across America. When you see a sign saying Mastercard or Visa preferred it is because they have paid to either put a sign up or distribute literature with the sign on. It bares no relation to wether they accept one card over another. It is just a marketing thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure