Storage/Panel Heaters

Options
I apologise now if this question has already been asked and answered but I'm struggling to find existing threads that might help.

I am about to move into a 2 bed 2nd floor flat that is currently heated by storage heaters that I can only assume were installed when the building was built in 1994.

Obviously since then there are more cost effective ways to heat rooms but as this is my first home and I am just starting out I must admit I do not know where to start.

I am wondering if I might be better to remove the storage heaters and replace them with electric panel heaters but I don't know what sort of panel heater to go for if I do.

Can anyone offer any assistance please?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

There are in fact a few threads on this subject.

The first and most important point is that storage heaters are much cheaper to run than panel heaters.

This is because they store(as the name would suggest!) heat from electricity which is available at about one third of the price of daytime electricity - Economy 7.

In fact your statement "Obviously since then there are more cost effective ways to heat rooms" is incorrect. Essentially electrical heating that your Great Grandmother used is just as cost effective as modern electrical heating.

Modern storage heaters might retain their heat better these days, but all electrical heating is 100% efficient, in that they all produce the same heat output for the same cost.

Storage heaters do have drawbacks, mainly that they tend to 'leak' heat during the day - but they are undoubtedly cheaper than panel heating.

I suggest you may be better off initially seeing how you get on with storage heating before you change anything.

Whatever you do, don't be fooled by these adverts for fancy electrical heating systems - all electrical heating produces the same heat for the electrical input(££££s).
  • Clio_10
    Options
    Cheers for the info Cardew! You've certainly given me something to think about. Have decided to see how I get on with the storage heaters first and then decide what to do if necessary.

Hoping that as the flat is on the second floor, I might not need to much heating as heat rises and the flats below might just heat mine for me!

However, will be buying a few thick pairs of socks, just in case! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport