UPS/Dell delivery

Options
Ok, so I order a laptop from Dell - their webste says they will ring before delivering.

Without calling UPS try to deliver the laptop today (at 1.30) but no-one is in and they leave a "you weren't in" note :o

The note says they will try deliver tommorrow at "around the same time" (you think they'd figure if no-one is in at 1.30 on a Thursday, they won't be in at 1.30 on a Friday either :confused: )

My mum gets home, finds the note and rings - they are aware that Dell wrongly tell people they ring first, when they never do (and they are generally annoyed at Dell for this).

She requests they deliver tommorrow before 12 (not an unreasonable request I think) - they can't do that :mad:

So, UPS are coming again tomorrow (at 1.30, when no-one is in). :confused:

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    Well it sounds like you should let Dell know what you think of them! It also sounds like UPS cant help it if Dell say they will ring before they come.

With regards to delivering before 12 not being unreasonable, UPS cant just alter their rounds to fit your delivery in
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hjb123 wrote:
    Well it sounds like you should let Dell know what you think of them! It also sounds like UPS cant help it if Dell say they will ring before they come.
    I know UPS can't help it - I sympathise with them. The impression I got is that their call centre get quite a lot of calls from people who were under the impression they would be called first because Dell have told them that - which is what I was annoyed at.
    hjb123 wrote:
    With regards to delivering before 12 not being unreasonable, UPS cant just alter their rounds to fit your delivery in
    No, but they have told us they are going to come tomorrow at 1.30, even though we have told them there will be no-one in! That doesn't smack of efficiency to me. Many people work 9-5 every day, but there will be someone at home in our house all of tomorrow morning, all weekend and all of Monday - so we are comparatively easy to deliver to.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not ask them to deliver on Monday?

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • wobbley
    wobbley Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Part of the reason UPS are not able to change their routes to accomodate so called 'inconvenient' customer requests is that they try cram as many deliveries/collections on their vans as possible. As you are getting a delivery and not sending it, I'm afraid you are not really regarded as a 'paying customer' just a 'consignee'. So all they do is stick to their rules,- attempt delivery twice, leave cards then send it back to the consignor. If their usual delivery time in your area is not convenient to you then it's up to you to arrange either a neighbour to take it or collect it from the (maybe) local UPS office. It may sound harsh but it's the only way they can offer such cheap price to companies like Dell. I'm sure part of the reason you chose a Dell was the competitive price. And they can only offer such prices by keeping their costs to a minimun, which means using the cheapest courier service. It is a bit of a lottery as to whether your UPS driver is in a good mood and considerate or a total 'jobsworth' and has a hangover, also if you live in a rural area it is more likely his 'route' involves larger mileages and it's not as easy to get back to deliver at your preffered time rather than his. If you live in a big city it's easier to go 'off route' and deliver out of normal times. Bear in mind though that many of the UPS drivers have more than a hundred deliveries and collections to do in a day so a refusal may mean that simply it's not possible rather than they are being awkward.
    As many MSE member will testify "You get what you pay for" and if you buy a cheap (well cheaper than others) laptop you get a cheap deliver service. By all means tell Dell what you think of UPS but as they have been using them for years I doubt it will carry much weight.
    Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
  • wobbley
    wobbley Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After realising that you're called "Gizmoleeds" (I know I should have looked in the first place !) I think it's fairly safe to assume you live in Leeds ? If so, your local UPS office is Dewsbury, but there are usually at least six UPS drivers covering the main Leeds area so forget what I said about busy routes etc. earlier. They should easily be able to deliver at an alternate time to suit you.
    Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wobbley wrote:
    After realising that you're called "Gizmoleeds" (I know I should have looked in the first place !) I think it's fairly safe to assume you live in Leeds ? If so, your local UPS office is Dewsbury, but there are usually at least six UPS drivers covering the main Leeds area so forget what I said about busy routes etc. earlier. They should easily be able to deliver at an alternate time to suit you.
    Thanks for your replies, but they've now sunk to a new low, in such a big way I thought a new thread is in order:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=968857#post968857
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport