We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Now UPS have LOST MY LAPTOP

Options
This was the original for of the opening post here (the tread was originally called "Now UPS have LOST MY LAPTOP):
Those of you who read this board a lot may have noticed my recent thread on the inconvenience UPS caused me (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=968754) - now, that seems like pretty petty stuff really, as they have only gone and lost my shiney new Inspiron laptop. :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

Not only this, but they didn't even have the courtesy to ring and tell me (despite the fact we made sure there was someone at home all of yesterday to collect it (we missed it on Thursday as Dell told us they would call first)).

Basically, we rang them this morning to complain a bit at the inconvenience they'd caused us and make sure they would deliver it on Monday (when there will be someone at home all day anyway) or collect it from their Dewsbury depot - and the guy says that they don't know where it is, they've "put a trace out" on it, and that I should call Dell and get them to "send out a replacement" (this is a bespoke £700 laptop we're talking about)! :mad: :mad:

I tried ringing their (Dell) customer support, but got a message to ring back Monday. Have now sent an email to them detailing what has happened, and politely requesting compensation for the inconvenience that this has, and will, cause me. :o
For historical purposes it can stay, but as they have both now rapidly improved their service I am no longer wishing to leave a thread complaining about them.

Comments

• CrazyChemist_2
    Options
    Oh dear - I think you should just contact Dell and mention this to them as the laptop is still under their responsibility as you haven't yet signed for the goods. Ask them for compensation and see what happens.

I ordered an Inspiron 6000 a week ago and it did turn up on time - I did have to wait all day for it but it was worth it! :D

DO hope your laptop turns up soon because the Inspiron seems a good laptop on first experiences :)
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gizmoleeds wrote:
    or collect it from their Dewsbury depot

I don't believe that Dell allow items to be collected from their couriers. Too much fraud.
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh dear - I think you should just contact Dell and mention this to them as the laptop is still under their responsibility as you haven't yet signed for the goods. Ask them for compensation and see what happens.

I ordered an Inspiron 6000 a week ago and it did turn up on time - I did have to wait all day for it but it was worth it! :D

DO hope your laptop turns up soon because the Inspiron seems a good laptop on first experiences :)
    Sorry, I was referring to Dell in the last paragraph (edited now for clarity):
    gizmoleeds wrote:
    I tried ringing their customer support, but got a message to ring back Monday. Have now sent an email to them detailing what has happened, and politely requesting compensation for the inconvenience that thie has, and will, cause me. :o
    Legally, I know that there is no conceivable way that Dell could not replace the laptop (or refund me) as the goods are their responsibility until delivered. I am not too worried about this either.

What annoys me is the attitude of UPS - that I should contact Dell and arrange for a replacement (I mean it is their fault, and they will probably have better contact numbers for Dell than me); and the fact that they didn't bother trying to contact me on Friday (when there were people waiting for it). If I was running a delivery service and I lost a £700 package sent by one of my largest customers (which I assume Dell is) then I would be head over heels trying to deal with it.

I feel kind of guilty requesting compensation from Dell (but I did) as it is not their fault; but I just want my laptop, and it is no longer convenient to have someone at home to collect it, so I will have to take a day's annual leave. :mad:
  • CrazyChemist_2
    Options
    gizmoleeds wrote:
    I feel kind of guilty requesting compensation from Dell (but I did) as it is not their fault; but I just want my laptop, and it is no longer convenient to have someone at home to collect it, so I will have to take a day's annual leave. :mad:

Don't feel guilty about asking Dell for a replacement - they'll just make UPS pay for it if it's gone missing while in their care! Forget feelings of guilt when it comes to multi-national companies such as Dell - remember that this is what Moneysavingexpert.com is all about! :D

Also, don't use their premium rate rip-off 0870 numbers, use 01344 860456 and they'll put you through to the CS dept. And when through, ask for a call back as I found them extremely willing to call me back when I had a query regarding my order.
  • gizmoleeds
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't feel guilty about asking Dell for a replacement - they'll just make UPS pay for it if it's gone missing while in their care! Forget feelings of guilt when it comes to multi-national companies such as Dell - remember that this is what Moneysavingexpert.com is all about! :D
    I don't feel guilty about asking for a replacement - I'm after compensation for the inconvenience as well! (Which is a legitimate request, even if it isn't their fault).
    Also, don't use their premium rate rip-off 0870 numbers, use 01344 860456 and they'll put you through to the CS dept. And when through, ask for a call back as I found them extremely willing to call me back when I had a query regarding my order.
    I used 01344 860456 for the first call, but it just said call back on Monday. I later realised that the 0870 might have a different message - I called that and it went through an automated process, but when I put in the order number it tells me to contact the carrier as they have shipped the item!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Couriers lose parcels all the time, especially expensive technology type items. As you have bought direct from Dell there is no middle man to sort it out, you will have to take responsibility for reporting that you haven't received it. The reason Dell can undercut most UK resellers is because they don't offer anything like the same level of support when things go wrong. You get what you pay for ....
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • gizmoleeds
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nearlyrich wrote:
    Couriers lose parcels all the time, especially expensive technology type items. As you have bought direct from Dell there is no middle man to sort it out, you will have to take responsibility for reporting that you haven't received it. The reason Dell can undercut most UK resellers is because they don't offer anything like the same level of support when things go wrong. You get what you pay for ....
    Don't worry - I ordered on a credit card, so if Dell did kick up a fuss I can turn to them. Nethertheless, I am so far being optomistic about what Dell's response will be - some people give bad reports about their customer service, but they regularly win customer satisfaction surveys so this can't always be the case.

Also, UPS have a very sophisticated tracking system (which can can tell me, for example, that it arrived at 2.46am on Thursday at East Midlands Airport etc.) - they cannot possibly argue that it is anyone's fault but their own and so should refund Dell if they never find the item (at the end of the day, I doubt they wouldn't for a customer like Dell who will probably send millions of pounds of business their way annualy).

Not having a middle man is IMO a good thing, as they can't pass the buck between each other. I deal with Dell - they are the retailer and manufacturer and cannot pass the buck to someone else (except perhaps UPS, but UPS have an incentive to be co-operative with Dell - if they continually lose packages and didn't refund Dell then Dell would soon take their business elsewhere).
  • gizmoleeds
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Okay, so a lot has happened this morning. Over the weekend there was very little do do except sit here being mad (As I only discovered the problem Saturday), but by 9am this morning wheels were already turning.

Firstly, a much more helpful person from UPS has expalined what happened to the laptop - it was not lost, it has been stolen (you may be wondering how this is better, but stay with me here). They are currently in possesion of an empty box, which is why they are not going to deliver it. Whether it was taken by someone at Dell or UPS I don't know, but both companies are dealing with it as professionally as you could expect, so I am not going to hold this against them.

Dell are sending another one out immediately, although there has been no mention of compensation yet (just a few freebies would be nice :rolleyes: ).

Anyway, both companies have been very easy to contact and are doing everything I would expect, so I am no longer mad at them.

I would recommend both companies wholeheartedly now (weird really!). :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family