Dental treatments on the NHS for job seekers?

Options
124»

Comments

• Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    alison999 wrote: »
    so you dont visit the doctors or use hospital facilities then? if not, then you're very lucky!

In that the NHS covers Dental treatments which is what the thread is about , and I cannot get dental treatment on the NHS.

Looking back the last time I was in hospital was for the Birth of my Daughter 4 years ago - and strictly speaking that's my Wife's "treatment"! ;-) paid for by her contributions. Time before that was when I broke a leg as a child.
    Doctors must be 10+ years ago and that was only to get prescription pain killers for back pain (Which I had to pay for)

I know how it all works and I'm not just paying for my "use" it's for the Nation, but it's damn annoying having to 'pay' again for treatments which are supposed to be on the NHS while you see others using it for cosmetic purposes.
    I also appreciate my health could and probably will take a turn for the worse and I'll need to depend on the NHS.

but anyway....
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Viper_7,

Why can't you get dental treatment on the NHS? Is your moan that there are no NHS dentists available in your area?

Your argument that the birth of your daughter was actually your wife's treatment is pretty weak. I take it your daughter was conceived by divine intervention? :rolleyes:

Cosmetic dentistry is not available on the NHS, except in certain circumstances (such as extreme trauma, or psychological reasons).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    The wife's contribution bit was a joke, hence the little smiley face.

No can't get an NHS dentist around here, I'm on the list but those on income support are always above me, so I'll never ever get to the top. Which is why originally I said 30 years paying in and getting nothing out.

Re cosmetic surgery, was suffering to boob jobs/IVF and the like.
  • bagpuss1958
    Options
    I am claiming Contribution Based JSA - does anybody know if I would be entitled to free dental treatment
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    desi_uk wrote: »
    what if you have a bit less than 16k would it still be the same?

I don't get this - surely if one has 'a bit less' than £16k then that person can afford dental treatment. Do we have another person that is looking for something for nothing instead of paying for treatment they can comfortably afford?
  • oldmotherreilly
    Options
    To clarify-if you receive JSA(Income Based) which is a means tested benefit you automatically qualify for free NHS treatment, including necessary dental treatment. If you are receiving JSA(Contributions based) or just your national insurance credit you will not automatically qualify but you may still be entitled to free treatment-you would need to apply on the basis of a low income. This is taken from the direct gov site:
    Low income?

People who have to pay NHS charges may be able to get help under the NHS Low Income Scheme. The amount of help is based on a comparison between a person's income and requirements at the time that a claim is made or a charge was paid. This is taken from the directgov site:
    <H3>Help if you're on a low income</H3><H4>NHS Low Income Scheme

If none of the above apply and you're on a low income you may be able to get help with costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme.
    The amount of help you get will depend on the amount of income you have, but you may not be entitled to any help if your savings are above the limits shown below.
    You can't get help if:
    • you live permanently in a care home and have £22,250 in property, savings or other money
    • you, or your partner or civil partner together have £16,000 in property (excluding the place where you live), savings or other money
    How to claim

You'll need to complete form HC1 from a Jobcentre Plus office or NHS hospital. You may also be able to get an HC1 from your doctor, dentist or optician.
    You can also get an HC1 by contacting the NHS Forms order line on 0845 610 1112 or by email at the following address:
    [EMAIL="nhsforms&#64;spsl.uk.com"]nhsforms@spsl.uk.com[/EMAIL]
    For more information about how to claim, please contact the Health Cost advice line on 0845 850 1166.

</H4>
  • onlyforboards_2
    Options
    Viper_7 wrote: »
    T

No can't get an NHS dentist around here, I'm on the list but those on income support are always above me

No NHS dentists were taking on here for ages either. :eek:

Do those on income support really jump the queue?
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No they don't - chalk that up to another 'urban myth' that soemone down the pub heard form the guy who recycles the rubbish for the dinner lady in the canteen / sandwich shop where the PCT staff go for lunch.

If there's no dentist in yoru immediate area, have you considered travelling to the next area? If you put in yout postcode on https://www.nhs.uk it shows the nearest dental practices - can you not do a day trip or travel for about 1/2 hour if you're not currently at work full time?

Have you contacted your local PALS at the PCT to ask about what the waiting list process is in your area and how long it would be to get to the top of the list? If the list is too long ask them about the PALS numbers for neighbouring trusts and you can then find out about the dental situations there.

Where are you based?
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure