Dental treatments on the NHS for job seekers?

Options

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    desi_uk wrote: »
    whats the difference between income based and contribution based, so if you are entitled to free dental care you will have some kind of book?

Contributions based is awarded if you have paid sufficient NI Contributions, and is only awarded for six months.

Income based is awarded if you do not qualify for CB, or once CB has run out. It is only available if your capital is below a certain amount.

From what you have said, your capital is deemed to be too high. Therefore you would not be entitled to JSA.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    so does the job centre decide wether you are income based etc sorry im new to all this

surely it should say on any documents you have? ive never been on jsa (either of them) so i dont know
  • alison999
    Options
    fillings are treatments that you need if you have a few small holes in your teeth?

usually, yes;)
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    fillings are treatments that you need if you have a few small holes in your teeth?

I think alison999 was saying that you will only get treatment that is clinically necessary, and for fillings you'll only get the nasty old silver ones, not nice white ones (unless they are in a visible position).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • desi_uk
    desi_uk Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Contributions based is awarded if you have paid sufficient NI Contributions, and is only awarded for six months.

Income based is awarded if you do not qualify for CB, or once CB has run out. It is only available if your capital is below a certain amount.

From what you have said, your capital is deemed to be too high. Therefore you would not be entitled to JSA.
    therefore not entitled to any free dental treatments, i get you thanks for your help
  • desi_uk
    desi_uk Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I think alison999 was saying that you will only get treatment that is clinically necessary, and for fillings you'll only get the nasty old silver ones, not nice white ones (unless they are in a visible position).
    i heard the silver ones are better coz they last longer lol
  • alison999
    Options

true, in some cases but not all
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

The white metal (amalgam) fillings contain mercury. When I need a filling, I always ask (and pay for) the white filling - against the advice of my dentist who tells me they don't last so long.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The white metal (amalgam) fillings contain mercury. When I need a filling, I always ask (and pay for) the white filling - against the advice of my dentist who tells me they don't last so long.

Wheras the white ones only contain Bisphenol - which is the chemical that caused such a stir in Canada recently and got plastic baby bottles withdrawn!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure