CAPITAL ONE CARD-Sharp Practice........

Options
nnnnnnnllllllll :mad:

I have just completed my letter to Capital One but felt I would advise other moneysavers of the sharp practice I was subjected to just yesterday.
I had applied for their card to avail of a 0% Balance Transfer, that was fine and all worked out swimmingly........... :T then I paid off in total the last statement to clear the account and finish with the card. Unfortunately didn't realise the following month their was an interest charge of £1.32 added and as I thought I had cleared the card in full, didn't even open the statement until this month when the statement came I got it out to phone and cancel the card to find they had charged me a late payment fee of £20 for not paying off the £1.32.........I really couldn't believe it! Anyway to cut a long story short I rang them and of couse its a call centre in New Delhi where the "Account Manager" is reading from a script, and when I requested to speak to his Manager was told I couldn't until I had settled my account......!!
The whole attitude was appalling. Needless to say I have paid in full and over the odds just in case their is some more hidden intersest for this month!!
Has anyone else had any problems, its obviously a no go area to negotiate with them a better interest rate.!

Comments

• Stonk
    Stonk Posts: 937 Forumite
    Options
    karkar wrote:
    I have just completed my letter to Capital One but felt I would advise other moneysavers of the sharp practice I was subjected to just yesterday. ...

YOU failed to pay what YOU owed under the agreement that YOU signed, and they charged LEGITIMATELY charged you a fee according to terms & conditions and a tariff that YOU knew about.

There is no "sharp practice" here.

Having been caught out - as you freely admit when you say you didn't bother to open the statement - you then have the utter cheek to whinge about it and libel Capital One! Honestly ...
  • Cerbera_2
    Cerbera_2 Posts: 1,317 Forumite
    Options
    Anyway...

Welcome to MSE :hello:
    NCFC Member #00012 :cool:
  • greenwich
    greenwich Posts: 8,044 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, welcome. If you do a search you will find hundreds of postings (many from me!) on the subject of unfair fees and your legal rights.
    Eh?? I give up!! Towel is getting thrown in here! :D
  • Turning_into_scrooge
    Options
    Stonk wrote:
    YOU failed to pay what YOU owed under the agreement that YOU signed, and they charged LEGITIMATELY charged you a fee according to terms & conditions and a tariff that YOU knew about.

There is no "sharp practice" here.

Having been caught out - as you freely admit when you say you didn't bother to open the statement - you then have the utter cheek to whinge about it and libel Capital One! Honestly ...

Bit harsh Stonk especially for a new person
  • LizzieT84
    Options
    Stonk... you're a plonk.

I have experienced the utterly dreadful customer relations from Capital One. Trying to explain basic principles to someone that doesn't speak English and can't add up and is extremely rude and then refuses to let you speak to a superior is very frustrating. Cut up your Capital One card and get a Barclaycard. Just their online account management site is 100 times better alone.

Lizzie
  • dave49
    dave49 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I too was stung by this outfit, they give less free months than they advertise see other threads about this!
  • Rickycowslip
    Options
    if you paid off the card in full on time where did the £1.32 come from ? could you have mixed BTs and Payments, the ultimate crime when stoozing ?
    am I missing something ??
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if you paid off the card in full on time where did the £1.32 come from ? could you have mixed BTs and Payments, the ultimate crime when stoozing ?
    No, it sounds like the problem here is simply that the 0% end date did not coincide with the payment due date. If you think about it, you have a 1 in 31 chance of hitting this date when they set your statement date upon account activation. The charge made is for the interest incurred between the end of 0% date and the date the account was settled. The OP may also find that there is another "small" interest charge payable the following month.

The deals normally state "0% for 9 months from the date the account is opened". Sometimes, they will state "until 1st Jan-07" or "until 1st June-06" like the current Capital One and Mint deals respectively.

At the end of the day, the best approach with these deals is to ask the provider for the exact 0% end date when activating the card. Better still is to send them a secure message from the "your account" section of their website, as this way you have it in writing.
  • Stonk
    Stonk Posts: 937 Forumite
    Options
    LizzieT84 wrote:
    Stonk... you're a plonk.

Maybe I was a bit harsh - I didn't register that this was a newbie. But I get annoyed by the same old posts on here, time and time again, of people moaning about having to pay some fee that they have incurred through nobody's fault but their own ... blaming the companies for their inability to manage their own finances.

The customer service at CapOne, or lack thereof, is of no relevance whatsoever. The OP incurred interest, didn't pay it, and got fined a late payment fee. It does not even warrant a call to customer services. Me, I would have thought "oh silly me, I broke the T&Cs and got fined", and learned not to do it again.

But of course, these days, it's always someone else's fault isn't it ...
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    LizzieT84 wrote:
    Stonk... you're a plonk.

I have experienced the utterly dreadful customer relations from Capital One. Trying to explain basic principles to someone that doesn't speak English and can't add up and is extremely rude and then refuses to let you speak to a superior is very frustrating. Cut up your Capital One card and get a Barclaycard. Just their online account management site is 100 times better alone.

Lizzie

I find Barclaycard customer services equally appalling. I don't know if they have a foreign call centre but wherever their staff are everything seems like such an effort for them and they're always really grumpy and unhelpful.

At least Capital One have a freefone number to call them on - Barclays is 0870 and the Northampton number on the card just leads to Lost 'n Stolen. And if you're lucky enough to get to Capital One's Nottingham call centre the staff are friendly, bright and helpful.

In my experience.

PS RBS Group cards (MINT, NatWest, Universa, etc. etc.) also have good customer service but 0870 number.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport