How did you become a MoneySaver?

2»

Comments

• edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    How about a 'don't know' option for those of us with poor memories?
  • charlie12
    charlie12 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Came here after finding "Smartass's" T Mobile early contract cancellation loophole, linked to from another forum I frequent. At first I assumed it was a typical forum community but after browsing the forums for a while I realised that there was nothing quite like it on the web! I became hooked, switched card providers, utility and phone companies, and saved (and continue to save) huge amounts of money. I can proudly say that this site has changed my life significantly, for the better of course ;)
  • I was driving to work one afternoon last year when Martin was talking on the Jeremy Vine show,,,,I think it must have been the run up to Xmas and he was talking passionately about how nobody should ever pay full price for Xmas cards and wrapping paper.

Stuff that I already knew but had never really bothered to put into practice, but it was put over in such an enthusiastic way and made so much sense that eventually after hearing him a few more times on radio 2 i decided to investigate this site and Im so glad I did!!

At first like most I just lurked , reading up on everything that interested me and making mental notes on what I could actually put into practice.

Now Im a keen voucher finder (and occassional poster ;) ) and save a packet on my weekly shop and this site is just brilliant at keeping us all up to date on what's out there........whats a good deal and if not ....where to get a better one!

Keep up the good work!! :T
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • My OH told me about the site, I think he had heard of it via Talksport, he wanted to buy something and there was a recommendation on here for a cheap one of whatever it was. Came to have a look, discovered Old Style and became an addict.
    I have always been fascinated by how other people spend their money, Im basically really nosey. I love programmes like Alvin Hall and I've got loads of books like "The Tightwad Gazette" I love this book. I always wonder how other people can afford to buy things, do they pay cash or are they in debt, Im so nosey I want to know!
    The only area I felt we overspent a little was on food, but I didnt really know how to chop it down. Apart from that I was a little smug as we have no debt apart from the mortgage, never had an overdraft or a loan, pay cash for cars etc, I thought we were doing really well. Since discovered this site Ive realized we are not doing well at all.
    We could do so much better, I want some savings, and I want to pay off the mortgage ASAP. The mortgage statement is now on the fridge where we can see it Ive organized to overpay every month, just abit but its a start, and Im working on the savings.
    But most of all I love that Im not the only wierdo! There are others out there who are like me! I love this site.
  • Below are the results to our previous poll. Thanks to the 3360 participants who took part in this poll.

Previous Poll Topic: Poll started 4 October 2005: How did you become a MoneySaver? A simple vote, just for fun, to find out what brought you here the first time.

Q. Friend's recommendation 34.4% - (1157 Votes)
    C. Radio 2 29.5% - (993 Votes)
    A. ITV 1's This Morning 5.3% - (181 Votes)
    O. Web Search 5.1% - (173 Votes)
    P. Another site's chat forum link 4.4% - (150 Votes)
    N. Other newspaper/magazine 3.9% - (132 Votes)
    E. Radio 5 3.9% - (132 Votes)
    F. Talk Sport 2.6% - (90 Votes)
    R. Other other 2.4% - (83 Votes)
    J. The Money Diet Book 1.5% - (53 Votes)
    D. Radio 4 1.5% - (53 Votes)
    L. Other TV Programme 1.3% - (44 Votes)
    G. The Guardian 1.3% - (44 Votes)
    B. ITV 1's Tonight with Trevor McDonald 0.6% - (22 Votes)
    M. Other Radio Programme 0.5% - (19 Votes)
    H. The Sunday Express 0.5% - (19 Votes)
    K. Yahoo Money 0.1% - (6 Votes)
    I. Bella 0.1% - (5 Votes)

Total Votes: 3360
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • urban_spirit
    urban_spirit Posts: 1,834 Forumite
    I saw Martin on Channel 5's 'The Wright Stuff' earlier on this year. I was impressed that he was telling us how to AVOID companies making money out of us. I looked up The Wright Stuff website to get Martins details, and it didn't take me long to realise how fab this site is. I couldn't imagine surfing without coming here now(....and staying on here, posting for waaaaaay too longicon12.gif)
    A Fendi Baguette is not a sandwich.....
    BB B*tch no4 Today I will be mostly listeneing to: Puressence
    Not all disabilities are visible

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills