NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

How did you become a MoneySaver?

Poll Title: Poll started 4 October 2005: How did you become a MoneySaver? A simple vote, just for fun, to find out what brought you here the first time.

A. ITV 1's This Morning
B. ITV 1's Tonight with Trevor McDonald
C. Radio 2
D. Radio 4
E. Radio 5
F. Talk Sport
G. The Guardian
H. The Sunday Express
I. Bella
J. The Money Diet Book
K. Yahoo Money
L. Other TV Programme
M. Other Radio Programme
N. Other newspaper/magazine
O. Web Search
P. Another site's chat forum link
Q. Friend's recommendation
R. Other other

Click reply to discuss or vote here.

Replies

• Oh! That was exciting! I'm the first voter! (What a dull life I lead!)

I started money saving when I spotted the tightwad gazette on my friend's book shelf. I got a copy and was doing quite well. Then the same friend recommended this site and my life has totally turned around. It's the forum that works for me. It's good to bounce ideas around with people and speak to other people with similar goals and outlook.

We went from 2 salaries to 1 when I got pregnant with our son and now, not only do we not miss the extra money any more, but we are saving more and making better use of our money than ever before. We even managed to buy a new car outright which I never imagined we could.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • AllexieAllexie Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    I vaguely remember Martin doing something on 'This Morning' which led me to my current ISP (:T ). Then much later on a friend, (she knows who she is :rolleyes: ), introduced me to the site. Still haven't forgiven her as I would like my life back please.....
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• NileNile Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've just voted for the BBC Radio 2 option.

I first heard about MoneySaving and Martin via the Jeremy Vine show. I was captivated by the man I heard passionately talking about saving money on phoning directory enquiries. Up until then, I didn't know there was a huge difference in costs for simply obtaining a telephone number via directory enquiries. :eek:

I remember thinking 'Good on you, it's about time we had someone speaking up for us in 'rip off Britain' and showing us how to save money.'

I logged onto this site shortly after that programme............from that moment on I was hooked.:o

I always laugh when I see those 118 tv adverts now, there's no way I'd waste my hard earned cash on the premium numbers.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • I came here via the friend route too (yes YOU!)

For a long time I just 'lurked ' and read what was happening. I thought that due to my previous debt-ridden past I was 'cured' but coming on here made me realise that that was rubbish as we still had debt (still do unfortunately but better managed)

Now I try not to miss Martin on with Jeremy Vine and visit the chat forum to keep me on track. I suppose it's like going to an AA meeting for an alcoholic -I may never be completely cured of overspending but I just take one day at a time.This website keeps me heading towards the 'debt-free with savings' person I want to be.

Thank you friend and a HUGE HUG to Martin (ever thought of the job at no.11?!)
  • Bendybops19Bendybops19 Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    My sisters boyfriend told her to tell me (hehe put it like that to confuse you all :D) told me to check out MSE for the freebies section :) Then i started using all the other bits :)
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • RikkiRikki Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    I heard him on radio 2 first.

Didn't go on line till I got a computer in January this year.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Smiley_MumSmiley_Mum Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I had been searching for info on budgeting etc and trying to make cutbacks to save some money. I came across this link and clicked on it, since then I've been hooked. I've saved money as well as made money with the various offers etc from banks and credit card companies. There isn't a day goes by that I don't recommend the site to a few people or ten. Don't know what I'd do without MSE now. Thanks a lot.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    I saw him on This Morning. I didn't catch most of what he said, I was just amazed that someone could say so many words in such a small amount of time :rotfl:
    Bulletproof
  • A colleague emailed me the link to the site after recommending FlightChecker.

I've always been a scrooge at heart though; I was brought up well in a one-reasonable-income family by a stay-at-home mum who was obsessed with budgeting. Also, personally, I've always felt it was important to stick to basics wherever possible to allow decent spending on the things that really matter to you.

For example when I was a student I had income of £3000 p/a, was lucky to have low rent (about £320 per 10-week term IIRC) and no vital out-of-term-time expenses such as rent (lived with parents in hols) or travel (uni was en route between my dad's job and my parents' house so I could get a free lift any weekend I wanted). Also knew it was not practical for me to work during the holidays because it was a choice between living rent-free with my parents (in an area with very few job opportunities) and staying somewhere that I could work while incurring lots of living expenses. But after freshers week when the budget settled down I found it quite easy to live on the money: £3000 = £1000 per term, which was £320 rent, £150 groceries & laundry, £150 pocket money, £80 books, £100 for treats (restaurants, shows, etc). This left £300 left over each term, which became spending money for the holidays (not distributed evenly as summer hols were way longer than the other two). Left uni with no serious debt (about £200 on a credit card, plus a student loan which I took out solely to cover expenses following graduation, so I don't count this as student debt).

For the last 6 years I have chosen to live in London and have a life. I am living in accommodation which would not be my first choice but costs almost nothing; I buy my clothes from charity shops and manage only to spend about £10 a week on food. Consequently my priorities - my social/musical activities (I'm a singer and voluntary opera critic) and my savings - each get around a third of my income. I also know exactly which areas of the "activities" fund I could cut back on if I had to, and still enjoy all the things I do at the moment. (My first job in London paid about £11.5k and I had higher rent then than I do now I'm earning nearly £28k - just like when I was a student, I don't remember ever going without.)

I do feel it's really important to know I have a buffer in the bank, and that I COULD live on next to nothing - it makes my stressful job far less stressful to know that I could afford to resign and live on my savings (which are supposed to be for a deposit on a flat) for a couple of months if it all got too much! I've cleared my small student debts, and I don't intend to get into debt again until I can afford a mortgage. I was just brought up to live within my means, and it's great to find an online community here that feels the same way!!!
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    I used to go to the "Mad about bargains" site and they recommended moneysavingexpert.

I browsed around and lurked for ages then summoned up the courage to post on old style - got a warm welcome and am now hooked - read the signature! lol:j
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event