My Energy use Diary

Options

Comments

• bigpaws23
    bigpaws23 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Options
    Just in case anyone is interested. I've been taking readings using a kill-a-watt on my washing machine.
    Bear in mind that different machines and electricity tarrifs will bring in different amounts, but for us:

cold wash 0.09p
    40 degree wash 7.53p
    60 degree wash 9.58p

It might be helpful for some people to get an idea of their expenses. I'm going to put the killawatt on the bread machine next :)

Regarding a tumble dryer, setmefree; can I ask how many people you are washing for? We are a family of three - one of whom creates heaps of really dirty washing and we manage without a tumble dryer. We have a couple of clothes airers and I tend to leave things out on them overnight during the winter when I can't line dry. They aren't always dry, but they are 80% there by most mornings.

We have no central heating, so I bought a washing machine with a 1600 spin and the clothes come out pretty dry from there.

Can anyone tell me how I might measure the usage of an immersion heater and cooker? I borrowed a friend's OWL monitor but didn't get on with it AT ALL. I found the most important function was missing, which was a cumulative total. Did I just not read the instructions properly?

I'm finding that it's not giving me a proper idea of cost because most electrical things cycle on and off; they are not constant.

Bigpaws x
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Showers do use a lot of water and energy to heat that water. Much more water and energy than you need to get clean.

When our shower was broken, and I didn't want to waste time running a bath, I used a 2 litre plastic jug to wash myself while standing up in the bath. Fill up with some hot and cold at the taps, poured it over myself and then rubbed on some soap and shampoo. 2-3 more times with the jug and all the soap/shampoo was washed off down the drain and I was just as clean as when I showered.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    bigpaws23 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how I might measure the usage of an immersion heater and cooker? I borrowed a friend's OWL monitor but didn't get on with it AT ALL. I found the most important function was missing, which was a cumulative total. Did I just not read the instructions properly?

I'm finding that it's not giving me a proper idea of cost because most electrical things cycle on and off; they are not constant.

Bigpaws x

You are correct that the Owl/Electrisve meters are hopeless for working out the cost of any appliance as they do not have a cumlative function.

There is no accuarte way of working out the consumption of the Immersion and oven.

An immersion is normally 3kW so for every 20 mins it is heating it will use 1kWh. However the only way you can tell if it is heating(and not switched off by its thermostat) is to watch your electricity meter.

It is really the same with your oven/cooker.

You will get a good idea by simply reading the decimal places on your meter and estimating how much 'other' electrict have been used and subtract that.
  • bigpaws23
    bigpaws23 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    You are correct that the Owl/Electrisve meters are hopeless for working out the cost of any appliance as they do not have a cumlative function. [/quote[

Thanks for confirming that, Cardew - surely that is the most important and helpful function anyone would hope to see on one of the monitors?? :rolleyes:
    I just feel like it's a bit of a wowee gimmick item that serves very little useful purpose and is a bit sensationalist.

I don't really care if it costs 76p an hour when my husband is in the shower, the cooker is going and the kettle is on - I want to know how much that shower costs and how much I've spent cooking the chicken!

I think even I, of the electricity meter reading brigade, has better things to do than stand and watch the wheel go around for an hour :D

We' re planning on a tankless water heater next made from an old donated shower from Freecycle, so that should help.

Bigpaws x
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ben84 wrote: »
    Showers do use a lot of water and energy to heat that water. Much more water and energy than you need to get clean.

When our shower was broken, and I didn't want to waste time running a bath, I used a 2 litre plastic jug to wash myself while standing up in the bath. Fill up with some hot and cold at the taps, poured it over myself and then rubbed on some soap and shampoo. 2-3 more times with the jug and all the soap/shampoo was washed off down the drain and I was just as clean as when I showered.

Have you tried a "submariner's shower" - uses no water at all.

Stand in the bath/shower - DO NOT turn the water on - vigourously shake a tin of cheap talc over your head, then use same rubbing actions as if you were wet !

Obviously, a towel is not needed either, so you save on laundry costs too.
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    exlibris wrote: »
    The have dented my TD drum to the point where OH has requested they are not used. They also make a lot of noise.

Oh that's abit of a worry:o I will look out for that. I was wondering if they work better if you use loads of them - but maybe I'll just use 2 first and see how I get on.;)
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just in case anyone is interested. I've been taking readings using a kill-a-watt on my washing machine.
    Bear in mind that different machines and electricity tarrifs will bring in different amounts, but for us:

cold wash 0.09p
    40 degree wash 7.53p
    60 degree wash 9.58p

Thanks for that. It's really interesting. I wonder what the cost difference is between a 30 degree and 40 degree wash?:confused: I do a 90 degree wash once a week, I noticed it put my daily use up alot!:eek::D
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It might be helpful for some people to get an idea of their expenses. I'm going to put the killawatt on the bread machine next :)

Regarding a tumble dryer, setmefree; can I ask how many people you are washing for?

The bread machine will be interesting.

Re tumble drier - we are a family of 4. I line dry as long as possible, usually until the end of November. We don't really have any where we can leave clothes out, so I have to tumble dry them in winter. I think I am going to try and cut down on my washing this winter. I think I probably wash things too much anyway. Alot of the things that I wash are really not very dirty.:rolleyes:
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well this month has really only been 3 weeks!:D However, I have managed to reduce my electricity consumption by a third. :j We usually use 15 kw per day in this quarter and we have averaged 10 kw.

We should have a good month in July as we are going to be away for 10 days on holiday. I am going to try and run down my freezer so we can turn everything off and have 10 nil days.:T

Good Luck everyone.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    quote=setmefree2;12096475]The bread machine will be interesting.

[/quote]

I would be interested to see that, I have just used a "guesstimate" when working out the cost of a loaf.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure