Local Post Office

Options
Arriving home from work last week we find a note from parcel force telling us that they tried to deliver a parcel and that because we weren't home they delievered it to the local post office. The following day my other half goes to the post office with the note and identification to pick it up. The cashier said they that didn't have the parcel and that we should call Parcel Force.
After calling parcel force who confirmed that the parcel was at the post office and was signed for by Sam at 13:21 my other half goes to the Post office again. The cashier again told my OH that they did not have the parcel and that we should call Parcel force. My OH then asked who Sam was and when he was pointed out my OH told them that he was the one that signed for the parcel at 13:21 and they should go and get the parcel. The cashier goes out the back and low and behold returns with the parcel.
While giving my OH the parcel (No ID was asked for) the cashier had to remove the parcels that people had left with the post office to send from the security exchange area, one of these parcels had popped open and while moving them the cashier had a good look in it and put it in the sending sack with the rest of the parcels. When my OH asked if he was going to reseal it he was given with a blank look.

I just can't believe the incompetence of some people and wonder how they stay employed.

Thanks for listening to my vent.

Comments

• daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Upholds my view of what the Post Office is for.

Muppets who aren't capable of getting a decent job - and lazy clueless people who queue up to get their handouts every week.

It's for that reason that I have a rule of never going in one except when sending something large (when I have no choice).
  • Midas
    Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Well at least they left it at your local post office... our lot don't drop stuff of at the local post office when your out, they cart it back to a distribution centre half way across the county instead :mad:

They then expect you to come and pick it up sometime within the 4 hour period that it is open. Useless.
    Midas.
  • Older_but_not_wiser_2
    Options
    daveboy wrote:

Muppets who aren't capable of getting a decent job - and lazy clueless people who queue up to get their handouts every week.

It's for that reason that I have a rule of never going in one except when sending something large (when I have no choice).

I think it's grossly unfair to tar all PO workers with the same brush.

We have 2 POs near us, and you couldn't wish for more knowledgeable and curteous staff.

And perhaps you might be one of those lazy clueless people who queue up to get their handouts one day - there but for the grace of God go you or I.

Oh it must be great being perfect in every way.
    Wha's like us - damn few, an' they're a' deid
    :footie:

Competition wins:-
    July - Magic mince cookbook (first win)
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    OP,

You're right of course, he/she was a muppet. If you had time you should have complained about both issues to the manager.
  • waterbaby
    waterbaby Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    daveboy wrote:

I left work early and raced to the post office, as I got there I was relieved as I was there 7 minutes before closing time, but as I entered, the blind was going down. Despite knocking on the window, there was no reply.

So I sent them a letter setting them straight (very polite) and asking what their 'real' opening hours were. This was a few weeks ago and I have heard nothing at all.

Anybody with any knowledge of customer service knows that you reply to customer's communications. You don't just ignore them.
  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    Options
    Midas wrote:
    Well at least they left it at your local post office... our lot don't drop stuff of at the local post office when your out, they cart it back to a distribution centre half way across the county instead :mad:

They then expect you to come and pick it up sometime within the 4 hour period that it is open. Useless.

When this happens, if you look at the card they put through the door you will see you are given the option of calling and arranging redelivery to your home or any other local address free of charge, or paying a 50p charge to have the parcel brought to your local post office.
    There is no need to make the trip to the distribution office.
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • Kaminari_2
    Options
    I know for some their distribution centre is a long way from home and open silly hours but ours is only a few extra blocks away (one of the few benefits of living in London) and I have yet to have a bad experience with them. They are also open Saturday mornings (when i usually make my way down there). I would have prefered they drop it at the distribution centre.
    The local post office ignores "do not bend" and has managed to jam things so hard through our mail box that credit cards have bent and i have had to have them replaced. I'm not saying that all POs are bad but our leaves a lot to be desired.
  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    Options
    ha..what a coincidence..after posting on this thread today, just went to check mail and they have pushed a card through..very annoying as I was in!
    They must have not even bothered ringing the doorbell.
    I would arrange re delivery, but i know that it's a big parcel of baby clothes and various bits so I'm too excited to wait..hehe..will be off to the distribution centre now!
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    waterbaby wrote:
    I left work early and raced to the post office, as I got there I was relieved as I was there 7 minutes before closing time, but as I entered, the blind was going down. Despite knocking on the window, there was no reply.

Yes, but that happens in lots of places, not just post offices. I made a special trip to town to the Eearly Learning Centre the other day - sign on the day saying they'd closed early due to staff shortages. Before that, the Max Spielman shop had a sign saying they were closed for lunch due to staff shortages. It's all very annoying, granted, but sometimes you can't stay open for all the hours you advertise. If there was only one person in the Post Office, they may have been ill, needed the toilet, had to leave to catch a bus - sometimes things don't go to plan. It is a bit "off" though just to close and not put up a note explaining why.
  • Midas
    Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    starlite wrote:
    When this happens, if you look at the card they put through the door you will see you are given the option of calling and arranging redelivery to your home or any other local address free of charge, or paying a 50p charge to have the parcel brought to your local post office.
    There is no need to make the trip to the distribution office.

Yes this is certainly true of the royal mail, but I aren't sure it is for Parcelforce. And why can't they just take it to the post office in the first place (if you're out?) And why should you have to pay an extra 50p?
    Midas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport