We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Can I use tomato feed for other veg/fruit?

Options

Comments

• ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do also have nitrogen food for my brassicas but wasn't aware of phosphorus for roots, so thanks for that :)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yup you can, I also use it on my roses and clematis!
  • jawa1
    jawa1 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    Van1971 wrote: »
    Yup you can, I also use it on my roses and clematis!

Do not feed during flowering as this will tend to reduce the flowering period on clematis
  • jaquivander
    Options
    great for chillis too
  • Red_Cat
    Red_Cat Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Options
    I use it ot peppers, chillis and aubergines.
    Hoping this year is better than the last. :)
  • leon103
    leon103 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Options
    I use it on everything and they have been reduced in Wilko's recently
    :p
  • vyseyboy
    vyseyboy Posts: 624 Forumite
    Options
    Zazen999 wrote: »
    The only thing that would deteriorate would be the strength; it won't 'go off'.

It should ideally be used for those crops that form fruits or flowers; keep it away from roots and leaves or they will be inclined to go to seed faster. There are different nutrients, the main ones are classes as being for roots, leaves and flowers/fruits.

nitrogen for leaves
    phosphorous for roots
    potassium for flowers/fruits [this is what constitutes the highest proportion of tomato food].

It could "go off." Nitrate salts deteriorate over time (and oxidise whatever they are in contact with i.e. the bath!) I used to go to great lengths to keep my ammonium nitrate dry when I was making fireworks as a young rogue.
    Russia is HERE
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Daft question I know but when you water the plants, with the tomato feed, would you water the soil as normal, or actually on the plant itself. I have been deep watering the soil instead of over the plants themselves.
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Natty68 wrote: »
    Daft question I know but when you water the plants, with the tomato feed, would you water the soil as normal, or actually on the plant itself. I have been deep watering the soil instead of over the plants themselves.

Hi
    You always feed the soil not the plant; the plant is designed to take the nutrients so keep doing what you are doing.
  • PeteW
    PeteW Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At what stage should I start to use tomato feed on my plants? How big do the plants need to be?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure