We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Capital One 0% until 2007 - experiences on how long it takes to get decision?

Options
Dear All

I tried to apply online for the Capital One card (0% BT until 2007). Although the site says "decision within 1 minute" I was told my application would need further investigation, and it could take 10-14 days to receive a letter in the post (I have a reasonable credit history/rating BTW).

It's now day 12, and I haven't received anything yet. Has anyone had any experiences of this? Can I read anything in to the length of time it's taking?

I'm beginning to wonder if the delay means I could be heading for a rejection...? Ideally I need to do a balance transfer a.s.a.p and time is running out, so every day counts :-(

I'd welcome feedback from anyone who recently applied for this particular card.

Many thanks
Sarah x

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If "time is running out" you'd be better ringing them on...

"Application enquiries 0800 952 5452 8.00am-9.00pm Mon-Fri & 9.00am - 5.30pm Weekends"
  • bittennails
    Options
    If "time is running out" you'd be better ringing them on...

"Application enquiries 0800 952 5452 8.00am-9.00pm Mon-Fri & 9.00am - 5.30pm Weekends"

Yes, just tried that thanks. A recording says that "due to unprecedented demand" they can not give any further details on applications until 14 days are up. So I'll carry on waiting :-)
    Sarah x
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not that long ago they ran an 18 month 0% on purchases offer which a lot of people went for - it took them ages to reply and a huge majority were offered something different when they finally did get something through the post.

It's for this reason that I'll never go near them again - at present I have a small amount of borrowing on one credit card that's on a 0% offer so don't need to look at balance transfers.

I remember just how many MSE'ers Capital One upset when they did that. Let's just say the thread had numerous posts and you couldn't sit down and read them all.
  • stressedoutmum
    Options
    I had the 14 day letter and got a reply within 12 days. I then got my card and PIN number within one week. Hope that helps.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, just tried that thanks. A recording says that "due to unprecedented demand" they can not give any further details on applications until 14 days are up. So I'll carry on waiting :-)
    Sorry, I was rushing earlier. What I meant to add was to ignore this message and tell the "human" that you're "sure" you applied more than 2 weeks ago - it worked for me a couple of months ago!
  • bittennails
    Options
    Sorry, I was rushing earlier. What I meant to add was to ignore this message and tell the "human" that you're "sure" you applied more than 2 weeks ago - it worked for me a couple of months ago!

Great - just tried that and it worked a treat! Thanks very much :-) Even managed to double check that they are sending me details of the card I asked for (and not trying to fob me off with another one, as someone else warned earlier in this thread).

Thanks again everyone, and especially YorkshireBoy - you've put my mind at rest this evening (just got to pay the balance transfer off now ;-)
    Sarah x
  • steve_r123
    steve_r123 Posts: 512 Forumite
    Options
    My application took about a week to get a decision, then another week to get the card which turned up on friday.

I phoned them up to activate the card and transfer two balances onto it (Barclaycard & Egg) which they diid straight away.

I was quite sceptical about Capital One, after reading some of the things on here about them, but I have been very impressed so far, and the call centre chap seemed to know exactly what he was talking about! (yes, I was shocked too! :D) What makes this all the sweeter is that I wont be paying any interest for more than a year! :)
  • cornholio
    Options
    i've just applied for this card and got the same "we'll write within 14 days" thing - has anyone actually got a decision in the one minute ? my credit rating is v good and I haven't experienced problems with the other instant decision applications I've made online, so this has me slightly worried

Stu
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    If it's not too personal, could the succesful applicants post their offered credit limit?

My experience is that they are lower than expected and of little use if you are looking to transfer even a modest amount.

dc
    ac's lovechild
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Options
    Applied on the Friday that it appeared on the stoozers board (Sept 1st I think). Got £6k limit, muled it via egg money and it got it into my Cahoot 5.3% Savings on 7th Oct, via my cahoot current. Not fast by any means, but I have been away from home on business a lot recently so the Credit Agreement form was sitting on my doorstep for a while!
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure