Jacamo - Credit search without my consent? Is this ok?

Options
124»

Comments

• M3TRiC
    M3TRiC Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 February 2013 at 2:15AM
    Options
    Ok, so after reading through these posts...

IF you go to Jacamo's website and order a catalogue, open an account, or simply or an item from them, they WILL perform a credit check on you, regardless of which option you choose. This is stated in the T&C's, it's even in the small print on the TV advert. The service they provide is credit based, and to be fair to them, although my credit rating was terribly low, they offered me £120 of credit. Since that time, as I've been paying my bills on time, they've increased my credit limit to £400. All I can really suggest to anyone looking at this company or similar companies, is to actually read all the small print before doing ANYTHING. I knew they would carry out a credit search so I was ok with that, because I read the small print. Overall Jacamo has been nothing but good for me. My credit rating has gone up, they've delivered when they said they would, and all has been fine. I receive statements well before any payments are due, and honestly don't have a bad word to say about them. The same thing stands for other companies, I know Next was mentioned, just read the T's & C's!
  • pmbsa
    Options
    I had the misfortune of innocently returning items to jacamo asking for them to simply be swapped... Jacamo took it app-on themselves to refund me for the purchase and then open a credit account for me to pay for the items.
    Much like others I had been throwing there mail away as junk mail only to discover today that they where actually statements and I am now overdue!
    When I called them to query how it was even legal to open a credit account without a signature they told me I had ticked a box on the internet and that the credit agreement had been sent to me in the mail to sign... Needless to say the account is now very closed and I have been removed from there system.
    I really think people need to be warned about Jacamo if that possible. They are seriously dodgy.
  • Lee71
    Options
    I was first introduced to this company when I received 2 packages containing clothing that I had not ordered (nor do I take a size 16 outfit) Called the company first to ascertain why I had received the packages but they claimed that I had ordered the items myself and quoted my name and address along with a fictitious hotmail email address.
    When speaking to them I was advised that there had also been a Credit check made on my name and address ?
    At this point I started making online enquiries about this company and discovered a number of unhappy responses enough for me to be vary wary in how I dealt with them from the offset. (although this did not prevent them from living up to my expectations)
    I was first directed to the fraud department (Yes they have a department specifically dedicated to this?)
    I was advised that this happens quite a lot according to their adviser this is due to people copying peoples data and then changing the delivery address at the last minute although this did not happen with myself. I asked them why they had not put stricter procedures eg. The things you would normally expect a Credit check company to do prior to conducting a check perhaps having an Information release form etc but they were not happy to hear my thoughts on this.
    They arranged for the goods to be returned via the same courier that had delivered it and advised me the account would be deleted.
    I took copies of everything including the receipt for the return of the goods however somehow this company still managed to claim that there is an outstanding balance ??? as they did not receive all the goods ?
    I sent my 3rd complaint in and was advised that someone had responded ... but this was clearly not received by me
    I am completely amazed that a company is able to operate in this way. There is absolutely nothing to stop them using details found on a credit agency records (of which they will have access) and creating as many accounts as they like, sending out goods and then pretending not to receive them back. They will stick to their story even if you supply them with the receipt from the couriers).
    How many times might they have got away with this ?
    Somehow from not ever hearing of this company before I now have an account with them ... they have credit checked me and for good measure ... I owe them money ???
    I am still stunned despite anticipating this chain of events the moment I discovered the company had the ability to credit check me without any legitimate approval.
    If this company is not up to no good then there is a definite flaw in their process which allows 3rd parties, Members of their sales force or someone in their employment to manipulate their process. Despite there being a number of ways to address this the company seems reluctant to do anything about it ? Their response ... Thank you for letting us know ... you now owe us £XXXXX
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Lee I don't doubt your story one bit - however they credit scored you at your home address and sent the goods to your home address. I assume verified you to electoral role at same address.
    What more could they do?

Are you sure one of your ''mates'' have not made this up to wind you up?

I agree how they dealt with you after is disgraceful and after checking your credit files I would send a registered letter to their complaints department outlining 3 things.

1 You did not make the order so do not owe them anything.
    2 A polite request for compensation covering your time in checking your credit files and telephone costs in dealing with them.
    3 A compensation amount if they have left marks on your credit files which are not correct.

Keep us informed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport