Jacamo - Credit search without my consent? Is this ok?

Options

Comments

• ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just out of interest, was the search listed as a formal application for credit, or just un 'unrecorded' enquiry?

The reason I ask is because an unrecorded enquiry has no effect on your credit status as it is not seen by other lenders.

I had one of these a couple of years ago when I put my details into a motor insurance comparison site. One of the insurers made the enquiry. I was as mad as hell at the time but because of the unrecorded nature of the enquiry I couldn't really complain that I had been prejudiced in any way.
  • magicdogsbrain
    Options
    No it is a proper search.

I looked over the application again - which looks for all the world like a standard registration login account (like M&S for example) - but buried in a scroll window was a "data protection" statement explaining how a search will be done.

There should be some minimum requirment of display size and prompt for a website.

Anyway - I hope people think twice before buying from this shop again. BTW, the company (Sander & Kay) are also a debt collection agency!
  • humblebumble_2
    Options
    For what its worth Jacamo is part of the vast group (used to be JD Williams) that also own Ambrose Wilson, Simply Be, Viva La Diva, Premier Man and many more mail order catalogues.
  • fiscalfool
    fiscalfool Posts: 91 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2009 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Hi All

I spotted this thread, while searching for Jacamo.

I'm rather concerned. This morning I've had two emails from Jacamo confirming my account number, and another with my password. Strange thing is that I've never asked for an account with them. Last week I had a look at the site, but didn't like their products. Incidentally the password contained personal information, but was not of the style that I would use.

I logged into the account to check what details they had for me, it had my home and mobile phone number, and also my home address. I am VERY concerned. I spoke with a joker friend, who confirmed that he didn't setup the account.

I've emailed them and asked them to close my account and provide me with the IP address of the person setting up the account, so that I may go to the police.

Then I found this thread stating that they probably performed a credit search on me too! GREEEEAT.

Edit: Highlighted in bold for "Those hard of reading" .... "I did not create an account myself ... some other person/organisation has".
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From Jacamo's website:
    http://www.jacamo.co.uk/shop/policies?decoration=true&finalTarget=policies_rights
    We will make searches about you at credit reference agencies who will supply us with credit information, as well as information from the Electoral Register. The agencies will record details of the search whether or not credit is granted. We may use credit-scoring methods to assess your application and to verify your identity. Credit searches and other information which is provided to us and/or the credit reference agencies, about you and those with whom you are linked financially may be used by J D Williams & Company Limited, our associated companies within the JD Williams group of companies ("the Group") and other third-party organisations outside the Group when credit decisions are made about you or other members of your household. This information may also be used for debt tracing and the prevention of money laundering as well as the management of your account and also for our marketing. We may also use your information, including shopping habits, to open and run your credit account including payment recovery, fraud prevention and debtor tracing and for our marketing. Unless you have previously stated otherwise, we may share your information with our associated companies within the Group and other carefully selected third party organisations outside the Group. We or they may contact you for marketing purposes by mail, telephone, electronic mail or otherwise.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • fiscalfool
    Options
    Hi Olly,

Thanks for quoting that ... but you missed the bit where I said :"I did not sign up for an account!" Had I signed up, then I wouldn't have minded.

Plus why don't they use some kind of email address verification such as "Please confirm by clicking this URL that you have requested an account at Jacamo" before proceeding with the account creation.

All this leaves me with now, is to get them to cancel the account WHICH I DIDN'T create, and to contact all the credit reference agencies to tell them I didn't authorise the credit search as I didn't create the account.

What a faff.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Just seen a tv ad for this company - it does state quite clearly on screen that they will open an account for you (presumably even if you do not even order anything) and will conduct a credit search on you.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is the way virtually all catalogue companies operate.

The online business is supplementary to their main catalogue 'book'. Traditionally catalogues have always worked on a credit account basis, since their prices are so high and the only benefit is to be able to 'buy now pay later' and spread payments over a long period. Cash buyers are not the normal customer profile.

I think this is a case of not reading the small print. That said I would imagine if you write to them with your concerns they may well remove the search.

UNDERGROUND :D
  • fiscalfool
    Options
    My issue (again) is that I didn't want an account with them, I didn't create an account with them, somebody else has. But by virtue of someone else creating an account in my name, without my permission, I have been credit searched.

I've contacted Jacamo today and need to call back tomorrow to the "Account Investigation Team".

I need to ensure that the account falsely created in my name is closed, and also that all credit reference searches they performed are removed.

I mean, every internet forum you join these days sends you an email to confirm you want to join before you are allowed to post. Why not do that with online traders such as this bunch of clowns?
  • PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    Jarvy wrote: »
    My issue (again) is that I didn't want an account with them, I didn't create an account with them, somebody else has. But by virtue of someone else creating an account in my name, without my permission, I have been credit searched.

I've contacted Jacamo today and need to call back tomorrow to the "Account Investigation Team".

I need to ensure that the account falsely created in my name is closed, and also that all credit reference searches they performed are removed.

I mean, every internet forum you join these days sends you an email to confirm you want to join before you are allowed to post. Why not do that with online traders such as this bunch of clowns?

Not sure if they will do this, but their is a high chance that a cifas warning will be issued by them to protect you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure