MoneySavingExpert.com Cheap Train Tickets Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• sminto
    sminto Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    can anyone offer advice.. myself and my daughter need to travel to london from manchester on fri 29th august at 7am returning to manchester late saturday night 30th august..
    we are on a really really tight budget. any advice on finding cheap train tickets please??????
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sminto wrote: »
    can anyone offer advice..
    <snip>
    You could try reading this article...
    entitled...
    Cheap Train Tickets
    how to find hidden fares

People are usually happy to help, but it would be really good if you could demonstrate that you are trying to help yourself. :D
  • Spudnik_2
    Spudnik_2 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

On Saturday I'm going to London - it'll be one adult and two kids with a family rail card. We went last Friday and paid about £30 for the tickets (2 singles), but the cheapest way I can see of doing it this time is buying two singles rather than a saver return which will cost £43.65 (via thetrainline.com). Before I purchase, I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper way of making the journey from Derby to London? I'm very willing to split - I have produced a list of the prices to every station from every other station en-route, but thought I might ask in case someone already has experience of this before I try to work it out!

We're aiming to leave Derby at around 10am and catch a return train at 6-ish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Shelle
    Shelle Posts: 353 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know how much the cheap advance fares are from Newcastle to Edinburgh?

I am hoping to get cheap tickets when released at the end of the week (for travel on 29/11 there and 30/11 return), but would be great to have an idea of what it will be released as to help plan the budget for accomodation.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shelle wrote: »
    Anyone know how much the cheap advance fares are from Newcastle to Edinburgh?

I am hoping to get cheap tickets when released at the end of the week (for travel on 29/11 there and 30/11 return), but would be great to have an idea of what it will be released as to help plan the budget for accomodation.

Look at what they are for a date that has been released.

And I very much doubt if they will be released at the end of the week, particularly as you will be travelling at a weekend.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spudnik, please don't use thetrainline.com. You will get the tickets cheaper almost anywhere else... no credit card fees, no postage charge etc.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    London Saver tickets on First Capital Connect Great Northern (to Huntingdon and King's Lynn) seem to have gone up again. Tickets for Dartford instead of London seem to be the old price and always change at Kings Cross. Possibly forbidden, but I doubt they can spot it, it can save you over a fiver per ticket and it serves them right for the continuing lack of Advance tickets on those routes. Anyone else seen this on other London-Network South East tickets?
  • Lord_Robson
    Options
    :confused:What is it about travelling to Plymouth? I get 2 singles travelling from Guildford (changing at Reading) for £21 economy and £44 first class, whereas 2 singles Guildford/London £18!

Also London to Paris by Eurostar 2 singles at £29.50.

I don't understand why some places have great deals and others don't!
  • rangermcfadden
    Options
    sandbyte wrote: »
    Southern offer this DaySave £10 off peak ticket for travel within its area, but it is only available online and must be booked 7 -14 days before the travel date. Order a Group ticket and up to 4 adults can travel on the £20 ticket, plus up to 4 children per adult for £1 each. We use it for day trips to London from the south coast.

In addition to the DaySave, Southern also offers the All Network Downlander and South Coast Downlander e-tickets.

The All Network Downlander costs £12.50 and allows unlimited off-peak travel on the entire Southern Network plus some travel on some bus routes around the South Coast.

The South Coast Downlander costs £10 and allows unlimited off-peak travel on Southern trains around the South Coast area plus travel on the same bus routes.

One big benefit of these tickets is that they can be purchased 2 days before travel since they are e-tickets. Good if you missed the deadline for the DaySave.

The big drawback is that you have to pay for every person using it (i.e. there is no group discount).

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=281
  • jeandet
    Options
    Hi

my computer skills are limited and have gone cross eyed trying to work out the cheapest route and days to travel, i generally go from Southend to Hull once a month whats the cheapest way, its to visit my man for the weekend, is travelling thursday a better option as i usually go Friday, same with return Sunday would Monday be better. Journay goes to Liverpool street then by tube to Kingscross, Kings Cross to Doncaster then Doncaster to Hull.

:confused: Jean x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport