MoneySavingExpert.com Cheap Train Tickets Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have given no clues about when you want to travel. An Advance Single for (arbitarily) an off peak journey on 7 August can be had for £44.50.

If you are eligible for any railcard, it will probably worth getting one if you are expecting to do a return trip.

It may well be worth splitting. Try it and see.

Yes, you can buy any tickets you like all at the same time.
  • sinbad3_2
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    articlealert.gif

This thread is specifically for discussing the content of the updated
    To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    If you wish to report a good split ticketing route, please use the

Hi just a question hope some 1 can help got delayed they offered full refund but i dont have tickets now. will it matter as they contacted me so they know i was on the train?? any answers please post thanks
  • sinbad3_2
    Options
    Hi just a question hope some 1 can help got delayed they offered full refund but i dont have tickets now. will it matter as they contacted me so they know i was on the train?? any answers please post thanks.
  • KeithP
    Options
    Sinbad3, welcome to the forum.

Why have you posted this on the Cheap Train Tickets Article discussion?
    Don't say you didn't know, you've just posted a massive quote telling us all.

No I do not believe you will get a refund without the ticket.

Ask for one and see. You have nothing to lose.
  • traveller2
    traveller2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    thanks guys for the advice about hanging on for advance tickets from Southampton tp Reading

Now I'm after any advice you can offer for the cheapest way to get from Reading to St Ives in a couple of weeks, again on a Saturday, and back the following week.

Some sections of the jounrey I can get cheap, and others horrendously expensive.
    Is there any way round it?

Thanks
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    traveller2 wrote: »
    thanks guys for the advice about hanging on for advance tickets from Southampton tp Reading

Now I'm after any advice you can offer for the cheapest way to get from Reading to St Ives in a couple of weeks, again on a Saturday, and back the following week.

Some sections of the jounrey I can get cheap, and others horrendously expensive.
    Is there any way round it?

Thanks

No there's no way round it other than pricing up advance singles and looking at split ticketing or a combination of the two. Looks as though you've done this.

If you are eligible for a railcard it can help.

Or maybe travelling the day before/after.
  • sparklygemster
    Options
    We have just booked tickets for Sheffield-London St Pancras in September on thetrainline.com, £14 each going down and £31 each back, both first class, both booked as singles and works out cheaper than the standard return!

They weren't up there the other day when i looked, and dont know how long they will be at those prices for.
  • KeithP
    Options
    Sparklygemster, if you had bought them from anyone other that The Trainline, you would have saved the creditcard fees and postage fees.
  • SwingsNroundabouts
    Options
    Thank you to Beate for the link for the Chiltern Rail text-tickets. I need to get to Coventry on Friday 8th of August and so far I'm not having much luck ;_;

If I can get to Birmingham from Durham, or direct to Coventry from Durham cheaply that'd be fantastic. It's my first holiday in 7 years, due to disability it's also the first time I've been able to go anywhere unchaperoned! If I can get to Birmingham cheaply I can use the text ticket to London Marylebone (catch another train from there to Coventry) and maybe only pay £5 for that part of my journey!

Any advice or information that'd help would be gratefully recieved, as with the prices as they are, I won't have any spending money for my trip!

Swings
    £100 Christmas Challenge! 20 people to buy for!
    Total presents so far: 13 Total cost: £67.60 Time: 36 hours
    Claiming Back CC PPI!
    Competition Stuff
    Won So Far: £10 Amazon Voucher
    Pigsback Vouchers: £7.70 So far! £115.50 Still Owed (pay me PigsBack!)
    Quidco Cashback: £11.48 So far! £111.66 Still Owed! (slooow cashback!)

I want a wii by Christmas Club Member 47

• holly413
    Options
    i am lookin for cheap train tickets from warrington to newcastle in september does anyone no where i should look for the best deal?? promotions? or another way of gettin there? cheap buses
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport