Ebay advise needed: Paid for item via Paypal, Item not delivered :(

Successfully bid on a computer motherboard on the 16th of Sep.
Today 29th Sep no communication and NO motherboard.

Before the auction all questions were answered within a day. Even after auction seller stated that he would send me a mail as soon as he sent item. That was on 16th Sep.

Paid via Paypal BUT didn't think and funds were taken from bank account and not credit card :(

Sent 4 mails from hotmail and Ebay account over the last 2 weeks and not one reply. Noticed that seller gave someone else he had purchased from good feedback on the 19th (3days after i paid him).

What's my best option... to wait / contact Ebay/Paypal or something else ??

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    start a paypal chargeback this evening. It doesn't matter that you paid via bank and not credit card, paypal will still find in your favour if the seller cannot prove delivery of your item.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Me a bit of a newbie... How do start a chargeback...???? :(
  • CrazySaver wrote:
    Me a bit of a newbie... How do start a chargeback...???? :(

Go into My Ebay and on the left hand side you have My Summary. At the bottom of that there is a link called Dispute Console - click on there and then on Report an Item not received or not as described (you will need the item number) then the rest will guide you through - the seller then has 10 days to respond, if he does not do so, paypal will find in your favour.

Beware though, I have had to do this twice and both times Paypal has found in my favour but ther seller has had insufficient funds in their paypal account to refund my money

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Thanks for the info ... appreciated.

Rebecca22 wrote:
    seller has had insufficient funds in their paypal account to refund my money

What happened ?? Did you get anything back ?
  • What happened ?? Did you get anything back ?[/QUOTE]

not the first time as it came straight out my bank. The second time was on credit card and they refunded my money then chased paypal - paypal had the cheek to send an email saying next time I shoud try their chargeback procedure before going to the credit card company!
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I did what soolin suggested. On Monday the item was finally delivered and seller apologised saying he hadn't forwarded my details to his office properly. I had sent him three emails with no reply but starting a chargeback I got the items within a week. He also apologised for delay in feedback aswell :). So it was worth doing :) Good Luck.
  • Thanks. Hope he delivers.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back if he's not got anything in his Paypal account and I've paid Paypal through my Bank Account.
  • soolin
    Rebecca22 wrote:
    Go into My Ebay and on the left hand side you have My Summary. At the bottom of that there is a link called Dispute Console - click on there and then on Report an Item not received or not as described (you will need the item number) then the rest will guide you through - the seller then has 10 days to respond, if he does not do so, paypal will find in your favour.

Beware though, I have had to do this twice and both times Paypal has found in my favour but ther seller has had insufficient funds in their paypal account to refund my money

Hope this helps and good luck!

Do the chargeback through paypal not through ebay, just log into your paypal account and then click on resolution centre and go from there.

As Lara says just starting the chargeback sometimes 'jogs' the seller into doing something, quite often the seller will resolve it rather than let the chargeback go through.

If there is no money in the sellers account then any funds going in later will be held for you, so you should be fine if the seller is still selling as there will be a steady turn over of money.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Soo

Is there a reason for doing it through Paypal rather than ebay ? (just wondered)
  • soolin
    CrazySaver wrote:
    Soo

Is there a reason for doing it through Paypal rather than ebay ? (just wondered)

Just me being cautious. I understand that if you do a chargeback through ebay yet paid by paypal that it will automatically convert to a paypal chargeback, but I would be worried that for some reason it would show as an ebay claim, and then be subject to an upper claim limit and a £15 administration fee.

If you go through paypal there is no possibility that it can be mistakenly processed as an ebay claim, and you'd then get the full amount back with no admin charge.

As I say, I tend to be very cautious with things like this and wouldn't want there to be any chance that ebay might get something wrong and jeopordise my refund.

Soo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure