PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Obtaining quotes for repairs (Homebuyers Survey)

Hi,

Got the report back from the surveyors at the weekend and unsurprisingly found the usual things wrong with an 1800's house (damp, timber problems, cracked render).

The valuation in the report suggested the house in its present stat was worth £2500 less than what we offered and the cost of essential repairs shouldn't cost more than £2,500 (a little optimistic I believe)

The report has gone to the Estate Agent today after I spoke to them yesterday saying that we would need to negotiate on the price further since the mortgage company have reduced the amount they will lend us following the new valuation of the house. I also mentioned the work that would need to be done and stressed that we were already at the top end of our budget so if after quotes the work turned out to be essential we would be looking for the vendor to share some of the costs of donig the work.

The EA said that they have a builder that they use for assessing the work needed to be done on properties (I guess they probably use this when making the initial valuation) and he would be able to give us an estimate on how much it would cost to do the work highlighted in the report.
Does anyone think this sounds a bit dodgy, using a builder associated with the EA to get quotes on the work? I know we don't have to use the EA's builder but if they are giving low quotes then the EA may only be able to negotiate a smaller amount off the price leaving us with more expensive work to do compared to what we've saved.

I've read a coupld of threads on here about problems coming back from surveys, but if anyone's got any advice on whether we should just stick with independent contractors or if you think the EA's builder is kosha then that'd be great.

The two things that the report marked as urgent I don't think are essential to have done before we move in, and to be fair were quite obvious (to a lesser extent) when we viewed the house - are we going to be likely getting the vendor down below £101,000 (the new valuation)?

Thanks in advance :)

~Alex~

Comments

• Hi there,
    We have just been through exactly the same thing and we used the builders that the estate agent recommended. It was fine but we may have been lucky.
    They actually told me that they had told the vendor four yrs ago about a problem with the chimney. The vendor chose not to tell us about it at the viewing even though I had my suspisions and asked.
    The knocked the price down a bit more and they have agreed to pay for half the costs. Although the mortgage company did not withhold any money.
    Hope that helps!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It is becoming a common occurence that mortgage valuations are coming in under the offered price. If it happens with your valuation on this house, it can happen with anyone's so the vendor would be wise to drop the price accordingly. £2,500 shouldn't break the bank - if it does, they shouldn't be moving!

I doubt the agent is using the builder for their own purposes, I think they probably get asked that much for recommendations, they now have one. I should think you'll be okay - he won't be a cowboy at least.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Thanks to both for your advice, I'm sure the builder's fine - it just struck me a bit strange when the agent said: "oh well we have a builder who will be able to come round and give some quotes on the work that needs doing by the way"

No doubt I'll be back on here with more questions once more things get underway :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure