Who'd you put on a £100 note?

Comments

• Ok, very funny, I enjoyed the joke list. Where's the real one?
    Cav
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Ok, very funny, I enjoyed the joke list. Where's the real one?
    Cav
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

Love your name by the way!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • MSE_Andrea wrote:
    Poll started 27 September 2005. If the Royal Mint were to issue £100 notes, which of the following would you pick to have their face on the back-side of the Queen?

I'm sure the Bank of England would be complaining bitterly as the Royal Mint is only concerned with coinage (minted in Llantrisant - often referred to as "the hole with the mint in it") - the Bank of England produces the notes (in England) and we already have a selection of £100 notes available up here.....
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The only two people on the list worthy of any consideration are Sir Winston Churchill and Lady Thatcher. R J Mitchell (the inventor of the Spitfire aircraft) should also be included. It is surely "taking the mickey" to even suggest the likes of Blair, Bono or the former Princess of Wales.

The former Princess of Wales is in second place at the moment. :eek:
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • On the back of the £100 note, as a reminder to forgers, I would put the head of Tom Keating. For the young or short memoried he was the man who inadvertently gave his name to the cockney slang lexicon = Cheating. He made some brilliant forgeries of old masters, but even he got caught!
  • dchurch24
    dchurch24 Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Surely people like Alan Turin (probably too contraversial due to his being gay), George Kayleigh (if that's how you spell it), Alexanda Graham Bell and maybe even George Orwell (even though he was born in India) should be considered. Just to remind us that once apon a time Britain actually did produce and invent things.

Mind you, it wouldn't remind me all that often - I can't even remember the last time I saw a £50 note :-)
  • It's customary and I feel important not to make celebs think even more of themselves and only put people on banknotes who are ALREADY dead.

So suggestions for Judi Dench et al seem inappropriate... unless someone wants to bump them all off?

Also I think it should always be people who have played a major part in history, VOLUNTARILY (not like the Royals who are born into it). People the Bank of England have used in the past like George Stevenson, Charles Dickens, Florence Nightingale etc.

Although various Prime Ministers have been notorious at their time or around that period in the grand scheme of History will we really remember Tony Blair? Think in terms of space exploration, the atom bomb, discovery of Australia etc! I reckon in 100 years most will barely know who was prime minister in 2005 than I know who was in 1905.... (no I honestly don't want to know thanks).

So out of that list I think Logie Baird is a good candidate. However how about some other suggestions?
    "Brunel" perhaps? Great engineer he was.

Also I presume we want to restrict to British persons? Otherwise "Albert Einstein" another good choice...
  • Considering this is the 200th anniversary of Trafalgar, I would have thought that Admiral Nelson should be the obvious choice to put on £100 note. Having said that, he wouldn't see the light of day very often because a "tonner" as it might be called would be a bit impractical. Can't remember the last time I saw a £50 note.
  • Tony Blair you did say the backside of the Queen
  • Swattie
    Swattie Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just love it that at the moment Simon Cowell is beating Tony Blair in the poll.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure