Options
1235»

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    I'm good at maths (pretty damn good) so I get the price off them in both & work out the best deal, taking into account IF I do pay in Lira the rate I got when I bought those Lira.

I tried that when I was in Istanbul. To my astonishment, there was no gain for me by choosing to pay in a different currency. Those merchants are really up to speed on exchange rates, and operate effectively in at least three currencies.
  • boglin
    boglin Posts: 430 Forumite
    Options
    In the Kalkan area we got a better rate of exchange than in UK and found that shops also offered a better rate (a week ago they were offering 2.40), making payment in sterling much more common than when we went last year. Sellers seem to like sterling and we got better prices offering that than local currency.

We were delayed at Dalaman airport and really annoyed to discover that we COULD have taken our water through instead of dumping it before going through security - we ended up paying a fortune for bottled water. The food is also a rip-off so it's always better to eat en route to the airport if you can allow extra time.
  • robb2002
    robb2002 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Hey everyone, I have booked a holiday for next week Monday 15th June. I don't know what to do moneywise. Shall I convert a few £ into Lira or just leave it all until I get there? I have a bed an breakfast and I am only looking to spend about £200 is this a reality?
    Is the exchange rate better over there, I am going to Marmaris. Also I was thinking another option would be to take my HSBC bank card as they are pretty good with exchange rates and I will just take it out at the airport. Is that a good idea?
    How cheap are the prices there if anyone had been recently?

Also has anyone been to Rhodes (Greek Island) from Marmaris and if so how much was this and it is practical to do so?

Sorry about all the questions, I appreciate your help.
    Rob:j
    IF I HAVE BEEN OF USE TO YOU, THEN PLEASE CLICK THAT THANKS BUTTON :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure